Clear All

• Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 6000+ cases, 80+ fatalities

Previous reports on cholera in Ghana:

dec 2010- Ghana: Eastern Region records 205 cholera cases
    -

nov 2010 - Ghana: Suspected cholera outbreak

Cholera epidemic: Two dead, 50 others hospitalised

Last Updated: Monday, 24 January 2011

The Ghana Health Service has confirmed a reported outbreak of cholera in parts of the country.

The Director General of the Ghana Health Service Dr. Elias Sory told Joy FM’s Super morning show host Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah that there is a cholera epidemic that has hit parts of the country.

This follows the reported death of one person in Accra with 13 others receiving treatment in various health centres in the capital.

The situation in the Central Region is no different as the Municipal Director of Health Services at Agona Swedru, Dr. Nii Adjei Adjetey confirmed to Joy News the death of one person with 45 others receiving treatment.

“The first case was reported on 22nd December, up to date, we have recorded 45 cases. Incidentally, the cases are not mainly from our district. They are coming from Agona East and Gomoa East. There is one death we have recorded,” he said.

myjoyonline
    ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011

General News of Friday, 28 January 2011
    Source: citifmonline
    Cholera outbreak: 3 dead, 48 hospitalized

The cholera outbreak reported in parts of the country by the Ghana Health Service, has claimed three lives in the Greater Accra Region.

The Region has so far recorded 48 cases.

Deputy Director of the Greater Accra Regional Health Directorate of the Ghana Health Service, Dr Edward Antwi confirmed the deaths to Citi News

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011

Cholera infections in Greater Accra increasing

About 82 cholera cases have been recorded in the Greater Accra Region with three deaths since the outbreak about two weeks ago.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 82 cases, 3 fatalities

Ghana cholera deaths jump to six

News - Africa news .Accra, Ghana - Six people have died in the Ghanaian capital, Accra, from a cholera outbreak, according to the Chief Executive of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), Alfred Vanderpuije. This is up from three announced by the Ghana Health Service (GHS) on Friday.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 82 cases, 6 fatalities

Greater Accra records 104 Cholera cases

Recorded cases of cholera have been raised to 104 in the Greater Accra Region with numbers of death still three.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 104 cases, 6 fatalities

Ablekuma sub-metro takes measures to curb Cholera
            Last Updated: Tuesday, 1 February 2011, 22:27 GMT

Recent reports of cholera cases in the Greater Accra region indicate that most of the 122 cases and four deaths recorded were from Chorkor, Korle Gonno and Mamprobi, and in the Ablekuma sub-metro as well as James Town in the Ga Mashie area.

The Environmental Health Officer of the Ablekuma Sub-Metro, Samuel Tettey told Asempa News that they are putting a number of measures in place to curb the rising cases of cholera in the area.

Mr. Tettey said the sub-metro has started a vigorous one-on-one education campaign to get residents clean their environment, eat clean and warm food, desist from defecating at the beaches and in open drains.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 104 cases, 6 fatalities

Outbreak of Cholera

NEWS COMMENTARY ON THE OUTBREAK OF CHOLERA - LESSONS FOR THE ACCRA METROPOLITAN HEALTH DIRECTORATE

The disclosure that more than 240 cases of cholera have been reported in Accra by the Country Office of the World Health Organisation is indeed worrying.

It is outrageous that almost every year there is an outbreak of the cholera disease in no other places than Chorkor, Agbogbloshie, Korle Gonno, Mamprobi, Agege, Maamobi, Nima, Banana Inn, Zambrama Line, Sukura, Russia and Mallam all suburbs of Accra.

It is equally difficult to understand why the AMA Public Health Department and the Accra Directorate of the Ghana Health Service are unable to plan strategically to at least minimise or stop the disease from breaking out.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 240 cases, 6 fatalities

Source: http://www.ghananewsagency.org/s_health/r_25317/

Cholera deaths rise to six in Accra
                February 11, 2011

Accra, Feb. 11, GNA - The Regional Health Directorate of Ghana Health Service (GHS) on Friday cautioned residents to observe personal hygiene and adhere to advice provided by health professionals as the number of deaths from the cholera outbreak in Accra rose to six.

Speaking to the GNA in Accra, the Deputy Regional Director of Public Health, Dr Edward Antwi, said so far 505 cases had been recorded.

He said health workers in the region had stepped up their education programme to prevent more people from being infected.

The Health Directorate has also expressed worry at the turn of events due to the increase in the number of cases after the first case was reported on January 10 and reiterated its warning to residents to take precautionary measures to avoid contamination.

Dr Antwi said people with symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting should rush to the nearest healthcare facility for treatment which is free...

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 240 cases, 6 fatalities

Open defecation; is it a case of attitude or lack of toilet facilities?
                  A GNA feature by Prosper K. Kuorsoh

Wa, Feb. 12, GNA - Efforts by authorities to beautify the Wa Municipality of the Upper West Region would be a mirage if pragmatic measures are not put in place to arrest the indiscriminate droppings of human excreta otherwise known as open defecation.

Open defecation is increasingly becoming alarming in some sections of the Municipality putting residents at the risk of sanitation related diseases such as cholera, diarrhea and typhoid among others. The few available public toilets are constantly abused by users should be attractive to those who cannot withstand the sight of the filthy looking facilities and maybe resort to open defecation.

Children below ten years are often seen defecating around the premises of these public toilet facilities and waste containers freely without any reprimand thereby giving a very bad smell to residents of the within that vicinity.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 1396 cases, 34 fatalities

Source: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePag....php?ID=203751

Cholera cases spreading fast with 34 deaths so far

Accra, Feb. 23, GNA - A total of 1,396 cholera cases have been recorded in three Regions with 34 deaths giving an overall attack rate of 2.6 per cent over a period of five months.

The Regions affected are; Central, Eastern and Greater Accra with Greater Accra Region recording the highest cases of 742 with 13 deaths. Briefing the media in Accra on Wednesday, on the current situation and measures being made to salvage the situation, Mr Emmanuel Dzotsi, of the Diseases Surveillance Unit of Ghana Health Service (GHS) said Central Regio= n had the first cholera case in September 2010 and had up to date recorded 39= 6 cases with 18 deaths, whilst Eastern Region had recorded 258 cases with three deaths.

He said the current trend posed a possibility of the cholera spreading to the other Regions if serious control measures were not put in place...

Comment

Birim Central records five suspected cases of cholera

Date: 05-Mar-2011

The Birim Central Municipal Health Management Team has recorded five suspected cases of cholera.

Ms Anastasia Atiogbe, Municipal Director of Health Services, told the Ghana News Agency in Akim Oda that a girl died of cholera when being conveyed from Akim Akroso to the Akim Oda Government Hospital in the Eastern Region.

She said the four others who passed frequent stools and were vomiting are under observation to help ascertain whether they are suffering from cholera.

Comment

Source: http://www.ghananewsagency.org/s_hea...era-nationwide

Thirty-four die from cholera nationwide
                        March 08, 2011

Accra, March 8, GNA - The recent outbreak of cholera in the country claimed 34 lives with the Greater Accra Region recording 16 deaths, the highest number.

A total of 2,376 cases were recorded nationwide from September 2010 with the Greater Accra Region recording 1,670 cases.

Dr Joseph Amankwah, Director of Public Health of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), speaking on Tuesday during an emergency meeting of the National Disease and Epidemics Management Technical Committee, observed that drinking water sources in most parts of the country had been polluted and contaminated.

He noted that "the same taxis that are used to carry food items were also used to carry corpses to and fro mortuaries in a careless manner"...

Comment

Cholera kills 17 at Korle-bu

Seventeen people have died of cholera at the Korle-bu Teaching Hospital in Accra since the first case was reported in January this year.

This was confirmed to Joy News by the Head of Public Health Unit of the Hospital, Philip Amoo in an interview on Tuesday.

According to him, a total of 636 cases of cholera have so far been reported, with the fatality rate inching to 2.7 per cent.

Comment

The Deputy Director of Public Health Services in the Greater Accra Region, Dr. Edward Antwi, says 21 people have died of cholera in Accra since the first case was reported.

Speaking in an interview with Kwami Sefa Kayi on Peace FM?s Kokrokoo, Dr. Edward Antwi also disclosed that since the first reported case on 22nd December 2010, over 2000 people have been affected with 21 reported dead, as from January to date.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 2000+ cases, 21 fatalities

Tema records six Cholera cases

Tema, March 16, GNA - Six people have tested positive for Cholera in the Tema Metropolis since the outbreak of the epidemic in the country. The six tested positive after 29 suspected cases were reported at health facilities in the Metropolis. Mr Harvey Akafu, the Information Officer of the Tema Metropolitan Health Directorate, told the GNA on Wednesday that no deaths had been recorded.

Tema, March 16, GNA - Six people have tested positive for Cholera in the Tema Metropolis since the outbreak of the epidemic in the country. The six tested positive after 29 suspected cases were reported at health facilities in the Metropolis. Mr...

Comment

Working...
                              X