Don't Monetize the Debt/Creative Destruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Monetize the Debt/Creative Destruction

""""the trick here is to assist the functioning of the private markets without signaling in any way, shape or form that the Federal Reserve will be party to monetizing fiscal largess, deficits or the stimulus program.""""

"""I am a big believer in Schumpeter's creative destruction. The destructive part is always painful, politically messy, it hurts like hell but you hopefully will allow the adjustments to be made so that the creative part can take place."""

Don't Monetize the Debt

The president of the Dallas Fed on inflation risk and central bank independence.

By MARY ANASTASIA O'GRADY

Dallas

From his perch high atop the palatial Dallas Federal Reserve Bank, overlooking what he calls "the most modern, efficient city in America," Richard Fisher says he is always on the lookout for rising prices. But that's not what's worrying the bank's president right now.

His bigger concern these days would seem to be what he calls "the perception of risk" that has been created by the Fed's purchases of Treasury bonds, mortgage-backed securities and Fannie Mae paper.

Mr. Fisher acknowledges that events in the financial markets last year required some unusual Fed action in the commercial lending market. But he says the longer-term debt, particularly the Treasurys, is making investors nervous. The looming challenge, he says, is to reassure markets that the Fed is not going to be "the handmaiden" to fiscal profligacy. "I think the trick here is to assist the functioning of the private markets without signaling in any way, shape or form that the Federal Reserve will be party to monetizing fiscal largess, deficits or the stimulus program."

The very fact that a Fed regional bank president has to raise this issue is not very comforting. It conjures up images of Argentina. And as Mr. Fisher explains, he's not the only one worrying about it. He has just returned from a trip to China, where "senior officials of the Chinese government grill[ed] me about whether or not we are going to monetize the actions of our legislature." He adds, "I must have been asked about that a hundred times in China."

A native of Los Angeles who grew up in Mexico, Mr. Fisher was educated at Harvard, Oxford and Stanford. He spent his earliest days in government at Jimmy Carter's Treasury. He says that taught him a life-long lesson about inflation. It was "inflation that destroyed that presidency," he says. He adds that he learned a lot from then Fed Chairman Paul Volcker, who had to "break [inflation's] back."

Mr. Fisher has led the Dallas Fed since 2005 and has developed a reputation as the Federal Open Market Committee's (FOMC) lead inflation worrywart.
    In September he told a New York audience that "rates held too low, for too long during the previous Fed regime were an accomplice to [the] reckless behavior" that brought about the economic troubles we are now living through. He also warned that the Treasury's $700 billion plan to buy toxic assets from financial institutions would be "one more straw on the back of the frightfully encumbered camel that is the federal government ledger."

In a speech at the Kennedy School of Government in February, he wrung his hands about "the very deep hole [our political leaders] have dug in incurring unfunded liabilities of retirement and health-care obligations" that "we at the Dallas Fed believe total over $99 trillion." In March, he is believed to have vociferously objected in closed-door FOMC meetings to the proposal to buy U.S. Treasury bonds. So with long-term Treasury yields moving up sharply despite Fed intentions to bring down mortgage rates, I've flown to Dallas to see what he's thinking now.

Regarding what caused the credit bubble, he repeats his assertion about the Fed's role: "It is human instinct when rates are low and the yield curve is flat to reach for greater risk and enhanced yield and returns." (Later, he adds that this is not to cast aspersions on former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan and reminds me that these decisions are made by the FOMC.)

"The second thing is that the regulators didn't do their job, including the Federal Reserve." To this he adds what he calls unusual circumstances, including "the fruits and tailwinds of globalization, billions of people added to the labor supply, new factories and productivity coming from places it had never come from before." And finally, he says, there was the 'mathematization' of risk." Institutions were "building risk models" and relying heavily on "quant jocks" when "in the end there can be no substitute for good judgment."

What about another group of alleged culprits: the government-anointed rating agencies? Mr. Fisher doesn't mince words. "I served on corporate boards. The way rating agencies worked is that they were paid by the people they rated. I saw that from the inside." He says he also saw this "inherent conflict of interest" as a fund manager. "I never paid attention to the rating agencies. If you relied on them you got . . . you know," he says, sparing me the gory details. "You did your own analysis. What is clear is that rating agencies always change something after it is obvious to everyone else. That's why we never relied on them." That's a bit disconcerting since the Fed still uses these same agencies in managing its own portfolio.

I wonder whether the same bubble-producing Fed errors aren't being repeated now as Washington scrambles to avoid a sustained economic downturn.

He surprises me by siding with the deflation hawks.
    "I don't think that's the risk right now." Why? One factor influencing his view is the Dallas Fed's "trim mean calculation," which looks at price changes of more than 180 items and excludes the extremes. Dallas researchers have found that "the price increases are less and less. Ex-energy, ex-food, ex-tobacco you've got some mild deflation here and no inflation in the [broader] headline index."

Mr. Fisher says he also has a group of about 50 CEOs around the U.S. and the world that he calls on, all off the record, before almost every FOMC meeting. "I don't impart any information, I just listen carefully to what they are seeing through their own eyes. And that gives me a sense of what's happening on the ground, you might say on Main Street as opposed to Wall Street."

It's good to know that a guy so obsessed with price stability doesn't see inflation on the horizon. But inflation and bubble trouble almost always get going before they are recognized. Moreover, the Fed has to pay attention to the 1978 Full Employment and Balanced Growth Act -- a.k.a. Humphrey-Hawkins -- and employment is a lagging indicator of economic activity. This could create a Fed bias in favor of inflating. So I push him again.

"I want to make sure that your readers understand that I don't know a single person on the FOMC who is rooting for inflation or who is tolerant of inflation." The committee knows very well, he assures me, that "you cannot have sustainable employment growth without price stability. And by price stability I mean that we cannot tolerate deflation or the ravages of inflation."

Mr. Fisher defends the Fed's actions that were designed to "stabilize the financial system as it literally fell apart and prevent the economy from imploding." Yet he admits that there is unfinished work. Policy makers have to be "always mindful that whatever you put in, you are going to have to take out at some point. And also be mindful that there are these perceptions [about the possibility of monetizing the debt], which is why I have been sensitive about the issue of purchasing Treasurys."

He returns to events on his recent trip to Asia, which besides China included stops in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Korea. "I wasn't asked once about mortgage-backed securities. But I was asked at every single meeting about our purchase of Treasurys. That seemed to be the principal preoccupation of those that were invested with their surpluses mostly in the United States. That seems to be the issue people are most worried about."

As I listen I am reminded that it's not just the Asians who have expressed concern. In his Kennedy School speech, Mr. Fisher himself fretted about the U.S. fiscal picture. He acknowledges that he has raised the issue "ad nauseam" and doesn't apologize. "Throughout history," he says, "what the political class has done is they have turned to the central bank to print their way out of an unfunded liability. We can't let that happen. That's when you open the floodgates. So I hope and I pray that our political leaders will just have to take this bull by the horns at some point. You can't run away from it."

Voices like Mr. Fisher's can be a problem for the politicians,
    which may be why recently there have been rumblings in Washington about revoking the automatic FOMC membership that comes with being a regional bank president. Does Mr. Fisher have any thoughts about that?

This is nothing new, he points out, briefly reviewing the history of the political struggle over monetary policy in the U.S. "The reason why the banks were put in the mix by [President Woodrow] Wilson in 1913, the reason it was structured the way it was structured, was so that you could offset the political power of Washington and the money center in New York with the regional banks. They represented Main Street.

"Now we have this great populist fervor and the banks are arguing for Main Street, largely. I have heard these arguments before and studied the history. I am not losing a lot of sleep over it," he says with a defiant Texas twang that I had not previously detected. "I don't think that it'd be the best signal to send to the market right now that you want to totally politicize the process."

Speaking of which, Texas bankers don't have much good to say about the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), according to Mr. Fisher. "Its been complicated by the politics because you have a special investigator, special prosecutor, and all I can tell you is that in my district here most of the people who wanted in on the TARP no longer want in on the TARP."

At heart, Mr. Fisher says he is an advocate for letting markets clear on their own. "You know that I am a big believer in Schumpeter's creative destruction," he says referring to the term coined by the late Austrian economist. "The destructive part is always painful, politically messy, it hurts like hell but you hopefully will allow the adjustments to be made so that the creative part can take place." Texas went through that process in the 1980s, he says, and came back stronger.

This is doubtless why, with Washington taking on a larger role in the American economy every day, the worries linger. On the wall behind his desk is a 1907 gouache painting by Antonio De Simone of the American steam sailing vessel Varuna plowing through stormy seas. Just like most everything else on the walls, bookshelves and table tops around his office -- and even the dollar-sign cuff links he wears to work -- it represents something.

He says that he has had this painting behind his desk for the past 30 years as a reminder of the importance of purpose and duty in rough seas. "The ship," he explains, "has to maintain its integrity." What is more, "no mathematical model can steer you through the kind of seas in that picture there. In the end someone has the wheel." He adds: "On monetary policy it's the Federal Reserve."

Ms. O'Grady writes the Journal's Americas column.

Re: Don't Monetize the Debt/Creative Destruction

Thanks Kent for posting.

I am always amazed at the predictions by our economic experts. None of them have predicted with any accuracy, for any moderate to long time period, the major economic events of the last century.

Some get it right once in a while. And those that get it right have the wrong timing by 5 - 10 years. Flipping a coin would be as accurate as most of these experts.

They always underestimate the consumer. They are living in their ivory tower lives and most have forgotten what a loaf of bread costs. They know advanced economic theory but they have forgotten the basics.

Inflation and deflation are both threats now. This is the real truth. They can happen at the same time. As cash becomes less desirable, demand for hard assets will increase. However, the federal reserve will be forced to raise interest rates leading to more inflation which will raise the cost of borrowing - further deflating the economy as consumers and businesses have to pay more to borrow. Prices will increase to accommodate the higher price of borrowing and the continuing decline of the purchasing power of the currencies. As some businesses fail others in that category can increase prices due to less competition and they will.

Ergo - Inflation and Deflation at the same time.

Loyalty is a very important concept in a downturn. Businesses who have a strong customer base and "brand loyalty" will be able to survive longer. Reliability and consistency are valued traits in a business and everything should be done to further this.

There is an undercurrent of strength that can be used to sustain and grow the economy.

But it will take "guts". Selfishness is out. We must look in our communities - look into our lives - and determine what is most important. People. Not things. Save more. Share more. Learn new skills. Stop destructive behaviors. This is a must.

When are we going to learn that "They" is "Us"?

We are seeing this in the creation and proliferation of emerging and re-emerging diseases. The neglect of public health in some areas of the world has contributed to the situation we find ourselves in today. Populations without clean drinking water and/or sanitation facilities do not have any chance at health. They are us. If they are sick, "we" will feel it. We now have antibiotic resistant tuberculosis and staphylococcus aureus. We have chikungunya with a hemorrhagic component and higher case fatality rate. We have "malignant" malaria and denque hemorrhagic fever. We have AIDS/HIV.

How do we fix this?

Make it a priority that no one on earth starves anymore.

Develop clean drinking water facilities for all peoples.

Show communities how to construct simple sanitation facilities.

Support and fund organizations like Doctors Without Borders so that they can expand their work.

Ask our governments to increase funding for treatments and cures.

Look into our lives. Re-focus on the human spirit. Let go the petty jealousies and competitions. Cherish our true friends and near ones.

I know this all sounds like some Pollyanna wish, but I have hope.

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence."

Lin Yutang

Comment

Thanks F1, an excellent overall perspective...

On Debt Monetization this shows somewhat where we're at. The Fed is considering trying to keep things like this (increasing mortgage rates) from happening by essentially printing money to buy Treasuries thereby trying to keep long term interest rates down in addition to their traditional role of managing short term interest rates. Some people fear that this 'monetizing the debt' may be going overboard in the quantitative easing strategy at the expense of much needed fiscal discipline. Maybe interest rates need to be higher rather than trying to falsely stimulate buying instead of encouraging prudence....

With the Ten Year Treasury yield hitting 3.7% today, mortgage rates will be increasing. Click on graph for larger image in new window. This...

May 27, 2009

Mortgage Rates: Moving Higher

by CalculatedRisk on 5/27/2009 02:30:00 PM

With the Ten Year Treasury yield hitting 3.7% today, mortgage rates will be increasing.

This graph shows the relationship between the Ten Year yield (x-axis) and the 30 year mortgage rate (y-axis, monthly from Freddie Mac) since 1971. The relationship isn't perfect, but the correlation is very high.

Based on this historical data, a Ten Year yield at 3.7% suggests a 30 year mortgage rate of around 5.6%.

The second graph compares the weekly 30 year fixed rate conforming rate from Freddie Mac, and the 10 year treasury yield. The black line is the spread between the two rates.

As the Ten Year yield increased earlier this year, the spread decreased, and mortgage rates only moved up slightly.

However the spread has reached the lower end of the range, and the recent increase in the Ten Year yield will push up mortgage rates.

------------------------

On the Creative Destruction front a GM bankruptcy loom large. Although probably not the end of the world as some would suggest this will definitely be painful with far reaching ramifications...

GM Debt-Equity Swap Fails Before Bankruptcy Deadline (Update2)

By Caroline Salas

May 27 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp. failed to get 90 percent of its bondholders to swap their claims for stock, pushing the largest U.S. automaker closer to bankruptcy.

The principal amount of notes tendered was ?substantially less than the amount required by GM? and, as a result, ?the exchange offers will not be consummated,? the company said today in a statement. GM faces a government-imposed June 1 deadline to restructure or file for bankruptcy.

GM, propped up by $19.4 billion in emergency U.S. loans, will file for bankruptcy protection after failing to get 90 percent of bondholders to swap their debt, Chief Executive Officer Fritz Henderson has said. The exchange offer was opposed by both institutional and individual investors, who said they?ve been treated worse than a union retiree-medical fund.

?It?s no surprise at all that a deal that was as unattractive as this one would be soundly rejected,? said Pete Hastings, a fixed-income analyst at Morgan Keegan & Co. in Memphis, Tennessee. Bankruptcy is ?imminent,? said Hastings, who urged his clients to refuse the exchange offer.

The decision on a bankruptcy is ?up to the GM board to decide and that meeting is later in the week,? said Julie Gibson, a company spokeswoman. She declined to be more specific on the timing of the meeting.

Bond Price Decline

Bondholders were offered 225 shares in a newly created entity for each $1,000 in principal before a 1-for-100 reverse split of the stock. They were offered a 10 percent stake in the reorganized company for their $27 billion of debt.

GM?s $3 billion of 8.375 percent bonds maturing in 2033 fell 1.5 cents to 6.3 cents on the dollar as of 9:13 a.m. in New York, according to Trace, the bond-price reporting system of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. The debt yields 129 percent and has fallen from 21 cents at the start of the year and 70 cents 12 months ago.

The automaker also said it canceled meetings with holders of non-dollar-denominated notes that were scheduled to take place today.

?The offer probably cost them more to print out than the offer is worth,? Gary Thomas, a retired auto mechanic and GM bondholder, said in a telephone interview from Kingston, Tennessee, before the results were announced.

Thomas, 56, said he has ?hundreds of thousands of dollars? of his savings in the automaker?s bonds and has joined a group of individual creditors called GM Bondholders Unite. The group is trying to gather investors and hire legal representation to get ?fair and equitable treatment? in a bankruptcy, according to its Web site.

GM shares fell 20 cents, or 13.9 percent, to $1.24 as of 9:47 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

Amended Offer

After GM announced the exchange offer on April 27, the ad hoc committee of institutional bondholders said in a statement that the swap was ?neither reasonable nor adequate? and showed ?political favoritism of one creditor over another? because the United Auto Workers retiree health-care fund was originally offered about $10 billion in cash and as much as a 39 percent equity stake for $20 billion in claims.

GM?s offer to the UAW health-care fund was changed to 17.5 percent of the new stock, $6.5 billion in preferred shares that pay a 9 percent annual dividend, as well as a $2.5 billion note that will be repaid in installments until 2017, according to a union document obtained by Bloomberg.

The ad hoc bondholder committee, whose members have included Capital Research Management & Co. of Los Angeles and San Mateo, California-based Franklin Resources Inc., presented a counteroffer to President Barack Obama?s auto task force in April that sought a 58 percent equity stake in exchange for their claims. Their offer wasn?t adopted.

To contact the reporter on this story: Caroline Salas in New York at csalas1@bloomberg.net

Comment

"""The Fed is desperate to keep mortgage rates low to reflate the housing market, and last week it promised to inject hundreds of billions of dollars more in this effort. This week the bond vigilantes are showing what they think of that offer, bidding up yields even higher. It's not going too far to say we are watching a showdown between Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and bond investors, otherwise known as the financial markets. When in doubt, bet on the markets."""

With the extreme pressures on the housing market such as huge inventories as well as decreased demand fed largely by increasing unemployment this policy is facing huge headwinds. Trying to falsely reinflate this market against such large deleverging pressure could have very negative effects on overall fiscal health.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1243...783.htmlREVIEW & OUTLOOK

MAY 29, 2009

The Bond Vigilantes

The disciplinarians of U.S. policy makers return.

They're back. We refer to the global investors once known as the bond vigilantes, who demanded higher Treasury bond yields from the late 1970s through the 1990s whenever inflation fears popped up, and as a result disciplined U.S. policy makers. The vigilantes vanished earlier this decade amid the credit mania, but they appear to be returning with a vengeance now that Congress and the Federal Reserve have flooded the world with dollars to beat the recession.

Treasury yields leapt again yesterday at the long end, with the 10-year note climbing above 3.7%, its highest close since November. Treasury yields had stayed low, and the dollar had remained strong, as long as investors were looking for the safest financial port amid the post-September panic. But as risk aversion subsides, and investors return to corporate bonds and other assets, investors are now calculating the risks of renewed dollar inflation.

They have cause to be worried, given Washington's astonishing bet on fiscal and monetary reflation. The Obama Administration's epic spending spree means the Treasury will have to float trillions of dollars in new debt in the next two or three years alone. Meanwhile, the Fed has gone beyond cutting rates to directly purchasing such financial assets as mortgage-backed securities, as well as directly monetizing federal debt by buying Treasurys for the first time in half a century. No wonder the Chinese and other dollar asset holders are nervous. They wonder -- as do we -- whether the unspoken Beltway strategy is to pay off this debt by inflating away its value.

The surge in the 10-year note is especially notable because its rate helps to determine mortgage lending rates. The Fed is desperate to keep mortgage rates low to reflate the housing market, and last week it promised to inject hundreds of billions of dollars more in this effort. This week the bond vigilantes are showing what they think of that offer, bidding up yields even higher. It's not going too far to say we are watching a showdown between Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and bond investors, otherwise known as the financial markets. When in doubt, bet on the markets.

Comment

The Federal Reserve is independently owned and operated but prints money for the US govt and affects monetary policy by setting the short term interest rates. It does this by buying short term US treasuries which are bonds sold by the US Treasury to raise money. If it buys these bonds it puts more money into circulation thus effectively lowering interest rates. If it sells these bonds it takes money out of the system making it more difficult to obtain and thus effectively raising interest rates...

Monetization of the debt requires another step. Here the Treasury perfoms its normal function of selling bonds to other countries or private citizens to raise money. But then the Fed buys the treasuries back from these people. When a country can print its own money as the US can it is not supposed to print money to pay its debts (this is called monetizing the debt) but is supposed to finance these debts with bonds (treasuries) sold by the US Treasury. When the Fed steps in and buys these bonds off the secondary market they are printing money to do so thereby monetizing the debt falsely lowering interest rates. Also as opposed to short term bonds for their normal interest rate manipulations these are more long term bonds they are buying which falsely lowers long term rates such as home mortgages. This is part of the 'quantitative easing' program which floods the system with liquidity but can lead to asset bubbles and inflation.

Thursday, August 6. 2009

BLATANT Monetization Uncovered

Remember the Dallas Fed's Fisher saying that "The Fed will not become the handmaiden of Treasury"?

He was lying (The Fed already has), and now there is proof.

Mad props to both Zerohedge and Chris Martenson for noticing this; I missed the facts buried in the CUSIP list.

The upshot: The Fed bought nearly half of LAST WEEK'S 7 year Treasury Issuance TODAY.

Huh? Remember, after the 5 year auction that went badly (and which I wrote about) the 7yr auction went "well." Rick Santelli (and a lot of other people) agreed - demand was strong. That made no sense to me at the time, coming one day after a near-failure in the 5 year.

Well now we know what happened: The Fed pretty clearly pre-arranged, either explicitly or by "suggestion", that the Primary Dealers take up the auction with the promise that The Fed would immediately monetize half what the Primary Dealer's took!

Folks, this is beyond bad - it is pernicious and outrageous conduct by The Federal Reserve in conspiracy with the Primary Dealers, both of which are now desperately trying to prop up the US Government Bond Market through subterfuge rather than just buying up the bond issue from Treasury when originally put to the market!

If you think the economy and credit markets are "on the mend" why would The Fed do something like this? It would not be necessary unless The Fed was told (by those very same Primary Dealers) that they were going to be unable or unwilling to take down any more Treasury Debt.

Folks, let me be clear: The United States HAS OFFICIALLY HIT THE TREASURY DEBT WALL and The Fed and Treasury are engaged in subterfuge and conspiracy in an attempt to hide this from the market.

There is no other explanation for what just happened.

None.

This is likely what the market figured out:

When it sinks in to the market's consciousness - we had two failed Treasury Auctions last week, both 5 and 7 year, yet we intend to try to borrow ANOTHER $400 billion next quarter and nearly $100 billion this coming week - the consequences could be extremely severe.

Comment

The Fed will probably resist tightening and try to keep interest rates low as long as we have an unemployment problem. We are at the stage where consumer spending can no longer be fueled by debt but needs to be fueled by real jobs.

Also the flight to safety helps keep the dollar strong and this and decreased fiscal stimulus helps keep inflation at bay.

This accommodative money policy is good except that it has lost its multiplier effect meaning that it is not being lent out to the economy and allowed to work in a productive fashion. Too much of it seems to be finding its way to investment banks which are using it reflate housing, equity and commodity bubbles rather than finding its way to commercial and community banks who would lend it out to small businesses to help create jobs....

Comment

I think part of the problem is that lending requirements have tightened so "regular" businesses and potential home buyers are having a harder time qualifying for loans.

Comment

Yes, lending standards have tightened but we definitely needed to move away from some things such as 'no doc' loans, (ie no documentation of income or assets necessary to get a loan, so called 'liar loans') or loans where you could pay only a portion of the interest owed thereby actually increasing the outstanding principal on a month to month basis... And in many cases these were predatory in nature where the mortgage originators generated fees for making loans they knew had little chance of being paid back and helped create the horrible foreclosure mess that we are currently in..

As Simon Johnson points out in his book 13 Bankers , we did a great job of moving the financial crisis from the edge of the cliff but not so good a job of restoring health to the financial system... He quotes Krugman, who along with Simon, Stiglitz and Roubini thought the banks should be put into receivorship... ""As long as capital injections are seen as a way to bail out the people who got us into this mess (which they are as long as the banks haven't been put into receivership), the political system won't, repeat, won't be willing to come up with enough money to make the system healthy again. At most we'll get a slow intravenous drip that's enough to keep the banks shambling along""

As Simon goes on ""The government should have taken over the banks, cleaned them up so they would function normally, and sold them back into private hands when possible, as in an FDIC intervention. While takeovers would be a form of temporary nationalization, no one ever refers to FDIC takeovers that way; instead, they are thought of as government-managed bankruptcy process."" ""Taking over sick megabanks would also have political benefits. Bailing out the banks unconditionally put the government in the position of having to ask for favors later - favors that the banks would have no reason to return. By contrast, taking them over would have weakened or eliminated their ability to resist the regulatory reforms necessary to ensure long-term stability and economic growth."" ""Finally, takevover was only fair. Bankers who had run their institutions into the ground would no longer collect seven - or eight-figure bonuses made possible only by government bailouts""

If these weakened banks end up taking another hit from the evolving Eurozone crisis there may be another chance to revisit receivorship.... The problems appear related as much of the mismanaged private debt problems have now ended up on public sovereign balance sheets...

Comment

I agree about the no document loans and loans where the principle increases instead of decreases over time.

Comment

so, buy CDSs on USA-government bonds ?

sell $ ? (against what)
                    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by kent nickell View Post
                      The problems appear related as much of the mismanaged private debt problems have now ended up on public sovereign balance sheets...
                      without any safeguards that it won't happen again so the public may be on the hook for more bailouts in the future.
                      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

We may never know what really goes on......

Goldman Sachs stonewalling, federal panel says

The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission subpoenas the firm, demanding information about its role during the mortgage meltdown and credit crunch.

<!-- Module ends: article-header--><!-- Module starts: article-byline (ArticleByline) -->June 08, 2010|By Nathaniel Popper and Tom Petruno, Los Angeles Times

snip

The panel, formally called the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, said it resorted to the subpoena after Goldman responded to an initial request by sending a massive amount of electronic documents — the equivalent of 2.5 billion pages — without saying where in those documents the answers to the commission's specific questions might lie.

"We did not ask them to pull up a dump truck to our offices to dump a bunch of rubbish," commission Chairman Phil Angelides told reporters during a telephone conference call.

A Goldman spokesman said, "We have been and continue to be committed to providing the FCIC with the information they have requested."

more....

Comment

Working...
                        X