• Show
Clear All

• Deadly Kala Azar Disease Stalks South Sudan

Source: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/...148101465.html

April 19, 2012
    Deadly Kala Azar Disease Stalks South Sudan
    Hannah McNeish | Juba, South Sudan

April 19, 2012

In newly independent South Sudan, deadly Kala Azar disease is still raging in some of the most remote areas lacking basic health services.

Standing next to the single tent she now calls home in the scorching sunshine, Alaskan-born Dr. Jill Seaman explained how after coming to South Sudan in 1989 and visiting villages where only five out of 1,000 people had survived a Kala Azar outbreak, she could not tear herself away from this swampland.

?We walked through villages where there was still the ash left from fires, there were still sticks left to tie your cattle up, but there were no people left, you were walking through ghost villages," said Seaman. "And that, plus watching all the skeletal people walking into the clinic every night to get treated and asking them ?how many people in your family have died?? and hearing the answer 12, 14, 8, 13 - it kind of bonds you to a community, and I suppose that?s why I?m still here.?

That Kala Azar outbreak killed around half the population in the area, and around half the 11,000 cases reported last year were treated at the clinic in Old Fangak...

Re: Deadly Kala Azar Disease Stalks South Sudan

A snippet, but please read the full article - Ro

South Sudan: Losing the War Against Kala-Azar
    3 MAY 2012

Old Fangak ? In the dusty courtyard of a crowded clinic in Old Fangak, in South Sudan's Jonglei state, throngs of people, some of them under mosquito nets strung between trees, wait to get tested for kala-azar, amid the worst continuous outbreak in three decades.

Last year, this clinic - which lacks electricity or running water - handled around half the 11,000 total recorded cases of the parasitical disease, also known as visceral leishmaniasis. Spread by the bite of the sand-fly, it can cause fever, weight loss, enlarged spleen, rash, anaemeia, diarrhoea, fatigue and, left untreated, death.

Conflict and poverty facilitate its spread. Kala-azar used to strike in relatively brief outbreaks every 7 to 10 years. But an outbreak that began in 2009 has yet to let up, affecting some 25,000 people, mostly in Jonglei and Upper Nile states.
    In the dusty courtyard of a crowded clinic in Old Fangak, in South Sudan's Jonglei state, throngs of people, some of them under mosquito nets strung between trees, wait to get tested for kala-azar, amid the worst continuous outbreak in three decades.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Kalazar outbreak kills 7 in Jonglei?s Ayod
      Friday, 05 October 2012 08:01 Mabior Mach South Sudan >>>

An outbreak of Kalazar disease has killed seven in Ayod County in Jonglei state.

Ayod County County commissioner, James Mawich Makuai, said 40 others have been admitted in a clinic in the area.

Mawich, further said that the county has been lacking proper medical services since MSF pulled out their staff, last month.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Source: http://www.borglobe.com/25.html?m7:p...county-jonglei

Kala-azar outback killed 10 people in Ayod County, Jonglei
        October 12th, 2012 at 5:08 am

Following the heavy raindrop which destroyed several structures, there is an outbreak of the diseases in some villages of Ayod County of Jonglei state.

By Achiek Jok Riak

AYOD October 11, 2012 (Borglobe) ? in a recent outbreak of Kala-azar (Visceral leishmaniasis) in Ayod County, 10 people reported dead and 42 others are admitted in Ayod hospital. ?In Ayod County there is an outbreak of Kala-azar in Pagil payam in which 7 people dead, 27 admitted in the hospital and in Jech Boma, 3 died and 15 more are admitted in Ayod hospital as well.? Honorable Nelson Kuony Thoat said...

Comment

Kalazar disease kills 20 in Jonglei
          Thursday, 18 October 2012 09:28 Diana Wani Health >>>

More than 20 people have died and several others are receiving treatment following an outbreak of Kalazar disease, in Ayod County, Jonglei State.

The most affected area is Padiel Payam. A team from the state ministry of health has visited the area to deliver drugs and assess the impact of the outbreak. Ayod County commissioner, James Mawich Makuai, told Radio Miraya that the team delivered the drugs to Padiel Payam, which is the most affected area in the county.

Comment

Working...
          X