Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palm Beach County Reports 6th Death

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Palm Beach County Reports 6th Death

    Source: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...0fludeath.html

    Woman, 33, becomes sixth swine flu victim in Palm Beach County

    By STACEY SINGER
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009


    A 33-year-old woman has become Palm Beach County's sixth swine flu-related death.

    The Palm Beach County Health Department announced the death today but provided no other details, such as whether the woman had complicating health conditions.

    The pandemic flu strain appears to be making a resurgence locally now that school has resumed, after a brief late August respite.

    Statewide lab tests are showing that the vast majority of flu striking Floridians right now is, in fact, the new flu strain, as opposed to other seasonal flu strains. Since there is not yet a vaccine against the novel H1N1 swine flu strain, people can best protect themselves by staying home when sick, avoiding close contact with sick people, avoiding touching eyes, nose and mouth, and washing hands frequently.

    Although there have been localized outbreaks at some schools and workplaces, health officials said they're not recommending closures. Instead, sick people should be isolated from others and sent home.

    There have been 593 confirmed swine flu-related deaths nationwide, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Sept. 3.

    Florida had 70 deaths as of the end of August. Updated numbers will be released soon, a health department spokeswoman said.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

  • #2
    Re: Palm Beach County Reports 6th Death



    Sharp increase in swine flu cases come as woman, 33, becomes sixth to die in Palm Beach County
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

    By STACEY SINGER

    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

    Wednesday, September 09, 2009

    Florida health officials are reporting a sharp increase in flu cases coinciding with the start of school, as Palm Beach County announced its sixth swine flu-related death on Wednesday, of a 33-year-old woman.

    In a report issued last week, the Florida Department of Health said the number of new swine flu cases has surged as college students and school children returned to the classroom.

    Whether the gauge was emergency room complaints, sentinel physician reports, or lab specimens tested, the amount of pandemic flu seen statewide now exceeds some years' wintertime flu peaks, the state said.

    Tampa Bay-St. Petersburg, Orlando and Jacksonville are among the hardest hit areas right now, while Palm Beach County is seeing localized flu activity, state reports show.

    more.............

    Comment

    Working...
    X