Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-year-old Do?a Ana County girl dies - infected with multiple strains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-year-old Do?a Ana County girl dies - infected with multiple strains?

BREAKING: H1N1 may be cause of 8-year-old Do?a Ana County girl (2:06 p.m.)By Ashley Meeks / ameeks@lcsun-news.com
    Posted: 01/25/2011 02:04:51 PM MST

LAS CRUCES - An 8-year-old Las Cruces girl who died suddenly Saturday could be the first child to be killed by H1N1 influenza in Do?a Ana County, according to her family.
    The Office of the Medical Investigator said Tuesday afternoon they did not yet have a cause of death for Savannah Lynn McCann, but her parents said they were contacted Monday with the news that an autopsy had concluded her death was caused by the flu mutation

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: H1N1 may be cause of 8-year-old Do?a Ana County girl

I'm concerned by the rapidity of this child's death and by the final quote;

Family Speaks Out After Daughter Dies Fighting The Flu

Posted: 3:07 pm MST January 25, 2011
    Updated: 11:10 pm MST January 25, 2011

The McCanns said all three of their kids became sick with the flu last week but they thought it would pass.

"It seemed like we were just riding out a sickness," said Melanie. "She was talking with me, and laying in bed with me, up walking around, playing with her brother, then it started when she said she couldn't breath and her body just shut down in 15 minutes."

That was on Saturday. An ambulance rushed Savannah to Mountain View Regional Medical Center, but it was too late.

"They said that we did everything that was possible. And when she decided to finally go, she went so tremendously fast, which is such a blessing that she didn't suffer," said Melanie.

Such a quick unexplained death is hard to understand, but the medical examiner told the McCanns it was influenza related.

"They called us and said that the cause of death was influenza and she tested positive for a, b and H1N1," said Melanie.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: 8-year-old Do?a Ana County girl dies - infected with multiple strains?

Spanish to English translation

Death of girl in Las Cruces revives fears of the H1N1

Francisco Alarc?n
      El Diario de El Paso | 26.01.2011 | 1:45

Las Cruces, NM-An eight year old native of this city, Savannah Lynn McCann, would be the first victim in more than a year charged by the influenza A/H1N1 in the binational region, at the confluence of Texas, New Mexico and Mexican Chihuahua.

And while health authorities in New Mexico, and Independent School District officials in Las Cruces (LCISD) Caution call and say they have no certainty that the death of third grader is due to this strain of virus , Savannah's parents say an autopsy showed that death was due to a mutation of the influenza.

For their part, health authorities in El Paso lamented the loss of small and called the community not to dismiss the vaccination, even when cases of the disease have been almost nonexistent during the past year.

"Influenza in any strain, remains a potentially fatal ... and the H1N1 virus is not the same as last year, "said Armando Saldivar, spokesman for the Department of Health of El Paso.

"Viruses mutate, and we should not be immune because we're not. We must continue to protect us to avoid cases like this. "

According to reports, Savannah McCann returned home from Desert Hills Elementary School on Tuesday January 18 after vomiting, for which she spent the rest of the week to rest under the supervision of their parents and family physician.

On Saturday, just 10 minutes that her father returned to work, she began having trouble breathing and for that reason called 911.

Brent McCann said slowly breathing became shallower until 15 minutes after calling the emergency number and his daughter stopped breathing.

The little girl was taken to Mountain View Regional Medical Center, where she was provided heavy doses of ephedrine in vain to try to revive her. According to doctors, the sudden mutation of the virus attacked the liver, kidneys and brain of Savannah.

"She had no other health problems, but it is terrible virus," said Melanie McCann, shocked by the death of her eldest child.

In addition to Savannah, the McCann family includes Tyler, 5 years and a half, and Brody, 2 -, who along with his parents received a strong preventive dose of Tamiflu, while her house was disinfected with ozone.

LCISD superintendent, Stand Rounds said Tuesday that they have taken all precautions and thorough cleaning of school facilities in their care, especially campus I attended Savannah.

"I want to emphasize that our products and regular cleaning protocols are able to eliminate the H1N1 virus and other viral infections," said Rounds.

At a press conference with the superintendent, an official of the Department of Health of New Mexico, said that even without an official cause of death.

However, said the state is going through a "regional level of influenza," and therefore "we will see some deaths."

In El Paso, the phone to get information about the vaccination centers is (915) 771-5822.

Comment

Re: 8-year-old Do?a Ana County girl dies - infected with multiple strains?

Dept. of Health Confirms H1N1 Did Not Cause Girl's Death
        Posted: 5:52 pm MST January 26, 2011
        Updated: 6:03 pm MST January 26, 2011

LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- The New Mexico Department of Health now confirms that H1N1 was not the cause in the death of an 8-year-old Las Cruces Girl. However, the department is not ruling out other strains of influenza as a possible cause.

Savannah McCann died Saturday just minutes after she had trouble breathing. It came as a shock to her family, who said their daughter was a happy, healthy girl. But the Department of Health said the flu affects everyone differently.

Comment

Working...
        X