Texas Surveillance Reports 3 Pediatric Deaths - Week 37- News reports 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Surveillance Reports 3 Pediatric Deaths - Week 37- News reports 18

The Week 37 Surveillance Report for Texas shows 3 pediatric deaths for the week ending 9/19/09. In addition, there is a media report of a 14-yo male who died on 9/13/09, which might not have been confirmed in time for the report.

This brings the reported total deaths in Texas to 47.

Source: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis...CurrentFlu.pdf

Influenza-Associated Pediatric Mortality

Three influenza-associated pediatric deaths occurred during week 37. All three children had confirmed novel influenza A (H1N1) by PCR testing. The first death occurred in an 11-year-old resident of HSR 2/3. The child had no underlying medical conditions; however, the child?s blood culture was positive for methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) during the influenza illness. The second death occurred in a 3-year-old resident of HSR 2/3 with multiple significant underlying medical conditions. The third death occurred in a 25-day-old resident of HSR 6/5S with a significant underlying medical condition. Texas has reported 18 influenza-associated pediatric fatalities during the 2008?09 influenza season.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: Texas Surveillance Reports 3 Pediatric Deaths - Week 37

Swine flu: What to watch for

05:43 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

KENS 5 Staff

Right now thousands of kids across the state area out of school with the swine flu.

Doctors say the virus is relatively mild, but the Texas Health Department confirmed 18 pediatric deaths so far this year.
    Also Online

Metro Health: Swine Flu

CDC: Swine Flu

That has many parents asking what to do if their healthy child gets sick.

"If a child is having difficulty breathing, that does need an emergency department visit. If the fever keeps getting worse, even with Tylenol, it's something to consider going to the emergency department," said Dallas County Health Director John Carlo.

You should also take a flu patient to the hospital if you notice fast breathing, gray skin color or severe vomiting.

But it is important to remember that 99.7 percent of people who get swine flu recover.

Official site still shows only 3 paediatric deaths:http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis...CurrentFlu.pdf
    "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Working...
    X