Polk, Pinellas swine flu deaths reported as Tampa school deals with outbreak
By MICHELLE BEARDEN | The Tampa Tribune
and MARY SHEDDEN | The Tampa Tribune
Published: August 26, 2009
TAMPA - A 50-year-old woman and a 34-year-old man became Pinellas and Polk counties' second swine flu deaths as a Hillsborough County private school deals with a spike in absences attributed to the virus.
Both of those who died had other health problems, as have the six Hillsborough County residents reported killed by H1N1.
Details such as where the woman lived, what her other health problems were, and when she died were not available, according to Maggie Hall of the Pinellas Health Department.
The man died today, reported Daniel Haight of the Polk Health Department.
"These deaths highlight the seriousness of influenza, especially in those with an underlying medical condition," he wrote in a press release. ""It is very important that a person with mild flu not expose those at higher risk."
That's what students at Tampa Catholic High School appear to be doing. Twenty percent of the 700 students are absent, many with suspected swine flu, their principal reported.
The outbreak has led to the cancellation of junior varsity football practice the past two days.
"We've told people to stay home if they feel like they have anything," said Prinicipal Tom Reidy said. "I'm happy our kids and parents are listening to that."
The increase in cases was not unexpected. Young people are especially susceptible to swine flu and on school campuses, the highly contagious virus can spread quickly. Hillsborough County Health Department Director Doug Holt predicted it would take two weeks for influenza to invade a campus once classes started; that's how long Tampa Catholic students have been back at school.
Holt said he eventually expects absences of at least 30 percent in public schools, where classes began this week.
Hillsborough Health Department spokesman Steve Huard said he's heard of no other private schools experiencing high numbers of flu cases.
While it is extremely contagious, swine flu is usually mild and lasts just a few days.
Reidy said Tampa Catholic was relatively flu-free until late last week. Similar to the seasonal flu, swine flu symptoms include a fever, cough, sore throat, and aches and pains. Parents are encouraged to keep children home at least 24 hours after they no longer have any symptoms.
He said there has been no panic among parents, who have been "fantastic."
"I've spent the morning returning multiple calls of concern, but no one is overreacting," he said. "They're doing exactly what they're supposed to do."
The Catholic Diocese of St. Petersburg put a plan in place years ago to deals with pandemics within the schools. That includes keeping children with symptoms at home and daily reports by school staff on all sicknesses, so any patterns can be tracked.
"The key thing for parents is if a child appears sick, keep him or her at home. That way you're protecting everyone," said Frank Murphy, diocesan spokesman.
Tampa Catholic football coach Bob Henriquez said eight to 10 of his varsity players are out with flu symptoms. It's so rampant on the junior varsity squad, his staff canceled practice for that group the past two days.
The Crusaders' varsity football squad, a contender for the Class 2B title this season, is slated to play Naples' Lely High on Friday night in Naples. For now, the game is still on.
Huard said students playing sports are more likely to get infected than others. The best way to prevent swine flu is to avoid close contact with others, wash hands frequently and use other basic hygiene measures. Hillsborough public school coaches are trying to limit unnecessary contact. For example, players' mouths do not touch communal hoses or water bottles.
Football practices at public high schools started Aug. 10. Hillsborough County Athletic Director Lannes Robinson said he knows of no significant absences involving public school football teams.
Schools spokesman Steve Hegerty said attendance at Hillsborough schools is traditionally low for the first few days of classes. The district is girded for the expected increase in flu cases, he said.
Reporters Bill Ward and Katherine Smith contributed to this report.
By MICHELLE BEARDEN | The Tampa Tribune
and MARY SHEDDEN | The Tampa Tribune
Published: August 26, 2009
TAMPA - A 50-year-old woman and a 34-year-old man became Pinellas and Polk counties' second swine flu deaths as a Hillsborough County private school deals with a spike in absences attributed to the virus.
Both of those who died had other health problems, as have the six Hillsborough County residents reported killed by H1N1.
Details such as where the woman lived, what her other health problems were, and when she died were not available, according to Maggie Hall of the Pinellas Health Department.
The man died today, reported Daniel Haight of the Polk Health Department.
"These deaths highlight the seriousness of influenza, especially in those with an underlying medical condition," he wrote in a press release. ""It is very important that a person with mild flu not expose those at higher risk."
That's what students at Tampa Catholic High School appear to be doing. Twenty percent of the 700 students are absent, many with suspected swine flu, their principal reported.
The outbreak has led to the cancellation of junior varsity football practice the past two days.
"We've told people to stay home if they feel like they have anything," said Prinicipal Tom Reidy said. "I'm happy our kids and parents are listening to that."
The increase in cases was not unexpected. Young people are especially susceptible to swine flu and on school campuses, the highly contagious virus can spread quickly. Hillsborough County Health Department Director Doug Holt predicted it would take two weeks for influenza to invade a campus once classes started; that's how long Tampa Catholic students have been back at school.
Holt said he eventually expects absences of at least 30 percent in public schools, where classes began this week.
Hillsborough Health Department spokesman Steve Huard said he's heard of no other private schools experiencing high numbers of flu cases.
While it is extremely contagious, swine flu is usually mild and lasts just a few days.
Reidy said Tampa Catholic was relatively flu-free until late last week. Similar to the seasonal flu, swine flu symptoms include a fever, cough, sore throat, and aches and pains. Parents are encouraged to keep children home at least 24 hours after they no longer have any symptoms.
He said there has been no panic among parents, who have been "fantastic."
"I've spent the morning returning multiple calls of concern, but no one is overreacting," he said. "They're doing exactly what they're supposed to do."
The Catholic Diocese of St. Petersburg put a plan in place years ago to deals with pandemics within the schools. That includes keeping children with symptoms at home and daily reports by school staff on all sicknesses, so any patterns can be tracked.
"The key thing for parents is if a child appears sick, keep him or her at home. That way you're protecting everyone," said Frank Murphy, diocesan spokesman.
Tampa Catholic football coach Bob Henriquez said eight to 10 of his varsity players are out with flu symptoms. It's so rampant on the junior varsity squad, his staff canceled practice for that group the past two days.
The Crusaders' varsity football squad, a contender for the Class 2B title this season, is slated to play Naples' Lely High on Friday night in Naples. For now, the game is still on.
Huard said students playing sports are more likely to get infected than others. The best way to prevent swine flu is to avoid close contact with others, wash hands frequently and use other basic hygiene measures. Hillsborough public school coaches are trying to limit unnecessary contact. For example, players' mouths do not touch communal hoses or water bottles.
Football practices at public high schools started Aug. 10. Hillsborough County Athletic Director Lannes Robinson said he knows of no significant absences involving public school football teams.
Schools spokesman Steve Hegerty said attendance at Hillsborough schools is traditionally low for the first few days of classes. The district is girded for the expected increase in flu cases, he said.
Reporters Bill Ward and Katherine Smith contributed to this report.