• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia: A/H1N1 impact will be 'greater in Indigenous regions'

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/2592500.htm

Swine flu impact will be 'greater in Indigenous regions'

Posted 4 hours 36 minutes ago
    Updated 3 hours 22 minutes ago

The Darwin-based Menzies School of Health Research says high rates of chronic disease in remote communities will make people more vulnerable to swine flu.

Menzies director Jonathan Carapetis says the recent confirmation of swine flu on the Tiwi Islands is a concern.

"We'd want to be watching carefully the people who are exposed and who develop the disease to make sure they get the anti-viral treatment early," he said.

Tiwi Islander Crystal Johnson tested positive to the virus and says she is concerned health authorities have not done enough to inform other residents about the threat.

Professor Carapetis says the impact of H1N1 will be greater in Indigenous communities than it has been in Australia's major centres.

"The cases that have developed more severe disease are the sort of people who have underlying problems like diabetes and other chronic diseases," he said.

"So I guess you would want to be a bit more careful about this disease appearing in remote Aboriginal communities, given the high rates of those other chronic diseases."

But Professor Carapetis is confident in the department's approach.

"At some stage yes, somebody is likely to suffer a death from it but we shouldn't be panicking," he said.

He says a fatality from swine flu becomes more likely as more people contract the disease, but says the severity and mortality from H1N1 is lower than the normal flu.

Re: Australia: A/H1N1 impact will be 'greater in Indigenous regions'

More about the Tiwi story

Originally posted by kiwibird View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...07/2591453.htm

Swine flu victim 'left hungry for days'

Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009 7:17am AEST
    Updated 11 hours 49 minutes ago

A woman from the Tiwi Islands in the Northern Territory who has swine flu says she has been left in the dark by health authorities and went hungry for days because she is in quarantine.

The Health Department confirmed the swine flu case after Crystal Johnson, 35, contacted the ABC to talk about her condition.

Ms Johnson, who lives on Bathurst Island north of Darwin, says health authorities did not warn other residents the virus had arrived in the community.

She says she returned to Bathurst Island from a trip to Cairns last weekend and started to feel sick.

"I'm a chronic diabetic and it really affected me bad ... I had bad aches and pains in my joints," she said.

Ms Johnson says she met a lot of people on Monday before she went to the health clinic, and she is angry the community has not been told about the case.

"I don't want to be responsible ... if anyone passes away and things like that," she said.

"My community don't realise how it's a really bad flu and we live in a third world state here in the Northern Territory, up here on Bathurst Island."

She is now in quarantine and says she was hungry for three days because she could not leave her home.

Ms Johnson says she could not get food or call for help.

"I feel like I've been locked away in my own house," she said.

"For the last three days I didn't have any food. It was really hard for me to go outside and to actually get something to eat.

"Luckily a friend rang me and I told a friend to go and get some food for me."

But the Health Department says Ms Johnson was told she could do grocery shopping if she wore a mask.

The Health Department also says community elders and vulnerable people have been warned about swine flu and how to avoid it.

Comment

Working...
    X