New York - 709*
    North Dakota -1
    Oklahoma - 4
    Oregon - 16
    Utah - 90
    Washington - 50
    West Virginia - 1

*New York hospitalizations are for NYC only
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: U.S. Hospitalizations by State

Question.....
    Are these numbers represetative of Current, or Cummulative Hospitalizations????

Comment

Just found this today.... Onondaga County (which is basically Syracuse, NY and surrounding areas) reporting 21 hospitalizations.

http://www.ongov.net/Health/SwineFlu.html

That would make NY State 730.

*NYC and Syracuse both cumulative #s

Comment

Originally posted by The Mountains Voice View Post
        Question.....
        Are these numbers represetative of Current, or Cummulative Hospitalizations????
        These are cummulative as far as I can discern. For example, Utah reported 90 hospitalizations, but their bar chart showing daily hospitalizations over time suggested many more. Then I realized that the chart showed the number of people hospitalized on any given day and, obviously, people spent more than one day in the hospital.
        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

According to the state health dept. websites, New Jersey, Utah, Virginia, and Washington are reporting only hospitalized cases (UT and WA) or hospitalizations supplemented with limited testing of other groups such as identified clusters (NJ and VA). Many other states appear to be doing the same. Some states seem to have stopped providing data entirely, except what the CDC gets for their weekly report. The silence is deafening. It seems that once Wisconsin topped 3,000 confirmed cases, for example, no additional statewide data were made available. Below are a few updates. I added Vermont since they stated on their website that there were no hospitalizations, but the case count from their site is old.

California - 77
          Colorado - 22
          Connecticut - 28
          Indiana - 13
          Maine - 4
          Massachusetts - 80
          Minnesota - 69
          New Hampshire - 3
          New York - 730*
          North Dakota -1
          Oklahoma - 4
          Oregon - 16
          Utah - 129
          Vermont - 0
          Washington - 50
          West Virginia - 1

*New York hospitalizations are for NYC and Onondaga County only

Comment

Today's numbers:

California - 99
            Colorado - 22
            Connecticut - 28
            Indiana - 26
            Maine - 5
            Massachusetts - 80
            Minnesota - 92
            Montana - 4
            New Hampshire - 6
            New York - 730*
            North Dakota -1
            Oklahoma - 4
            Oregon - 16
            Utah - 129
            Vermont - 0
            Washington - 50
            West Virginia - 4

Comment

NYC is now 803

Rhode Island - 23
              Get the latest breaking news, sports, entertainment and obituaries in Providence, RI from The Providence Journal.

Comment

Latest numbers:

Arizona - 87
                California - 99
                Colorado - 22
                Connecticut - 28
                Delaware - 9
                Hawaii - 1*
                Indiana - 26
                Maine - 7
                Massachusetts - 99
                Minnesota - 111
                Montana - 4
                New Hampshire - 10
                New York - 824**
                North Dakota -1
                Oklahoma - 4
                Oregon - 16
                Rhode Island - 23
                Utah - 129
                Vermont - 0
                Washington - 53
                West Virginia - 4

Total - 1,557

*Hawaii reported on their website that one out-of-state individual was hospitalized but did not give a total for the state.

This total does not include hospitalizations in states representing well over half of the reported cases. On 6/16 the CDC reported 1,621 total hospitalizations through 6/11. My guess is that when we get the number through 6/17, it will be over 3,000. The slope of the line seems to keep increasing.

Comment

I think we should track hospitalizations for several cities or counties
                  over time separately. Always give hospitalizations and times.
                  So we get many regional charts.

Adding them up is problematic because different regions are
                  included at a given time. We can calculate the expected total number
                  when we have many regions.

Do we see the same curves for hospitalizations in different regions ?
                  Are they going down alrady in some regions ?
                  I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                  my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

> NYC is now 803

uhh, and that without ILI
                    have they changed the hospitalization strategy or are
                    hospitalizations really increasing ?

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
                      > NYC is now 803

uhh, and that without ILI
                      have they changed the hospitalization strategy or are
                      hospitalizations really increasing ?
                      I'm not sure. This is a link to a chart of ILI from ER visits and hospital admissions. It looks like the 803 number is hospital admissions, but it is difficult to get an accurate count from the chart.

Comment

number of hospitalizations in Colorado from newflu
                        by week of diagnosis
                        confirmed(CDC) plus probable cases(commercial lab)

weeks 17-23 : 22,31,9,12,13,18,10
                        Utah,cumulative:4.June=35,11-June=90,17.June=129

Colorado became the first state to make laboratory-confirmed
                        influenza-associated hospitalizations a case-based reportable condition in 2004.

2004–05 (n = 978)
                        2007–08 (n = 1,004)
                        2005–06 (n = 848)
                        2006-07 only 367

influenza-associated hospitalizations are a reportable condition in Utah (UDOH)

The new swine flu’s symptoms are similar to those of other flu types. So, the Department of Health says these cases become reportable only when test results confirm the illness is due to the new virus. One exception is an outbreak of influenza-like illness in institutional settings such as nursing homes — already reportable even without specific testing.
                        State health officials are working with the Washington State Hospital Association, which supports the rule because it will help the state track this new strain of swine flu. One goal is to assure that reporting is required for only as long as necessary to confirm that this influenza strain is no stronger than the common flu.

laboratory-reportable in Arizona (ADHS)

per 17.June : 21+27+35+4 hospitalized (by age-group) , 1+2+4+0 deaths

we failed to track this earlier, the old records are no longer available,
                        so we can't track the trend, locate the peak, estimate the total impact

Comment

I'm having to really scour local news stories and have identified a number of states with a few hospitalizations reported locally. Italicized entries represent partial or unofficial data. Bold entries represent data from state health department websites or reports.

AZ - 87
                          CA - 99
                          CO - 22
                          CT - 28
                          DE - 12

FL - 25
                          GA - 2
                          HI - 1
                          IL - 1

IN - 26
                          ME - 7

MD - 1
                          MA - 99
                          MI - 5
                          MN - 111
                          MO - 4
                          NH - 10

NY - 826
                          NC - 2

ND - 1
                          OK - 4
                          OR - 16

PA - 1
                          RI - 23
                          SD - 0
                          UT - 129
                          VT - 0
                          WA - 53
                          WV - 4

WI - 3

TOTAL 1,602

Comment

The data posted on most of the state health department sites appears to be getting less and less current. Only West Virginia states that updates will be done more than once weekly and their's is the only hospitalization case count that changed since Friday - up 1 from 4 to 5.

Data on a number of the sites is well over a week old. For example, Washington state stopped reporting cases and is only reporting hospitalizations, and yet their most current number is dated June 13th. I'm not convinced that this is simply a function of managing the workload.

Comment

JimO,

Nice work digging up those numbers, I see we are close to the CDC estimate but still missing a ton of state figures.

I found this little gem from may 5th which states that the CDC had hospitalization details on only 399 of the 642 confirmed cases. It appears as if they only get hospitalization details on roughly 60% of their confirmed cases.

"Hospitalization status was known for 399 of the cases and amounted to 36 in the series (it has since increased). While this 9% prevalence is high, it is likely that more serious cases were preferentially tested, so we have yet to get a good fix on the severity of illness caused by this virus. Sufficient information on 22 hospitalized patients showed that 12, or about half, had underlying medical conditions that might have increased risk, but half did not, that is, they were previously healthy individuals, many of them young. There were 11 cases of pneumonia among the hospitalized. 8 wound up in intensive care, 4 had respiratory failure and 2 died."

Comment

Working...
                              X