Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentina: unusual serious cases in young people

Source: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1144216
    (note: there are 2 graphs with this article...click above to see them)

Lungs to be "burned" in hours
    There is a seriousness of patients' unusual '
    General News: previous | next
    Saturday June 27 2009

"We're seeing the placement of young patients, between 15 and 50 years with pneumonia, some rapidly evolving towards a gravity which for many is unusual, in which the lung is' fire 'in a matter of hours," said Dr. Jorge San Juan, head of the Department of Intensive Care Hospital Mu?iz.

This has led to patients with these characteristics begin to be treated in an increasingly aggressive. THE NATION As reported yesterday, doctors from the Ministry of Health received the directive to take, from now on, all cases of influenza and potential influenza A (H1N1), with the recommendation to perform chest radiographs for patients with symptoms of fever and fatigue and internal quickly to all suffering from pneumonia.

"Today, it is known that the virus is circulating mass, the attitude we have with patients depends on clinical assessment made by the doctor not to become a serious case. It is not necessary to diagnose laboratory [confirming the new virus infection] to begin treatment, "said Dr. Vilma Savy, Chief of the Respiratory Virus Malbr?n institute.

Concern about how this attack some young flu was confirmed to the nation on a coroner that, in recent hours, conducted two autopsies on two people killed by influenza A.

"The bodies were viscera, meninges and brain swollen, a little common factor in death from influenza. Additionally, the lungs were in bad shape, with some spots we could not identify. The studies sent pathology, "said the coroner who asked not to publicize his name until the health authorities take note of it found.

Changes in strategies for care of patients arriving with flu tables advanced aiming to be more aggressive: treat, then see what happens; leapfrogging. "This form of serious patient care will change the trend and prevent more deaths and pneumonia, said Dr. John, coordinator of the Emergency Committee of the Ministry of Health Epidemiological Aires.

For severe pneumonia, said San Juan, today patients do not receive empirical antibiotics and antiviral drugs but also does not delay the use of mechanical ventilation. "While generally expect 24 hours to see how it evolves, we do not, and if decompensation quickly reach intubation," said San Juan.

The province of Buenos Aires will, from next week, with rapid diagnostic tests that will discriminate in just 15 minutes by means of swabs, if the person is a carrier of influenza A. Anyway, the final confirmation will institute Malbr?n.
    The new test will begin before the treatment, health authorities reported ranches.

Re: Argentina: unusual serious cases in young people

Great find Shiloh! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiloh View Post
      Source: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1144216
      (note: there are 2 graphs with this article...click above to see them)

Lungs to be "burned" in hours
      There is a seriousness of patients' unusual '
      General News: previous | next
      Saturday June 27 2009

"We're seeing the placement of young patients, between 15 and 50 years with pneumonia, some rapidly evolving towards a gravity which for many is unusual, in which the lung is' fire 'in a matter of hours," said Dr. Jorge San Juan, head of the Department of Intensive Care Hospital Mu?iz.

This has led to patients with these characteristics begin to be treated in an increasingly aggressive. THE NATION As reported yesterday, doctors from the Ministry of Health received the directive to take, from now on, all cases of influenza and potential influenza A (H1N1), with the recommendation to perform chest radiographs for patients with symptoms of fever and fatigue and internal quickly to all suffering from pneumonia.

"Today, it is known that the virus is circulating mass, the attitude we have with patients depends on clinical assessment made by the doctor not to become a serious case. It is not necessary to diagnose laboratory [confirming the new virus infection] to begin treatment, "said Dr. Vilma Savy, Chief of the Respiratory Virus Malbr?n institute.

Concern about how this attack some young flu was confirmed to the nation on a coroner that, in recent hours, conducted two autopsies on two people killed by influenza A.

"The bodies were viscera, meninges and brain swollen, a little common factor in death from influenza. Additionally, the lungs were in bad shape, with some spots we could not identify. The studies sent pathology, "said the coroner who asked not to publicize his name until the health authorities take note of it found.

Changes in strategies for care of patients arriving with flu tables advanced aiming to be more aggressive: treat, then see what happens; leapfrogging. "This form of serious patient care will change the trend and prevent more deaths and pneumonia, said Dr. John, coordinator of the Emergency Committee of the Ministry of Health Epidemiological Aires.

For severe pneumonia, said San Juan, today patients do not receive empirical antibiotics and antiviral drugs but also does not delay the use of mechanical ventilation. "While generally expect 24 hours to see how it evolves, we do not, and if decompensation quickly reach intubation," said San Juan.

The province of Buenos Aires will, from next week, with rapid diagnostic tests that will discriminate in just 15 minutes by means of swabs, if the person is a carrier of influenza A. Anyway, the final confirmation will institute Malbr?n. The new test will begin before the treatment, health authorities reported ranches.
      1918 re-run. There are 26 confirmed fatalities with 15 more probables in and around Buenos Aires (as well as the infected pig farm).

Comment

this is very alarming as we are seeing the virus destroying the body. Are we certain that this is the same H1N1?

Comment

Forgive the dumb question, but are these symptoms characteristic of what is referred to as cytokine storm?
          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
            this is very alarming as we are seeing the virus destroying the body. Are we certain that this is the same H1N1?
            It is almost certainly related, but is flu season in the southern hemisphere and influenza knows how to evolve.

Comment

Originally posted by JimO View Post
              Forgive the dumb question, but are these symptoms characteristic of what is referred to as cytokine storm?
              Yes. Internal organs turn to into mush very quickly.

Comment

Satellite map of pig farm

http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/flu/...640625&zoom=14

At the above you have to switch to "satellite" view and zoom in or out.

Comment

#1: " the placement of young patients, between 15 and 50 years with pneumonia"

So the initialy "seasonal like"/mild picked free roaming allowing measures were a wrong move.

50 years (30-50) are not young

They can be young adult ~ 35, but adult or middle aged after.

Comment

Argentina. Video: las distintas caras de la gripe A (H1N1)

<object width="424" height="318">

<embed allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="file=id=10028,46,220" src="http://videos.lanacion.com.ar/player/embed_v4.swf?file=id=10028,46,220" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="424" height="318">
                    </object>

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Posted by Giuseppe Michieli at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://hygimia69.blogspot.com/2009/06/argentina-video-las-distintas-caras-de.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-27T18:24:00+02:00">6/27/2009 06:24:00 PM</abbr> 0 comments
                    Links to this post

Comment

Originally posted by tropical View Post
                      So the initialy "seasonal like"/mild picked free roaming allowing measures were a wrong move.

50 years (30-50) are not young

They can be young adult ~ 35, but adult or middle age after.
                      Hey! I'm pushing 50 and consider myself young.
                      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Here's the OIE report

Comment

Here's Buenos Aires

Comment

Originally posted by JimO View Post
                            Hey! I'm pushing 50 and consider myself young.
                            Yes, confronted to the folks having 90 ...

Those having an biologic "30 year old body" in their 50's are not included ...

Comment

Well, 50 is young compared to the normal high risk age for flu.
                              Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Comment

Working...
                              X