The Zen of Being Sick with Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Zen of Being Sick with Flu

What do you do if you get the flu? You will be sick; that?s what you do and not much else. If this happens to you, and there is a 2 in 5 chance that it will, here is what I suggest. If you have prepared well, then you are not alone and those with you are committed to helping you make it through the illness. I hope you have an adequate supply of medications and materials to assist you and your caregivers during your illness. In any case, it is too late to worry about any of that now. If you don?t have everything you would like to have had, no big deal. Remember the most important thing is to drink as much fluid as you can and REST. You are probably tired anyway, getting everything ready and watching the world go crazy all around you. There is nothing more that you can do, so let it go.

Lay down your burden and rest. In a way, being sick will be a vacation from all the worry, fuss, responsibility, impossible problems, and lack of sleep. There will be pain, nausea maybe, and other discomforts, but have confidence, you will probably make it. Most people will. If you don?t, well then it was your time, that?s all. Just relax. Rest. Let it go. This is the Zen of Being sick.

When you become ill like this it is best to withdraw your energies into the quietest place in your being and rest there as the Observer. Your retreat is into a selfless being that is at the heart of each and every one of us. A place of refuge we can access if needed but one most of us seldom visit. Remain there observing. Within this special realm, sometimes you are asleep and sometimes awake. Your eyes can be open or closed, no matter. In this place, time passes in a funny way because it is a timeless sort of dimension. When you can get your head into that space, pain and nausea are less and you are not afraid. It is the place where you mind is free and can take you on fantastic voyages through your inner space.

The body needs rest to heal itself. Your body is a self-correcting organism and is prepared to experience and survive health conditions like this and even worse. Your body is able to rest quite well when your mind visits this vast inner space. We all come into contact with this space from time to time and when you arrive there you will recognize it like meeting up with an old friend. Abiding within inner space creates the conditions for healing to occur most directly. Rest, relax, even groove in this place. This is the Zen of Being.

Within this space, you can practice focusing your healing energies on overcoming the virus making you sick. No scientific skill required! This type of focused healing is what physicians like [Andrew Weil, MD] and [Deepak Chopra, MD] refer to in their [books on self-healing]. Each of us is capable of using this energy and has in fact done so many times. It is just that in our normal state of mind (ego consciousness), we cannot recall doing so or how we do it. This is not really necessary. What is needed is having faith in yourself and confidence in the healing gift God has given you. Let go of your small ego?s grasp on ?the world? so you can come into contact with this State of Grace.

Our body?s reaction to severe illness or trauma will naturally direct us to this place as long as we don?t struggle against it. We have nothing to fear from this old friend. Some of the drugs given for treatment of flu produce mild mental changes that make it easier to let go of the habitual tight ego grasp with which we hold on to the world. Loosen this grasp a little and allow things to slip a bit akimbo. This can make it easier to move deeper into inner space; an excellent place to ride out the storm. You are not out of touch or anything, just ?not in charge? for the moment. You are ?along for the ride? and frankly if you keep your eyes open, you might learn something new in this state of mind. This is a comfortable space where you are not alone and unafraid. When you become ill, recall these thoughts and let them guide you.

The key is to rest, sleep, drink, and pee. Let the world go by on its own merry way without you for once. Its OK, there will be more tomorrow after today. The focus is on just making it through the moment. You do this by being in the NOW as defined by [Ekert Tolle] in his books like the [Power of Now]. When things get tough, retire into your inner retreat and ride it out there. These feelings and pains will soon pass. Take it one moment at a time. Go to sleep. Rest. Soon you will be better. Be patient. Things will begin to get better soon. Groove in the Zen of Being sick.

The above is an excerpt from the Bird Flu Manual. BTW, I am a Buddhist and also a survivor of the 1957 pandemic so the views above have been shaped by my experiences and beliefs.

Best regards,

Grattan Woodson, MD
    The Doctor

Re: The Zen of Being Sick with Flu

Originally posted by the doctor View Post
    What do you do experiences and beliefs.

Best regards,

Grattan Woodson, MD[/I]
    ending of past karma what a excellent thought
    you wont catch me eating meat dead and alive

Comment

Thank you Doctor for posting this. Recovering from illness is not just a physical process. It is a mental and spiritual process as well.
      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, these are my internal thoughts. They are those that remain after being very sick with flu. These thoughts are the entry instructions for those severely ill to reach a safe place. A place to reside and heal when very sick.

This place or mind state is not one that can be defined by words or concepts since it is non-conceptual. This means that where I recommend your mind go during a severe illness be it flu or anything else is to a place that can not be defined with concepts or words. What I know intuitively but can not define scientifically is that those who can achieve residence in this mind state have the best chance of healing from their illness. Why, well I don't really know but my guess is that when you place your mind in this state it releases the body's inherent curative abilities without any energy being wasted on any other demanding mental activities like consciousness, thinking, worrying, and freaking out.

In my experience, when in this state you do return to consciousness from time to time. You also dream.

What is important to know is that the mind state described in this thread is a natural condition that is available to all people, not just Buddhists. It is something that we all have access to and should resort to in the event we become severely ill. In my opinion, it is the natural healing state of humanity.

GW
        The Doctor

Comment

I like the way Deepak Chopra talks about how our bodies are a pharmacy and contain all the chemicals & processes we need to keep us well. We just need to give them the opportunity and not interfere. There is so much research on the immunity-enhancing effects of meditation, that I think it should be taught to young children.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

"Sitting quietly,
            Doing nothing,
            Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself"

Lao Tzu

Comment

2Cats - you forget about us - you are not really alone! Welcome.
              "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Originally posted by 2Cats
                Doctor,
                Your post is a meditation in itself. I am facing this
                pandemic alone, there will be no one there to help me. So I've been wondering how to approach it from the spiritual point of view.
                Witness consciousness often supplies information beyond what the egoic mind can come up with. And It can influence the body in powerful ways.
                I think it is better for me to trust that inner source within, during a time that the body is afflicted.
                I've wondered whether I should try to remain conscious and fight the deliruim. Now I am more of the mind to just prepare for and take the journey provided by the flu, whatever the outcome.
                And I love to fly the inner skies, lol.

One of the things I'm going to do, is make signs, big bold signs on the wall where I can see them from the bed....as in, Drink Water!!! Drink ORS!!! Write Down What Time You Take Meds!!! Eat Something!! So during the times I am conscious,
                I'll see them and take the needed actions.
                Everything I need will be right there within reach.
                Including a porta potty.

I plan to leave the door open so the pets can come and go, and hopefully they will wake me up now and then. I can count on two hungry cats sitting on my chest demanding breakfast.
                I bought a wheelchair and a walker as preps,
                not knowing how long recovery might take.
                I have a cd player and some cd's of Buddhist Healing Chants. There is one of Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche that I really like. And some Buddhist healing incense. Creating a positive spiritual atmosphere in which to take the flu journey will be helpful to me, especially if it's my time to go.
                Thank you....you have inspired a very different approach to this very possible life or death experience.
                Om Mani Padme Hum
                Hi 2Cats,

and On Mani Padme Hum to you too. I am a Tibetan Buddhist as you may have discovered despite my naming of this thread.

There is no reason for you to go through the pandemic alone. There are many who need you and what you know of how to survive the days to come. You have so much to give. We humans both live and die together not alone. Dying alone in the hospital for instance is an artifact of our very unhealthy modern world but not something that any human civilization has ever embraced throughout our history as a species.

Now is the time to reject the foolishness of our current era and embrace the sacred ways of our people for many thousands of generations. Those of us with no living or willing family members to congregate with can bond with others in the family way. Not becoming pregnant with child but pregnant with love, caring, empathy, respect, and providing support for those around us.

What Buddhism teaches is that everyone you encounter in your daily life are actually those from your past lives. The stronger the reaction be it positive or negative you have to them, the more Karma you share with them.

That you are alone except for your dear felines is a great burden. I weep for you and the suffering you have experienced. Yet, Buddhism also teaches that this suffering is due to past Karma and that when we suffer it without resort to striking out, that it is consumed in the fire of eternity never again to trouble us.

What is very important to bear in mind is that we are free beings despite our Karma. As Christ said, we can ask for and receive forgiveness. This is true and applies to Buddhists every much as it does to Christians.

This does not mean that we will not be required to atone for our actions but rather that when we recognize that our actions have not been skillful, show regret for them, apply the appropriate antidote and resolve not to make the same error in the future we are provided with the unction Christ was speaking of.

The key to our future then is how we live our present as this has the greatest affect on our Karma to come. Surely, all are responsible to experience the Karmic debts, both good and bad from our past lives as well as from the past of this life. There is no escape from this but we can and should take this very moment to change our future Karma. This is something that you can do. You can do it right now and if you hurry there is no reason for you to experience the pandemic alone.

I know this to be true but this is something that you will need to discover for yourself. Start now. It will be well worth it whether we have a bad pandemic or not.

GW
                The Doctor

Comment

Excellent all.

I am a zen buddhist and view things very similarly but I will not have the luxury of really sitting with it all. I know how deeply imperfect my practice is and I anticipate the possibility of enduring this flu as a considerable challenge on many levels.

I have three young children and there honestly is no completely alone moments nor can one put away the cares and worries one has for them.

Intellectually I know that maximal rest will speed me through the recovery (when/if it happens) but I am pretty sure that my thoughts will rest only on worries that I will infect the kids or about when they will also be ill and will their illnesses be catastrophic.

I say this not to be contrarian but to speak for many many parents who will be in the same space, no matter their belief systems.
                  Nika

Comment

Dear 2cats

Part of what I meant was, that there won't be anyone there to empty the porta potty, LOL.
                    (Note to self, preposition more buckets with lids.)
                    Edit/Delete Message
                    Think - kitty litter - lol Compassionate as I am - I had not given much thought to travelling the world emptying porta potties! In that respect - you are on your own! (If it is any consolation - I think most people are well on their own with that one too!)
                    "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Originally posted by Nika View Post
                      Excellent all.

I am a zen buddhist and view things very similarly but I will not have the luxury of really sitting with it all. I know how deeply imperfect my practice is and I anticipate the possibility of enduring this flu as a considerable challenge on many levels.

I have three young children and there honestly is no completely alone moments nor can one put away the cares and worries one has for them.
                      And as the sole caregiver for a completely disabled adult (who acts like a two-year-old much of the time), my reaction when I read the doctor's excellent advice was "Yeah, right."

I'm not a buddhist, though I strongly sympathize and agree with its teachings. The unpleasant fact is that if I get sick with this, not only will there be no one to take care of me, but I'll still be responsible for my housemate. The same is true of very many of the parents here, who may either have sole responsibility for their children, or little help from their spouse.

Even so, it's good advice. Maybe some of us will just have to find a quiet place inside somewhere, if we can't find a physical one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nika View Post
                        Excellent all.

Intellectually I know that maximal rest will speed me through the recovery (when/if it happens) but I am pretty sure that my thoughts will rest only on worries that I will infect the kids or about when they will also be ill and will their illnesses be catastrophic.

I say this not to be contrarian but to speak for many many parents who will be in the same space, no matter their belief systems.
                        Yes Nika, I understand Oh so well being an imperfect Buddhist myself with the same concerns you share.

What is key for everyone is to do what they can to maintain eqinimity in the face of the trials to come. This is not easy to do and I am sure that when these events confront me they will not be something that I will be able to deal with well.

If only we were all Bodhisattvas! This would solve so many problems but we are not and therefore all of us will be required to confront the future uncertainty as ordinary people who struggle to do the right thing.

As the time of turmoil comes closer, my non-violent resolve has weakened. Within my loins lies the spirits or many of those who have been warriors and taken the lives of so many of my brothers and sisters through the ages. I feel this very strongly and so much so that I know that this is something I could do in the blink of an eye and without regret. This may sound strange to you but for me is something that haunts me since if the pandemic is severe, it is very likely that circumstances will occur that present me with the choice to take a life or give my own and possibly those with who depend upon me.

While I will try to avoid this circumstance from developing, it seems likely to me that since it concerns me so much today that in the future this is something that I may well confront.

While denial is a convenient refuge for the weak minded, what is becoming apparent to me is that if confronted with the above circumstances I am most likely to regress to my warrior past than my Buddhist present.

What is clear though is that whatever happens in the days to come my experiences as a Buddhist will color them every much as my experiences as a warrior. There will be no wanton killing, no rape, no torture as may have been practiced by past incarnations.

Random musings but the truth all the same in as much as they are my truth and my musings as well as my devils and the struggles they have in my Western mind.

GW
                        The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by the doctor View Post
                          Yes Nika, I understand Oh so well being an imperfect Buddhist myself with the same concerns you share.

What is key for everyone is to do what they can to maintain eqinimity in the face of the trials to come. This is not easy to do and I am sure that when these events confront me they will not be something that I will be able to deal with well.

If only we were all Bodhisattvas! This would solve so many problems but we are not and therefore all of us will be required to confront the future uncertainty as ordinary people who struggle to do the right thing.

As the time of turmoil comes closer, my non-violent resolve has weakened. Within my loins lies the spirits or many of those who have been warriors and taken the lives of so many of my brothers and sisters through the ages. I feel this very strongly and so much so that I know that this is something I could do in the blink of an eye and without regret. This may sound strange to you but for me is something that haunts me since if the pandemic is severe, it is very likely that circumstances will occur that present me with the choice to take a life or give my own and possibly those with who depend upon me.

While I will try to avoid this circumstance from developing, it seems likely to me that since it concerns me so much today that in the future this is something that I may well confront.

While denial is a convenient refuge for the weak minded, what is becoming apparent to me is that if confronted with the above circumstances I am most likely to regress to my warrior past than my Buddhist present.

What is clear though is that whatever happens in the days to come my experiences as a Buddhist will color them every much as my experiences as a warrior. There will be no wanton killing, no rape, no torture as may have been practiced by past incarnations.

Random musings but the truth all the same in as much as they are my truth and my musings as well as my devils and the struggles they have in my Western mind.

GW
                          the use of violence was brought up at the teachings i attended some years ago(30 may 2004 SEC glasgow) the Dalai lama responded with these comments,firstly in the jakarta tales (Buddhas former lives)he was a ferry boat captain who learnt one of his passengers was plotting to kill all hundred of his fellow passengers so he did away with him the dalai lama explained one of his reasons was to stop the plotter incurring such a large amount of negative karma,he did also stress that violence was a very unpradictable event and a last coarse of action not to be premeditated rather a selfless act that occurs spontainiously and i suppose this would be thought of as being neutral no karma.
                          you wont catch me eating meat dead and alive

Comment

Originally posted by peace View Post
                            the use of violence was brought up at the teachings i attended some years ago(30 may 2004 SEC glasgow) the Dalai lama responded with these comments,firstly in the jakarta tales (Buddhas former lives)he was a ferry boat captain who learnt one of his passengers was plotting to kill all hundred of his fellow passengers so he did away with him the dalai lama explained one of his reasons was to stop the plotter incurring such a large amount of negative karma,he did also stress that violence was a very unpradictable event and a last coarse of action not to be premeditated rather a selfless act that occurs spontainiously and i suppose this would be thought of as being neutral no karma.
                            Another Buddhist!

Yes I know the story.

Thanks for reminding me but alas, defending my family or especially myself from harm hardly qualifies under that standard.

GW
                            The Doctor

Comment

~ It's funny, I cannot remember learning to walk, or learning how to read. I don't remember a lot of specific details about my childhood, or what I did from day to day...

but I can remember the day in 1968 when the Hong Kong Flu made itself known to me, like it was yesterday. Even though I was just a little girl, I can remember standing up... and thinking "something's not right". That's how quick the symptoms hit me. The next minute, I was vomiting, having severe chills, and I was aching all over like I had been hit by a car. The next week felt like a fight for my life.

I remember laying on the sofa looking at my empty bird cage missing my pet parakeet who had died of what looked like pneumonia just a few days earlier. My little bird, Cupid, was staggering around the bottom of his cage, all puffed up and sneezing, and gasping for breath. "I know how he felt." I remember thinking. I was so delerious, I kept thinking that I heard him chirping, and I would stagger around looking for him! I ended up with pneumonia too, a week later. I've never had the flu since, and I've never taken a flu shot. Even if there are people taking care of you, when you are that sick, you still feel alone. I missed about three weeks of School because of influenza and pneumonia secondary to it.

Funny how your post brought back those memories! lol.

I can't imagine coming down with something like that, and not having somebody there to help you. You're right, being prepared to survive it alone is VERY important. Great post!

I became seriously ill twice in 1968.... earlier that Spring, I was at my Grandfathers Farm and was infatuated by Henrietta, this friendly chicken of his who let me hold her and pet her and she never ever tried to flap away from me. (She was obviosly ill) Puffed up feathers... listless, sneezing. She later died. I came down with a severe flu-like virus (mostly stomach) seeing halos.... dizziness, fainting, fever, vomiting, delerium. Nothing respiratory. The sickest moments in my life have always been associated with birds. Hmmmm....... coincidence? I don't really know. That's what got me interested in studying Bird flu several years ago. Both of those moments of illness in my childhood were accompanied by grieving for a lost bird friend who died just several days before. Kids love animals. When they are sick, or do not run, we want to hold them and pet them... That's why it never surprised me that children in Egypt are the ones catching bird flu. It's a given.

Thanks for bringing back all those childhoood memories of my Zen moments.

maybe birds and I have something in common. I dunno.
                              Old Mother Goose
                              when she wanted to wander,
                              would fly through the air
                              on a very fine Gander...

Comment

Working...
                              X