Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

SNIPPED QUOTE :[I was also trying to determine if Tamifllu was like an antibiiotic in that one should take all of it in order to not build up resistance (I was worried about it).

To my SURPRISE, the doctor wrote a script for my daughter and - get this - she wrote it for 7 pills! 7! And that is how the pharmacy filled it - in a little zip lock bag! You could tell he had just taken the foil package of 10 and torn 3 off (the rest were still *connected*)....I guess she (the doctor) figured I still had 3 at home and that was all I was gonna get!

I had another zip lock bag incident this spring when I had the flu - the pharmacist only gave me 8 pills because he said that's all they had left. Worked though, so not complaining but still...this seems...wrong. END OF SNIP

IT"S VERY WRONG! This is exactly what leads to resistance. Prescribe the entire course, take the entire course.
    There should be a law(s) regarding this practice, I had a pharmacy half fill a prescription once (I had sudden complication of pneumonia on a weekend evening and this pharmacy was only one open) and then I could not get the other half filled by any other pharmacy later , or even by the same pharmacy when they received more stock because "it is against the law, once any part of a prescription is filled, that ends that prescription use", So, triple beware!

Comment

This is such a basic question and has profound implications for people who are at risk.
      It makes my heart ache to witness the unfolding of this pandemic - the uncertainty of not knowing if your loved one does or doesn't have ******, not knowing if your loved one can get a prescription for Tamiflu in time, and most horrible of all, knowing there is a small random chance of death.
      My daughter is 5 months pregnant in the Denver area. During my two week visit with her I accompanied her to her doctor appointment. There was no signage about the flu. She leaned with both elbows on the reception counter. She knows about it, because she works in HR at the U of Denver, and she says that her department will be tracking employee illness so that is good she will have a heads up. But it is so HARD to remember how a virus can be (almost) anywhere. One supermarket has wipes near the carts, another doesn't. We talked about the flu, we bought some alcohol sanitizer for her pocketbook and for the car. She knows she is at risk, and her husband knows that too. The last night I was there he asked what should he do if he got sick, and I said move to another bed and stay away from her. The next morning he was sleeping in the baby's room and it turns out he had woken up with a sore throat. I also had laid awake with a tickle in my throat and that dull feeling in ones chest before onset on illness. Turns out her also. She called me to tell me he had tried to go to work but had to come home sick, with congestion, cough, fever, headache. He moved to the family room and she picked up cleaning supplies on the way home and changed the sheets and cleaned and cleaned. He was told he couldn't be seen until two days later despite being with an at risk wife. So he went to the emergency room with a mask and was able to get relenza. He was very sick for two to three days and then recovered. My daughter by chance had an appointment at the new hospital obstetrics the next afternoon and she was given Tamiflu. She had the same tickle in throat I had had, but seemed like she fought it off. Also that first evening of his fever, they both gargled with a garlic/lemon/cayenne brew. I felt slightly headachy and dull but thought I fought it off (two weeks ago). An employee of ours showed up with the flu two days after I got back and we sent her home. She did not go to a doctor and got terribly sick, out of work ten days and now has pneumonia (she finally went). So yesterday when I began feeling tired and dull and fighting something in my mouth and throat (I went to bed and took vit C and ginger tea) I wonder is it back the same one or is this a new one from my employee? My husband and I in twelve years have maybe had the flu once each? We haven't gotten the shots ever. We are in our midfifties.

I would have liked to believe that my daughter was exposed, fought it off, the risk is over for her. I am not worried so much for myself and my husband, but I take it so seriously, because you never know with this one, it is a killer, which is why I went to bed, otherwise I might have worked through it. It seems as if one can get this over and over in different ways, and although Tropical was joking about the human, swine, or bird parts kicking in more or less, maybe the novel form is unusual enough to do just that. After all, unlike common flu this virus often has no fever, does show gastrointestinal symptoms, the cramping, the rashes, it is different. And it is scary stuff.

I was grateful, that I knew enough to guide my daughter and son-in-law to act determined and fast to get the tamiflu and relenza, to fill the prescriptions despite the expense (!), to take the virus seriously and clean and stay apart, everything I know I've learned from the internet, this site and others, and I am so grateful.

If my daughter carries to term (and she will and she and her little daughter to be will be okay, just 3 1/2 more months) if we negotiate this time safely and have better cleaning habits and caring for ourselves knowledge, this site and others deserve the praise and the thanks. So Thank You - all of you.

But back to the thread - sigh it does seem like you cannot let your guard down with this flu. For myself, I will assume every respiratory symptom I get from now to next summer might be this ****** flu, and not to think that I already 'had it' and now can relax and not worry. Same for my pregnant daughter. Maybe she fought it off, but now I think maybe she can get it again, and again. So each time, take it as seriously as if life can depend on it.

Comment

many more people are reporting on the web that they got it twice

is this different than with seaonal flu ?
        I didn't hear it from Australia or New York earlier.

It should be easy to measure but I don't remember that
        I ever saw a study
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

There are many viruses (other than influenza) that cause respiratory tract infections accompanied by general malaise and this clinical picture may be difficult to distinguish from Influenza. Today, in Ontario, it was announced that it appears the second wave of H1N1 has arrived with an increase in positive nasal cultures reaching 14% of those tested. That means that over 85% of people who are ill have not grown influenza virus. So, unless there is a positive culture, the infection is more than likely not H1N1.

Comment

So, if I am vigilant, how many times do I stay home from work or keep my kids home from school? We might be indisposed all fall and winter...maybe even spring.

Comment

Originally posted by North44 View Post
              So, unless there is a positive culture, the infection is more than likely not H1N1.
              Maybe, maybe not....there are several on this board and in our lives that have tested positive twice...which is odd...

Also, I am not sure I agree with the "unless positive culture, the infection is more than likely not H1N1"...

Why? First, the rapid flu test doesn't exactly have a great sensitivity rate.....there are probably plenty of type A positives that aren't being caught by the rapid test at the local doctor's office and...

Secondly...Because it's not "time" for those other viruses either. Right now, H1N1 is the main game in town...and September/October isn't really a peak for other viruses is it? Maybe I have a misconception and am wrong...It happens quite frequently, lol!

Comment

Oh, CDC just answered my question:
                "If you are sick, stay home from work and school. If you?re sick, stay home except to get medical care or other necessities until at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever (100 degrees Fahrenheit or 38.7 degrees Celsius) or have signs of a fever (have chills, feel very warm, have a flushed appearance, or are sweating)."

So, I don't have a fever and I'll go to work...even though I'm coughing, have a sore throat and ache all over. I think I may even attend that office party.

Comment

I think there have been quite a few cases reported where victims repeatedly tested negative it was finally determined to be H1N1 after their death.
                  "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                  "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Missouriwatcher View Post
                    Oh, CDC just answered my question:
                    "If you are sick, stay home from work and school. If you?re sick, stay home except to get medical care or other necessities until at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever (100 degrees Fahrenheit or 38.7 degrees Celsius) or have signs of a fever (have chills, feel very warm, have a flushed appearance, or are sweating)."

So, I don't have a fever and I'll go to work...even though I'm coughing, have a sore throat and ache all over. I think I may even attend that office party.
                    http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/federalwo...ventspread.htm
                    If you are coughing, I'm wearing a mask!! That's what I tell my fellow nurses, anyway.
                    Seriously, take care of yourself a little longer if you still ache all over and have a sore throat. You still sound sick to me.

Your co-workers might thank you. I would.

Get better soon!

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract View Post
                      Maybe, maybe not....there are several on this board and in our lives that have tested positive twice...which is odd...

Also, I am not sure I agree with the "unless positive culture, the infection is more than likely not H1N1"...

Why? First, the rapid flu test doesn't exactly have a great sensitivity rate.....there are probably plenty of type A positives that aren't being caught by the rapid test at the local doctor's office and...

Secondly...Because it's not "time" for those other viruses either. Right now, H1N1 is the main game in town...and September/October isn't really a peak for other viruses is it? Maybe I have a misconception and am wrong...It happens quite frequently, lol!
                      tesseract,
                      First: I am not referring to the rapid test in doctors' offices. In Ontario, we don't generally do cultures in the community. What I am referring to are cultures taken from hospitalized or institutionalized patients and sent to the provincial lab for proper culture.

Second: There are always some respiratory viruses around, although they are certainly more prevalent during the school year (starting September) when kids are crowded together. At the moment, both seem to be active. When H1N1 ramps up, the percentage of respiratory infections will move more towards H1N1.

Comment

Thanks for your concern, but I'm not sick. My point is that the CDC is still touting fever as the reason to stay home. How many parents, workers or employers reading this Oct. 1st CDC memo would then say "Business as usual unless there is a fever"? Then, if one contracts **** more than once and continues to stay home, what will happen to your job, your bills or your kids grades? No one can accurately get tested unless hospitalized, so one can only assume EVERYTHING IS SWINE, when perhaps nothing is and only the common cold.

Comment

is there a reason , why we have no serology data from
                          New York ? (other than political)

or reports/statistics about people who got it twice

questionnaire:
                          1) ILI once since May ?
                          2) ILI twice since May ?
                          3) more than twice ?
                          4) vax in 1976 ?
                          5) seasonal vax ?

very easy, and bias towards over-reporting
                          is equally present for 1) and 2) , so cancels out
                          when we compare them and try to estimate
                          the protection-factor

someone please do it in her company, her school.
                          And publish it
                          And beat all these researchers who won't tell us !

Comment

one grassroot reason wide:

never before temp/semi-flu-like illnessed during north hemisphere summer, in a whole lifetime

was it pandemic flu?

no tests ...

Comment

tropical said:
                              never before temp/semi-flu-like illnessed during north hemisphere summer, in a whole lifetime
                              Great point tropical. I rarely feel ill during the summer months outside of the odd migraine, sinus or allergy stuff.
                              I've only skipped one seasonal flu vax in well over 15 years and that was in 2007.
                              I've had 2 pneumonia jabs and was sick 4 times this summer with something that felt like flu.

May have been something else, but it's odd.
                              Hubby rarely even has a headache and he was sick 3 times this summer.

I'm just grateful that we were not seriously ill and pray that whatever it is doesn't become more virulent.
                              "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                              "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

when Tamiflu works, then it should be flu-A

Comment

Working...
                                X