This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toilet Paper Substitute?

This is a great thread, I haven't thought of what to do after the toliet paper runs out. I will be stocking up on baby wipes. Thank you all.

Comment

Yesterday I went to Gordon Food Supply and bought a package of Triumph Moist Towelettes. 100 in the pack, individually foil wrapped..$1.79.
      I plan on using them to wash the face and hands if potable water is not available. I'll put a few in my car too.
      They could also be used to keep the bottom clean, I suppose.
      They are very moist and have a slight lemon scent.
      I never purchased anything like this before, so here is what is says on the packages:
      Here is your moist towelette, a strong napkin size towelette moistened with a pleasant lemon scented cleansing lotion. Lanolin free. Cleans and refreshes when soap and water are not available..Dries in seconds leaving skin soft and smooth.
      (and it did)
      I am pleased with them.

If there is a Gordon's near you, go buy a bag and try them out.
      Gordon Food Service is a prominent family-owned food distributor in Grand Rapids, MI, serving restaurants, healthcare, and schools.

I am not affiliated with the company in any way. Its just a hobby of mine to stay clean.
      TOILET PAPER FACTS:
      http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/...cyclopedia.htm

I don't know if they ship products out: 1-800-968-6474

Should the plumbing not work during a pandemic, and you must make a temporary outhouse, just use the yellow pages instead of your toilet paper.. It works just fine. We used the telephone book pages in our outhouse years ago, whenever we ran out of toilet paper. A 3 seater super-deluxe outhouse.. complete with hornets' nests and flies. I know I won't have any trouble adjusting. I have a lot of past experience

I just found this:

I suppose there are other brands like it for sale.

This is about the guy that went into the toilet booth in Grand Central Station,
      sat down and had a bowel movement before he realized that there was no toilet paper.
      Luckily someone entered the adjoining booth so he called over to him and asked if he had any toilet paper over there.
      The reply came back, "No, there was no toilet paper".
      "Well, is there any newspaper over there?"
      "No, no newspaper over here".
      "How about a paper bag?"
      "No, no paper bag."
      Then after a few moments of silence -
      "Have you got two fives for a ten?"
      (Robert Lyons)

Comment

Sam's club online,(www.samsclub.com) in their hurricane section, has bath cloths and shampoo caps. The shampoo caps require no rinsing, you just put them on, rub the shampoo in, and take them off, I reckon. They're kinda expensive, looks like they were developed for the home health market. The bath cloths give a sponge bath with no rinsing necessary, kills odors too.
        Or you can rub a little baby powder into your hair, not much or you'll look like a U.K. Judge, it looks freshly washed afterward. I had a neighbor who did that a lot, and her hair always looked better than mine, and I shampoo every day, while she shampooed every two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          Easier to stock up on toilet paper, you only need 100-300 rolls depending on plan and family size and if you by a trunk you could dquease them all flat'ish into it.
          If some one in the home eats something that disagrees with them - Lets face it: a lot of folks may have systems that will take some time adjusting to a change of diet - beans, rice, powdered milk and dehydrated foods, etc. - there may be some diarrhoea. That may cause a family to go through a a lot of tp.

If someone comes down with a stomach bug, food poisoning or even a nasty common cold a lot of tp may be needed. Exspecially if it goes thru the entire house hold.
          We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

I am wondering about the use of facial tissue.. It would dispense nicely and cut down on using more than necessary, and stacks well for space considerations. The cheap stuff can be a real bargin..

Comment

Tissues are a viable alternative but still more expensive than TP. Instead choose baby wipes. Baby wipes are a very good item to have on hand for several reasons.
              They will sub nicely for tp if it runs out.
              Tender backsides are soothed if diarrhea is a problem. Some products are even medicated.
              Will help with cleanliness issues if water runs short. Considering this item may be kept on a shelf, takes up little room, and will help you feel refreshed even if bathing is impossible, it is worth the expense.
              Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
              Thank you,
              Shannon Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Aimee View Post
                I am wondering about the use of facial tissue.. It would dispense nicely and cut down on using more than necessary, and stacks well for space considerations. The cheap stuff can be a real bargin..
                Just don't flush it. It is very effective at clogging toilets!
                Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

If this runs on a long time, and we run out of toilet paper, I'm making wipe cloths out of old t-shirts and other soft old clothes that I would normally have thrown out, (but kept in case I needed them.)

Also if paper towels run out, it's back to rags from old clothes that were not soft enough to become wipe cloths.

The plan is to use the wipe cloths in place of tp and then drop the used one in a bucket of water with 10% bleach in it. -- wash each day and hang on clothes line to dry.

BTW - move clothes line off the ground floor to prevent theft of clothes. Back in the 50's it was not unusual to find someone had helped themselves to something on your clothesline that they liked -- luckily only happened 1-2x a year, but still - why tempt fate? Mine is out a bedroom window to the top of the storage shed. It's a pulley system so I can hang clothes on it and pull the line to get free space for the next item to hang.

Comment

Originally posted by kr105 View Post
                    If this runs on a long time, and we run out of toilet paper, I'm making wipe cloths out of old t-shirts and other soft old clothes that I would normally have thrown out, (but kept in case I needed them.)

Also if paper towels run out, it's back to rags from old clothes that were not soft enough to become wipe cloths.

The plan is to use the wipe cloths in place of tp and then drop the used one in a bucket of water with 10% bleach in it. -- wash each day and hang on clothes line to dry.

BTW - move clothes line off the ground floor to prevent theft of clothes. Back in the 50's it was not unusual to find someone had helped themselves to something on your clothesline that they liked -- luckily only happened 1-2x a year, but still - why tempt fate? Mine is out a bedroom window to the top of the storage shed. It's a pulley system so I can hang clothes on it and pull the line to get free space for the next item to hang.
                    Good tips, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X