Emergency Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Hunting

One of the easiest methods of emergency hunting is by laying snares and traps. If you've noticed squirrels or rabbits in your area, chances are you could easily add a little extra protein to your diet by using this method.

A snare is a rope or line laid in such a manner that an animal becomes entrapped within a noose. A simple and effective means of trapping squirrels is to build a series of loose granny knots along a propped up heavy branch up a tree that they frequent. Here's a link:

A trap is far more complex and requires true skill to build. Here's a simple deadfall and a figure four trap. Not too hard to build but quite difficult to catch anything.

De-scenting your skin with earth and or something local like mint will help you to have more luck.

This book explains the whole process and I highly recommend it.

Here's a very young Tom Brown article in Mother Earth News. This takes me back to a simpler happier time:

Re: Emergency Hunting

Originally posted by Possibilities View Post
    One of the easiest methods of emergency hunting is by laying snares and traps.
    This one probably won't get me a lot of fans. For the record i do all my hunting with a camera nowadays - but I used to hunt when younger.

However, I am prepared to "bag my food" if it comes to that. I live in the mountains - plenty of deer, turkey, etc.... But even if I was a city dweller, and was forced to seek protein in a severe food shortage - I'd still reccomend a .22 rifle for small game. Ammo is cheap, and it's actually much more humane than strangling slowly in a snare.

Having a gun might come in handy for defense as well. And if push came to shove... Pigeon is nothing but a fat glorified Dove / Quail.

Mmmmm Mmmm Good! Ellie May - pass me them possum jowls!

Comment

A slingshot bought from the hunting department and a bag of glass marbles can be used very effectively at 25 yards or less to bring down small game.

Possum....well I once knew a strange fellow who made a possum stew, but none of us would even think of eating it. Possums will eat anything. Yuck.

During the Allied bombing of Okinawa, survivors would boil some water and cook up snails and slugs after the rains. I like escargot...but can't imagine using olive oil and garlic on slugs...

Comment

Possum....well I once knew a strange fellow who made a possum stew, but none of us would even think of eating it. Possums will eat anything. Yuck.
        Yeah LOL
        That Ellie May / Possum thing was definitely a joke Yuck indeed.

HOWEVER - in a sever supply / food shortage situation.... people might resort to things that if it made the news today - there would be outrage.

The family dog might be dinner.....
        OR you might be his!

Something no one has mentioned so far to my knowledge is "Pet Food". Dogs and cats have to eat. They eat meat. Human beings, with all of our "civilized ways" can result to pretty bad and desparate behaviour in a quick pinch. Probably wouldn't take too long for Fido to start looking at you like a drumstick.

But if you hunt - the pets will happily eat the parts that you wouldn't dream of.

Comment

Coyotes are getting pretty bold in some cities. I imagine some folks will turn loose their dogs if things go badly. Some dogs have been known in my state to go feral and run with them.

Right now some of you reading this are repulsed, but later some of our hick wisdom might come in handy.

Comment

Right now some of you reading this are repulsed, but later some of our hick wisdom might come in handy.
            HAHAHAHA - by golly - yer darn tootin!

hehehe

But in all seriousness... I was talking to an old farmer gal the other day. Her farm and livelihood is being squeezed. I told her not to worry.... that the was the world is heading - food is going to be the new oil soon. She'll be popular before she knows it.

And then everyone with their nose in the air will remember the importance of the basics. And they will be humbled mightily.

Comment

I found out this weekend that there are sporting goods places which allow people to practice shooting bbguns and performing archery indoors. It was free for my family and me. They were thrilled to practice, and I am considering whether or not to buy equipment. I plan on taking them regularly to see if they enjoy it. If they hunt on their own, I won't have to be the sole one doing so.

Archery is a good skill for more than one reason.

Comment

I found out this weekend that there are sporting goods places which allow people to practice shooting bbguns and performing archery indoors. It was free for my family and me. They were thrilled to practice, and I am considering whether or not to buy equipment. I plan on taking them regularly to see if they enjoy it. If they hunt on their own, I won't have to be the sole one doing so.

Archery is a good skill for more than one reason.
                Among other things, you get to re-use the ammo

Comment

Working...
                X