Water Supplies in a Pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Supplies in a Pandemic

Submitted by a reader to crofsblog [ http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2...ies_.html#more ]:

I work for a state agency assisting the water supply industry for my state. As such, I have access to water treatment plant operators and an understanding of water supply systems. My purpose in telling you this is to establish credibility.

I am definitely not authorized to speak publicly for my agency. HOWEVER, as a Civil Engineer (Professional Engineer) in the business, and as a private citizen, I've made an analysis that I'd like to share with you.

Obviously, there are lots of concerns about how people might contract ordinary flu and other diseases. Let me discuss a transmission route that is LIKELY to occur in the event of a pandemic: namely the public water supply systems.

The water supply system

First, let me describe the supply system. The source of public drinking water is typically surface streams and reservoirs. There are communities, most often in rural settings, that get their water primarily from wells and springs. But the great majority of cities and towns in the USA get at least a portion of their water from surface sources.

Water is piped to the water treatment plant where the water is held, temporarily, in large ponds. The water is taken into the treatment plant where large materials are screened out and then the water is put through a series of filters. These include flocculation, and sand filters that remove even small particles down to bacteria sizes.

However, viruses are so small they cannot be filtered out. That's one of the main reasons for chlorination, along with killing any residual bacteria. State law requires there be "log 4" reduction in virus count. That is, 1/10, 1/100, 1/1,000 down to 1/10,000 reduction in virus count. And every treatment plant tests the water to determine that the log 4 reduction is being achieved.

Test results are routinely submitted to drinking water regulatory agencies. Sometimes during normal operation, treatment plants cannot conform and are required to take corrective actions to regain compliance. See concluding comments below.

During normal day-to-day operations the raw water (term used for water before treatment) contains all the stuff that is in rivers and reservoirs. This includes bird and animal fecal droppings, as well as dead and decaying plant and animal matter. Not a pretty sight, but that's the way it is.

Now, in the USA these plants operate quite well and every day provide people with clean, non-contaminated drinking water. Pretty amazing when you consider the volumes of water -- billions of gallons per day. When was the last time you heard about a water-borne disease outbreak??

What happens in a pandemic

Anyway, now let's consider what happens to this system during a pandemic.

Obvously, there is a concern for sufficient numbers of qualified personnel to properly operate all aspects of the system from pumps, valves, and filters to the chlorination equipment. But here's the "pandemic kicker". Ducks and geese having the disease (recall they shed the virus in large amounts even before becoming symptomatic) deposit their droppings in the streams, reservoirs, and in the holding pond right outside the treatment plant. And, of course, when they die their contaminated bodies float and decompose in those surface water sources.

In addition, sewage treatment plants quite commonly discharge to streams and thus some levels of human excrement also end up in surface water supplies. This too, is ongoing day-to-day. Quite simply, sewage treatment plants do not remove all pathogens or chemicals. This is the source of pesticides, herbicides, pharmaceuticals, and other "endocrine disruptors".

We all live downstream

Recall the slogan, "we all live downstream". Well, we really do live downstream. So, flu-contaminated human waste is also in the raw water stream that supplies drinking water treatment plants.

Sewage treatment plant effluent is also used in many areas of the country for "water reuse" such as to water golf courses and other "non-contact" (to humans) uses. On a day-to-day basis these human wastes are removed like the other wastes from the drinking water.

So, during a pandemic, the raw water sources contains both bird and human-generated flu virus.

Speaking to the manager of a large water treatment plant, I find the following. During the summer a typical chlorine stockpile for water treatment is no more than one week. Summer means the greatest water demand during June, July and August. The chlorine is delivered to the drinking water via compressed gas bottles. One bank (say 12 cylinders) is on-line while the other bank of 12 is full and waiting to be put on-line. That's a typical hard plumbing hookup. During the winter, when water demand is lower, the bank may last more than one week.

Not if, but when, there is absenteeism at the chlorine generating plant, the chlorine supply will not be there. MAJOR problem! Without chlorine, the flu virus (along with other infectious agents) could be supplied to the public. Unless the water supply is turned off.

To add to credibility of this scenario, I'd direct you to one water supplier, in Denver, that has made plans to prepare for a pandemic scenario. The article makes good reading up until he talks about chlorine, which is beyond his control. These folks have even taken to stockpiling a 30-day supply of chlorine. After that, they face the decision of supplying contaminated water, or shutting off the supply to the public. See the following, which I think I got from your website.

Another pandemic consideration is the length of the flu pandemic. In 12 to 18 months there will be equipment malfunctions in the vast array of equipment throughout the automated system. What breaks and when it breaks could affect the ability to treat the water (water filters through chlorination dispensing) and deliver it (pumps, valves, control systems).

It could be that, after some critical item (or combination of items) breaks, no water will be delivered during a pandemic.

Well, maybe you already knew this stuff. But this supplies some detail of this industry. In my military survival training I learned that water was the most crucial item to life. Recall also that hydration of flu patients is a key item, crucial to their survival. And clean, uncontaminated water could be in seriously short supply to millions of people during a pandemic. Might I suggest individuals seriously consider stockpiling water along with whatever else they do to prepare for a pandemic.

...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Water Supplies in a Pandemic

What do you think of distillation? I have an electric distiller and am thinking of getting one that will work on my woodstove. I have about thirty gallons of stored chlorinated water for drinking the source of which could end during a pandemic. I have a mountain spring on my property but it is a trial to get to and needs to be tested regularly. I use cistern water for washing and it has a UV light system to kill some of the bacteria. In an emergency I could distill the cistern water as well as the spring water. Do you think distillation will kill all viruses.
    We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.
    Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by pamwv41
      What do you think of distillation? I have an electric distiller and am thinking of getting one that will work on my woodstove. I have about thirty gallons of stored chlorinated water for drinking the source of which could end during a pandemic. I have a mountain spring on my property but it is a trial to get to and needs to be tested regularly. I use cistern water for washing and it has a UV light system to kill some of the bacteria. In an emergency I could distill the cistern water as well as the spring water. Do you think distillation will kill all viruses.
      I have a Big Berkey filter:

What About Viruses?
      Black Berkey? filtration systems are an integral part of the ideal solution for treating virus-contaminated water supplies. The accepted standard for using chlorine to kill waterborne viruses is 2 PPM (2 parts of chlorine per 1 million parts of water.) 2 PPM is achieved by adding 8 drops of straight chlorine (common chlorine bleach) to 1 gallon of water. For "good measure" the recommendation is often made to use up to 16 drops per gallon. But what if you don't want to ingest all that chlorine? Berkey? Purifiers answer this dilemma. Black Berkey? elements remove the chlorine from the treated water after the chlorine has completely killed any viruses present. You're left with only what you want... ultra pure, ultra safe, great tasting water!

Comment

Big Berky info

Big Berkey

Time-Tested Water Filter Used by Missionaries for Over 150 Years

Big Berkey by British Berkefeld, the Ultimate Water Filter, is designed for everyday use and is ideal in situations where a reliable supply of treated drinking water becomes unavailable.

This elegant system is constructed of high grade, polished stainless steel, making it hygienic, durable, and easy to clean. The upper chamber of the two piece housing is filled with water which gravity feeds through the filters into the lower chamber.

Each set of two (2) elements will remove harmful pathogenic bacteria such as E-coli, Cholera Salmonella Typhi, Giardia and Cryptosporidium. The filters remove and reduce unwanted chemicals such as Chlorine, lead, rust, sediment, pesticides, herbicides, organic solvents, VOC’s, SOC’s, Trihalomethanes and foul tastes and odors. The durable and efficient Black Berkey elements can be cleaned and re-cleaned (up to 100 times or more) as needed with a soft brush or Scotch-Brite pad.

Healthful.
        The Berkey is far superior to other filters because it removes harmful pathogenic bacteria. Its unique filtering system reduces unhealthy organic chemical contaminates and impurities while leaving in the beneficial minerals your body needs from water. It’s simply the most healthful, clean, and delicious water available.
        Convenient.
        Berkey filters assemble in minutes without tools, electricity, water pressure, or plumbing. What’s more, they are simple to operate, understand, and maintain.
        Economical.
        The Berkey is easily the most economical water filtration system you can own. Its unique design allows you to easily remove and clean the ceramic filters over and over again.
        Powerful.
        The powerful Berkey easily cleans ordinary tap water, yet it is so powerful, it effectively handles even raw, untreated water from lakes and streams. What’s more, the Berkey is the ideal water filtration system to have on hand in the event of an emergency or natural disaster such as blackouts, hurricanes, floods and earthquakes, when tap water is not available.
        Flexible.
        The Berkey is so convenient and easy to use, you can take it with you anywhere: a vacation, hunting & camping trips, college dorms, and use it in your RV or boat.
        Elegant.
        The Berkey is made of durable, high-grade polished stainless steel. Its attractive, high quality design makes it a beautiful addition to your kitchen and home.
        Proven History.
        The Berkey’s high quality and effectiveness has stood the test of time. First ordered by the Royal House in England, it’s also been used by relief organizations such as Unicef, the Peace Corps, and Red Cross Societies internationally. What’s more, British Berkefeld systems have been used for over 150 years by missionaries, explorers, and relief workers in over 140 countries around the world.
        Water Filter Features

• Stainless Steel
        • Includes 2 Black Berkey filter elements
        • Produces 30 gallons of water per day
        • Gravity flow design needs no water pressure or electricity
        • 2.5 gallon lower container
        • 20" tall, 8.5" diameter

Comment

Thanks for cluing me in to this fantastic filter. I notice that the advertising does not mention viruses. Will this filter out viruses? This is why I may choose the distillation option. Granted distillation will remove minerals and you will need replacement but distillation may be superior in its ability to destroy viruses. A distiller that will operate on a wood fire may be the option I choose. I already have an electric distiller that delivers pure water at
          25 cents a gallon.
          We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.
          Maya Angelou

Comment

We have the tabletop version of the Katadyn water purifyer. It does filter out viruses.
            Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
            Thank you,
            Shannon Bennett

Comment

Use chlorine for the virus - 16 drops a gallon
              then the berkey to get rid of the chems. (thats what i read)

Comment

Keep in mind the information contained in the original post: we all live down stream.

To see what happens when there is a major "oops" see:

Note 2 things:

1. The official toll: 403,000 sickened, 44,000 doctor visits, 4,400 hospitalized, more than 100 deaths, 725,000 lost work or school days, $96 million in lost wages and medical expenses and $90 million for a new water purification system.

2. It took 15 days for the problem to be detected and the malfunctioning plant shut down.

Where do most municipal water supplies come from? Lakes, resevioirs, and rivers. If you are on a municpality provided water system, go look at the fowl swimming around in your raw water.

Now imagine H5N1 in the water when an "oops" happens.

Your municipality does not test for H5N1 in the outgoing water. They will discover an "oops" when lots of people start getting sick and die and the health department or CDC traces it back to the municipality provided water. By then....

I recently discovered this:

Microbiological Water Filters by Watts Premiere and water filter cartridges at great prices. We specialize in removing biological contaminants from drinking water.

which will protect you from an "oops". I just ordered one to put on my tap. Very cost effective protection from an "oops" and it doesn't require elecricity to operate. Always there and always working. Get the additional sedimentation filter if you have a lot of crud in your water. You want to protect the biological filter from getting clogged.

While a RO filter will also protect you from virus, they are much more expensive, require high water pressure, and the membrane occasionally ruptures or leaks. The Watts Microbiological is the only NSF certiifed filter I have found that will remove virus. Its price makes it an excellent buy.

Also, a better and lower cost solution to the gravity filters is:

Various emergency filter systems that provide multiple layers of defense against live microorganisms in drinking water during waterborne disease outbreaks.

Besides more water faster, the configuration solves one of the main problems with gravity filters: you can set a Low Pressure Filter up to keep potentially H5N1 infected water out of your house.

I just added all this info to my Water Report. For some real interesting reading, follow the links on the Argoncide filter:

I did some extensive research and Premium Water Filters was the only place I could find that carried the Watts Biological and Argoncide Nanoceram filters. Their Low Pressure Filter is unique in the filter industry. Overall, the prices on everything I checked were extremely good and they don't carry any Chinese made junk. One additional thing I've found in the water treatment industry is that caveat emptor reigns supreme.

(I also ordered the low pressure filter and am getting 50 feet of hose to do some testing. I'll report when I complete it.)

Comment

Even if English is not my mother tongue, I am glad to share this experience with you in this language.

For several months, I have been reading the news published on the site of FluTrackers. Interruption of various services can be expected, if a pandemic of avian influenza occurs. In that case, I want to make sure that my family is most adequately protected.

Water caused me a serious problem, especially after having read about the breakdown of purifying-water station in Milwaukee (Wisconsin, U.S.), in the spring of 1993, which infected 400,000 people and caused the death of more than 100 others. The principal infectious agent was: Cryptosporidium, a protozoon which can cause an acute aqueous diarrhoea. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwauk...idium_outbreak)

Last September 9th, I read an article published by PFWAG, a member of the FluTrackers, about water treatment at home. The 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis System struck my attention. www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5668

I found what I was looking for at Janerotech Inc. I always have in mind the possibility of a pandemic, but a water filtration system is a major asset for the protection of health in any time. Considering that a particle of this kind of virus is about 0.1 micron, I needed an adequate filter. www.janerotech.com

Mark Anderson from Janerotech provided me with relevant information on bacteria and viruses filters. With a "nanometer" filter, included in the 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis System, bacteria and viruses will run up against a Nanoceram filter, which filters viruses the size of 25 nanometers. Size of particle of avian flu viruses being about 0.1 micron, (I think), this water purifier filters particles 4 times smaller. (1 micron = 1000 nanometers __ 1 nanometer = 0.001 micron).

All of this was new for me. I was used to Brita filters only.

Thanks to the FluTrackers who share their discoveries! I moved one step ahead in the attempt to protect my loved ones against a threatening possible pandemic, and I feel more secured now.
                  Quand une porte se ferme, une autre s'ouvre. (Miguel de Cervant?s)
                  Pour moi, l'id?e de nation se dissout dans l'id?e d'humanit?. (Victor Hugo)

Comment

Glad you're reading and posting here Alex. We all help each other out.

Mellie

Comment

For those of you who have personally e-mailed me asking "que pasa," I got all the parts in to make and test the segmented low pressure filter system I noted above, along with another few hundred bucks of water stuff, but I had to postpone my real world testing because of the weather. (I'm taking it to a rustic cabin in the mountains to test on a small stream). When I have a few good fall days I will take it all up and test and post a report and finish off my Water Report.

Comment

Working...
                      X