• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi boy was country's third bird flu case - WHO

Iraqi boy was country's third bird flu case - WHO
    19 Sep 2006 11:17:00 GMT
    Source: Reuters

GENEVA, Sept 19 (Retuers) - A three-year-old Iraqi boy in Baghdad has been confirmed as having survived a mild case of bird flu last March, the first confirmed human infection in the capital, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Tuesday.

"The Ministry of Health in Iraq has retrospectively confirmed the country's third case of human infection with the H5N1 avian influenza virus," the WHO said in a statement.

Initial testing on samples taken from the boy had been inconclusive, possibly due to their deterioration during shipment, but repeated tests using different methods has confirmed the presence of the virus, according to the United Nations health agency.

Iraqi officials said in March that the H5N1 virus had been found in poultry in Baghdad, but to date there had been no human case confirmed in the war-ravaged capital.

An Iraqi teenage girl and her uncle, both of whom died in January in the northern province of Sulaimaniya, were the country's first known human cases.

The WHO said on Tuesday that Iraq's outbreak was "now considered over".

The disease affects mainly animals but experts fear the virus could mutate into a pandemic strain capable of killing millions of people.

The latest confirmed case brings the global total to 247 cases in 10 countries since 2003, with 144 deaths, WHO said.

Thomson Reuters empowers professionals with cutting-edge technology solutions informed by industry-leading content and expertise.
    ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Iraqi boy was country's third bird flu case - WHO

From a previous thread:
    Originally posted by Snowy Owl
    http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=843678

Human case of bird flu discovered in Baghdad

BAGHDAD, March 29 (KUNA) -- A new human case of bird flu was discovered in Al-Sadr City in Baghdad, announced an Iraqi official on Wednesday.

Spokesperson for the High Committee for Bird Flu Dr. Ibtesam Ali said in a statement that a patient was admitted to hospital with avian flu symptoms, noting that blood samples were drawn from the patient for lab work.

Dr. Ali added that blood samples were also taken from people with direct contact with the patient to make sure that they are not infected with the disease, while veterinary teams took random samples from hens that came close to the patient to perform lab work and follow necessary procedures.

The spokesperson noted that a member of the same family of the patient died with suspicions of bird flu disease, while another family member had symptoms of the disease in the area of Kamaliya in Baghdad.

Meanwhile, the source said that three-year-old Haydar Razzaq Hussein fully recovered from the disease and is living a normal life, while medical teams took blood samples from family members and executed all birds around the area.

She noted that lab work in Baghdad showed a bird infected with the avian flu virus, noting that additional lab work will be performed outside Iraq for further verifications. (end) ahh.

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3220
    ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here is the information on the, now, three WHO confirmed Iraq cases from earlier this year. There were two other individuals referenced in the WHO updates from Iraq including a 13 year old male who died. The most recent WHO update (http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_09_19/en/index.html) implies, but does not state, that there were no further positive samples from tests in Iraq.

The WHO update from February (http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_02_17/en/index.html) indicates that 15 human samples tested negative, but they were also waiting to test a second set of samples. I don't the believe the results of those tests were published by WHO.

H5N1 Individual Case Report
      __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
      caseid:154
      City and Region:Raniya, Sulaimaniyah
      Name:Sanjin (Shangen) Abdelkadir (Abdul Qader)
      Sex:F
      Symptom onset:1/10/2006
      Hospital Admission:1/17/2006
      Death:1/17/2006
      Outcome:D
      WHO confirmed:Yes
      Report Date
      Hyperlink
      1/30/2006http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_01_30a/en/index.html
      2/17/2006
      http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_02_17/en/index.html
      7/10/2006
      http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/retro06-avfludeaths-country.html

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
      caseid:156
      Name:
      Sex:
      F
      Symptom onset:
      Hospital Admission:
      1/18/2006
      Death:
      Outcome:
      UNK
      WHO confirmed:No
      Report Date
      Hyperlink
      caseid:155
      Name:Hamasour (Muhammed) Abdulla
      Sex:M
      Symptom onset:1/24/2006
      Hospital Admission:
      Death:
      1/27/2006
      Report Date
      Hyperlink
      2/17/2006
      http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_02_17/en/index.html
      7/10/2006
      http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/retro06-avfludeaths-country.html

caseid:157
      City and Region:Omara
      Name:
      Sex:
      M
      Symptom onset:2/1/2006
      Hospital Admission:2/5/2006
      Death:2/5/2006
      WHO confirmed:No
      Report Date
      Hyperlink
      2/7/2006http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_02_07/en/index.html
      caseid:476
      City and Region:Al-Sadr City, Baghdad
      Name:Haydar Razzaq Hussein
      Sex:M
      Symptom onset:
      Hospital Admission:
      3/15/2006
      Death:
      Outcome:
      R
      Report Date
      Hyperlink
      9/19/2006http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_09_19/en/index.html
      9/19/2006
      http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32009&postcount=1
      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Theresa, do you know what the original translated articles said about this case?

Comment

Originally posted by vaffie
          Theresa, do you know what the original translated articles said about this case?
          Sorry. Didn't have any Iraqi news about this case at the time. The news outta Iraq was so patchy and vague, unfortunately. I could also have missed it, of course.

Comment

Is this 3 year-old part of a cluster...?

H5N1 bird flu found in Baghdad suburb as man hospitalised
            29 March 2006

BAGHDAD (AFP) - Birds in one Baghdad district have tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu, while a man in another part of the capital has been hospitalised with symptoms.

Samples taken from birds in the Kamamaliya district tested positive for H5N1, Ibtisam Aziz, spokeswoman for the government' bird flu committee, said in a statement on Wednesday.

The tests were conducted after a man who died earlier this week was suspected of having bird flue. A member of the man's family, who suffered from similar symptoms, later recovered, she added. [Is this the 3 year old, then? In other words, do we have another cluster here?]

Meanwhile, a man from the outskirts of Baghdad's predominantly Shiite suburb of Sadr City was admitted to hospital.

"The Ministry of Health informed us that a patient has been admitted to a hospital after he was suspected of having bird flu," the statement said.

Aziz said government medical teams had taken samples from him, from people close to him and birds from the vicinity.

Iraq has till now confirmed two cases of H5N1, both of which were from the northern Kurdish Sulaimaniyah region.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa42
              Good job, Theresa. That was my hunch. I've begun to notice that every confirmed case in the world is identified due to it's being part of a cluster, and just wanted to see if it was the same in Iraq.

Comment

Would this be a cluster of three cases in Baghdad? The child was reported to be from Al-Sadr City, as is the third suspected case noted in the quote. The text implies that case 1 was from Kamamaliya district (Kamaliya??), also in Baghdad, where the H5N1 birds were discovered. Maybe the recovered individual (case 2) is not the recent confirmed case.

H5N1 bird flu found in Baghdad suburb as man hospitalised
                29 March 2006

BAGHDAD (AFP) - Birds in one Baghdad district have tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu, while a man in another part of the capital has been hospitalised with symptoms.

Samples taken from birds in the Kamamaliya district tested positive for H5N1, Ibtisam Aziz, spokeswoman for the government' bird flu committee, said in a statement on Wednesday.

The tests were conducted after a man who died earlier this week (case 1) was suspected of having bird flue. A member of the man's family, who suffered from similar symptoms, later recovered, (case 2) she added. [Is this the 3 year old, then? In other words, do we have another cluster here?]

Meanwhile, a man from the outskirts of Baghdad's predominantly Shiite suburb of Sadr City was admitted to hospital (case 3).

"The Ministry of Health informed us that a patient has been admitted to a hospital after he was suspected of having bird flu," the statement said.

Aziz said government medical teams had taken samples from him, from people close to him and birds from the vicinity.

Iraq has till now confirmed two cases of H5N1, both of which were from the northern Kurdish Sulaimaniyah region.

http://tinyurl.com/mn5pc
                http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback Al
                  Would this be a cluster of three cases in Baghdad? The child was reported to be from Al-Sadr City, as is the third suspected case noted in the quote. The text implies that case 1 was from Kamamaliya district (Kamaliya??), also in Baghdad, where the H5N1 birds were discovered. Maybe the recovered individual (case 2) is not the recent confirmed case.
                  You are probably right, Al. I was trying to get my head around the cases listed in this article, but it made not sense to me earlier. The only reason I questioned if case 2 was the 3 year-old was because I was looking for a recovered case -- doesn't have to be the 3 year-old at all.

So, what the article above talks about is 3 cases (that you've numbered):

- case 1 and 2 related from Kamaliya district -- case 1 died while case 2 recovered;
                  - case 3, a man from Sadr (Al Sadr) district, who was hospitalized (who knows whatever happened to him);

And, now we have the 3 year-old -- probably case 4 -- who recovered and now, retrospectively, has tested pos for H5N1. He is also from Sadr (Al Sadr) district. (Wonder if he's any relation to case 3?)

Comment

Map of Baghdad -- Al Sadr city is to the north in the Adhamiya region -- Kamaliya is to the east in the Nissan region.

Al Sadr:

Fedhailia, Kamaliya [#35 on the map following the link]:
                    The leading humanitarian information source on global crises and disasters. Reliable and timely information from trusted sources.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baghdad.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	647833

Comment

I've begun to notice that every confirmed case in the world is identified due to it's being part of a cluster, and just wanted to see if it was the same in Iraq.
                      No kidding, huh?! I've started to work under that assumption now, too.

Comment

You are probably right, Al. I was trying to get my head around the cases listed in this article, but it made not sense to me earlier. The only reason I questioned if case 2 was the 3 year-old was because I was looking for a recovered case -- doesn't have to be the 3 year-old at all.

- case 1 and 2 related from Kamaliya district -- case 1 died while case 2 recovered;
                        - case 3, a man from Sadr (Al Sadr) district, who was hospitalized (who knows whatever happened to him);

And, now we have the 3 year-old -- probably case 4 -- who recovered and now, retrospectively, has tested pos for H5N1. He is also from Sadr (Al Sadr) district. (Wonder if he's any relation to case 3?)
                        The WHO update indocates the 3 year old became sick March 15, so it seems that the three year old is case 2 (cluster membership probably required for testing - 3 y.o probably tested because he was a contact of case 1 above, who died).

Comment

Good job, Theresa. That was my hunch. I've begun to notice that every confirmed case in the world is identified due to it's being part of a cluster, and just wanted to see if it was the same in Iraq.
                          Yes. th emajority of index cases for countries are part of a cluster. For Iraq the first case died as did her uncle (in Northern Iraq). It was shortly after the Turkey outbreak, and one physician indocated that the case had symptoms that matrched the initial fatalities in Turkey.

WHO issued a denial, but when the girl's uncle died also, the denials didn't hold up (and both cases were subsequently confirmed).

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/01..._Clinical.html

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/01...q_Cluster.html

Comment

Avian influenza ? situation in Iraq - update 5
                            19 September 2006
                            The Ministry of Health in Iraq has retrospectively confirmed the country?s third case of human infection with the H5N1 avian influenza virus. The case, a 3-year-old boy, was hospitalized in Baghdad on 15 March 2006. His illness was mild and he fully recovered.
                            During its outbreak, which is now considered over, Iraq faced problems in the shipment of specimens for external verification of diagnostic tests. For the retrospectively confirmed case, initial test results were inconclusive, possibly as a result of sample deterioration during shipment. Repeated testing, using different methods, was needed for diagnostic confirmation.
                            The two cases previously confirmed in Iraq occurred in January 2006. Both cases were fatal.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_09_19/en/index.html

Comment

I think the quote below indicates the 3 year old is from Kamaliya

"The spokesperson noted that a member of the same family of the patient died with suspicions of bird flu disease, while another family member had symptoms of the disease in the area of Kamaliya in Baghdad.

Meanwhile, the source said that three-year-old Haydar Razzaq Hussein fully recovered from the disease and is living a normal life,"

I think there are three people described ands all are related. One (3M) retrospectively tested positive, one was admitted twoward the end of the month, and one died prior to being tested. WHO has only acknowledged the 3 y.o.

Comment

Working...
                              X