X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darfur:Kala-azar found at Zam Zam camp

Kala-azar found amongst children at Zam Zam camp
    Kabkabiya (15 Jan .) -
    Dozens of children at Zam Zam internally displaced persons camp near EL Fasher in North Darfur are reported to be carrying Kala-azar, a parasitic disease also known as leishmaniasis.

Health care activists at the camp said they registered 93 cases amongst children to the Ministry of Health in El Fasher.

The Ministry dispatched an investigation team to the camp a week ago.

An activist said to Radio Dabanga the team visited one nursery out of 41 nurseries in the area and found 16 cases of the disease. They also visited two schools out of 30 and found 120 cases.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Darfur:Kala-azar found amongst children at Zam Zam camp

via Reliefweb;

2,000 infected with kala-azar in North Darfur
    EL FASHER
    (23 Nov.) -

A medical officer reported that there are 2,160 patients infected with the kala-azar disease among the displaced people in Zam Zam camp in El Fasher, North Darfur.

1,500 of these patients are infected with skin kala-azar, and 660 with membrane kala-azar, which is ?a killer? according to the medical officer.

He said that the costs of treatment per patient amounted to SDG600 ($ 100). No cure or health care has been established by the Sudanese government or humanitarian organizations for kala-azar since the disease emerged in 2009.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X