• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Deaths Reported in FL - Total 64

Source: http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/53725867.html

Posted: 4:52 PM Aug 19, 2009

Department of Health Swine Flu Update

Additional laboratory confirmed H1N1 Swine Flu deaths have been verified in that of the following: a 61-year-old male in Alachua County, a 19-year-old female in Brevard County, a 31-year-old female in Clay County, an 84-year-old female in Miami-Dade County, a 33-year-old female in Duval County, a 43-year-old female in Duval County, a 46-year-old male in Hillsborough County, a 57-year-old female in Lee County, a 12-year-old female in Palm Beach County, a 54-year-old female in Taylor County, and a 50-year-old male in Volusia County. While most cases of H1N1 Swine Flu are mild, there are exceptions. Pre-existing health conditions often play a role in how individuals react to the flu. To-date, there have been 59 laboratory confirmed H1N1 Swine Flu deaths in Florida.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to the family and friends of these individuals, " said Surgeon General Dr. Ana Viamonte Ros. " H1N1 Swine Flu, like seasonal flu, can in some circumstances be very serious, therefore, all of us should continue to adhere to good health practices including, stay home if sick, cover cough and sneeze, and wash hands frequently."

All four Department of Health laboratories have received testing supplies from the Center for Diseases Control and can test samples to confirm H1N1 Swine Flu. This testing capability allows the Department to expedite results as we no longer need to send probable cases to CDC laboratories.

The Department of Health continues enhanced surveillance and outreach to physicians, hospitals and other health care professionals. The surveillance system, consisting of sentinel physicians, reports influenza activity and DOH laboratories receiving specimens from physicians and hospitals. We have activated our response plan and are ready to respond if needed.
    Last edited by JimO; August 19, 2009, 05:45 PM. Reason: Update Numbers
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X