Canned Butter/Cheese & More Discount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Butter/Cheese & More Discount

Fully Prepped In SoCal from Fluwikie has obtained a 21% discount for us at www.MREdepot.com. Coupon code is fluwikie.

I just ordered canned Butter Cheese and Dry Milk

The discount didnt show as such but when i emailed the company they responded immediately - told me it was applied and i would see it on the paper invoice when it arrived.

Re: Canned Butter/Cheese & More Discount

Goju, I ordered and received the butter in September. Before the discount. Oh well.

The butter has a slightly different flavor than most American commercial butter. I like it as it comes close to the organic butter we usually buy. It also has a higher butterfat content than does most American butter. Both dh and I are glad we made the purchase even if wwe didn't get the discount. LOL
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Is that just on milk and butter or can it be on everything?

I also just found out that there is a sale on Ghee at Deep Foods, Inc www.deepsbest.com
      16 oz of Ghee which is clarified butter is on sale for $4.19 for 16 oz and the shipping no matter what size is only $6.00. will Ghee last a long time if left unopened?

Terrie

Originally posted by Goju
      Fully Prepped In SoCal from Fluwikie has obtained a 21% discount for us at www.MREdepot.com. Coupon code is fluwikie.

The discount didnt show as such but when i emailed the company they responded immediately - told me it was applied and i would see it on the paper invoice when it arrived.

Comment

T. it depends on how it is packaged. The butter is canned and will last years. Ghee will last a long time in the fridge but you are in a world of hurt if the power goes out, The Indians keep ghee on a warm burner on the stove all the time. So, instead of cold they use heat for preservation. You must have one of the below to insure preservations.
        Oxygen poor enviornment in conjunction with initial high heat to kill pathogens
        Extreme cold
        Constant heat
        anything else invites nasties to the party.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
        Thank you,
        Shannon Bennett

Comment

I went to a demonstration a couple of months ago where they used a Deni-Jarvac and vacuum sealed butter. The shelf life is supposed to be at least 3 years. This vacuum packing is a great alternative to freezing and canning. I bought a nonelectric/hand vac sealer that works great.

Comment

I think you are talking about if the jar is opened. I was thinking how long will it last unopened. I have never used ghee before. It looks kind of strange in the jar. I shook it up and it looks a bit better but the liquid appears a little bit gritty. I just tasted it. It is not what I expected, it is not exactly like butter that I am use to, but if I add salt to it then it starts to taste what I am accustomed to as butter, yet a bit milder of sorts. Its nice but I don't think I would care for it on toast for breakfast. no matter it is still a bit gritty.

To try to save money, what I was thinking of is to buy some of the butter in the cans for the times I treat myself to bread and butter (which I generally never do) and then use the ghee on things like veggies etc and then for baking that calls for butter I was going to use butter flavor oil so I can max my money on that portion of supplies. Butter flavored oil is much cheaper than the ghee and of course the butter.
            Thoughts anyone?

TM

Originally posted by Shannon
            T. it depends on how it is packaged. The butter is canned and will last years. Ghee will last a long time in the fridge but you are in a world of hurt if the power goes out, The Indians keep ghee on a warm burner on the stove all the time. So, instead of cold they use heat for preservation. You must have one of the below to insure preservations.
            Oxygen poor enviornment in conjunction with initial high heat to kill pathogens
            Extreme cold
            Constant heat
            anything else invites nasties to the party.

Comment

T. that is exactly what it should be used for. Ghee typically is used in sauteeing or seasoning foods. Use it as a luxury food. Something to elevate your spirits.

GJS47, I am concerned about your vacuum packing butter. Odds are you do not have any botulism spores in your butter prior to evacuating the air but, if you do you are going to be either very sick or very dead. In order to make absolutely sure you aren't playing Russian roulette, you must make absolutely certain the butter contains no water. Botulism thrives in environments containing low acid, no oxygen, temperatures above freezing, and a small amount of moisture. I took a course in college in food safety and I have to tell you the chapter on food borne illnesses scared me silly. At the top of the list of horror stories was botulism. I don't think there is a way to add acid to your butter to ensure safety and still keep the taste you want. I would go back to the seller or the manufacturer of your vacuum machine and ask for some verifiable data ensuring safety. If you get this information please share it with the rest of us as this would be a terrific way of expanding our preps.

Thank you,
              Shannon Bennett

Comment

how long I wonder will Ghee last in an Non opened jar? Two years woudl be great.

Also perhaps if I took the food safety course that yo took in college I wouldn't need to watch my hips now.
                Terrie

Comment

T. it will probably last a year in normal temps. Fats usually last somewhere between 6 months and one year. Yours has all of the water removed and I am going to assume you keep it in a cool place. I would not let it go longer than that however without checking it for rancidity. After one year regardless of temps ( unless you keep it in the freezer) it will start to degrade. Rancid fat will also make you a very sick puppy. But then your body already knows this and the smell will keep you from eating the product.

BTW, you too might contact the manufacturer and ask about longevity.

The canned butter is supposed to last for three years so I may be wrong in your ghee case. Is it vacuum packed?

Thank you,
                  Shannon Bennett

Comment

It says sealed for yoru protection. When I opened the jar it was very esy to open the seal.

Comment

Not vacuum sealed then. Back to square one. Phone or write the manufacturer and ask.

Thank you,
                      Shannon Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by gjs47
                        This vacuum packing is a great alternative to freezing and canning. I bought a nonelectric/hand vac sealer that works great.
                        I had not heard of a hand vac sealer before, only electric versions and homemade manual ones. What is the manufacturer of your sealer?

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
                          Rancid fat will also make you a very sick puppy. But then your body already knows this and the smell will keep you from eating the product.
                          I thought my grandmother used soured milk (left too long out of the frig) in her cooking to make cookies/biscuits etc. (No, she didn't die an early death! ) I am unsure whether she ever used rancid butter as well. Would rancid butter still cause illness if it were used in cooking (ie heated to 100C)? Should it always be discarded?

Comment

Pump N Seal

manufacturers page, I didnt check for pricing elsewhere, might want to do a quick check to see if its cheaper elsewhere

Pump-N-Seal® is the world’s fastest, most powerful, most versatile food vacuum sealing system that can seal almost any type of container!
                            Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                            Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                            Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                            Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                            Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                            To weave it into fabric..
                            Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                            All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

how long will this discount be good for?
                              TM

Originally posted by Goju

Comment

Working...
                              X