Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guidance for Schools 2009-2010

A personal advice:

Parents, if your child get infected at school by H1N1, consult your doctor in the first 48 hours of symptoms. The antiviral Tamiflu makes the sickness last a shorter time and be less severe. It is important to start taking it in the first 48 hours of symptoms.

"The symptoms of novel H1N1 flu virus in people are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. A significant number of people who have been infected with novel H1N1 flu virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting. "

"How does Tamiflu work?

Viruses cannot reproduce on their own. To reproduce, a virus latches onto a living cell inside some organism, inserts its genetic material into that "host" cell, and takes over the cell's reproductive "machinery." The virus makes copies of itself - maybe hundreds. (Sooner or later, this kills the infected cell - causing disease.) All of those new viruses break out of the host cell and start the process over, attacking other cells.

But what if the new viruses can't get out? This is where Tamiflu comes in. Tamiflu traps the new viruses inside the host cell. Eventually, the viruses die.

If you want to really get scientific: Two proteins on the surface of the virus enable it to enter and exit the host cell. The first protein, hemagluttinin, lets the virus attach to the cell and inject genetic material inside. The second protein, neuraminidase, then opens the cell membrane to let the new viruses out. Tamiflu inhibits the work of neuraminidase; that's why you hear Tamiflu called a "neuraminidase inhibitor." Another tidbit: Hemagluttinin is the "H" and Neuraminidase is the "N" used in naming virus subtypes -

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Sorry to all,

But my accessibility is limited, so I have not read what is preceding, I just respond to the title (I do my best)

I still have three children studying,

One at the University (Twitter)

Two in Elementary School.

For the young ones, I let them go one week at the time, I am well plugded in my region (daily number of medical visit, hospital status, Communications Impacts, etc..

Of course if things turns bad, I will pull them out, the youger son will get out of University.

The Older one will come in our Bunker.

I work from home on the computer so the money get deposited. Things are easier for me.

But for parents, working outside and rush for the breakfeast and at night times, sorry Gentlemans, but these are mostly women...

You will have a choice to make and you already know what it will be.

No Rush, Timing is the Essence.

If its too hot, get them around you in das bunker.

Tranquil Consciousness

Snowy

Comment

From the Georgia forum
        A window 3 weeks into the future for us in Florida
        Will we learn?

Windwaker
        Senior User

Schools send sick kids home
        Posted: Aug 18, 2009 4:07 PM CDT

Updated: Aug 18, 2009 4:18 PM CDT

Schools deal with flu symptoms

Thomasville, GA (WALB) - Everyday, dozens of school kids all over south Georgia are heading home early with flu-like symptoms. In Thomas County over 100 were sent home Tuesday.

And it looks as though it's going to get worse before it gets better. The problem now is kids are flooding emergency rooms, doctors offices, and drug stores.

Nurses are taking every precaution, and sending kids home with even the slightest flu symptom. And telling them not to come back until 24 hours after a fever is gone, without using fever reducing medicine.

Thomas County kids started classes three weeks ago. Now everyday, dozens of kids are sent home with H1N1 flu symptoms. "Our volume picked up about a week and a half ago. And it has steadily accelerated with yesterday being one of the busiest days we've had here in a couple of years," said Carol Ann Redfearn of Archbold Urgent Care.

Archbold Urgent Care saw 80 patients Monday, most of them school-aged. Because when kids are sent home from school, they make an immediate stop at the doctor's office.

The Pediatric Center they saw 150 kids with flu like symptoms. In order to take care of the large number of kids, they brought on an extra doctor and even stayed until 6PM, an hour after they close. But health officials say heading straight to a doctor often does more harm than good.

"You're exposing others to your virus, and exposing yourself to other harmful viruses. So Unless you are a high risk patient or have symptoms that include difficulty breathing or vomiting, it's best to stay home," said Redfearn.

"We've had a lot of children come in with swine flu, to fill prescriptions," said Jeff Cox of Murphy Drugs.

A lot of doctors are filling out prescriptions for Tamiflu Drug stores are crowded, too. Murphy Drugs even ran out of the liquid form of Tamiflu last Friday.

But again, health officials say the average person doesn't need Tamiflu. Only patients who are in the high risk category. "If you're sick you need to stay home and if you have a fever take Tylenol and stay well hydrated and stay away from people who are not in good health," said Redfearn.

High risk patients include people who are pregnant, have asthma or diabetes, have poor immune systems or have a chronic illness.

Again health officials are stressing home care for people with flu symptoms unless you are high risk OR have difficulty breathing, are vomiting, OR if flu-like symptoms go away, and then return again with a high fever or worse cough.

Also, you can fight the flu by hand washing constantly, and avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

The emergency room in Thomasville has also been crowded with patients with flu-like symptoms. Archbold's ER saw about 25 flu patients Monday, and most of them didn't need emergency care.

Comment

Other links within Flutrackers

Pandemic Flu School Action Kit - printable binder
          http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13137
          Note this link is geared towards avian influenza but the processes will be the same.

I am looking for resources to help parents KEEP children who are sick at home.
          I have to note with irony and sadness that I work for a state agency responsible for the welfare of the mentally ill and for families and children.
          Yet due to the budget crisis and increasing work load the entity is increasingly punitive to those employees who call off for unscheduled sick leave. I assume that other employers are also getting more desperate to avoid paying for sick leave. Yet if the parents leave a sick child at home alone then they may be open to neglect charges.

A dilemma that needs more attention.

Thornton MD
          Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

Lili from the French Forum post what the Education Minister of France has said yesterday.

There will be two TV Networks used for continuity of Education, the Internet will be used and the phone with the teachers.

And they will proceed by small modules one after the other, this is the best solution I found yet in all the Nations I am watching

Cf to

Snowy

Comment

The school my grandchildren attend post lessons, homework, etc. on their site on web. Very useful in past without crisis looming.

This would be action parents could address immediately as they return their children to school over the next few weeks. Perhaps, finding a way to set up such a system if not available; there may be parents with IT background.

Also great opportunity in keeping communication open between schools/ families in community re: h1n1.

Comment

Working...
              X