Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1N1 death in Middlesex County

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • H1N1 death in Middlesex County

    H1N1 death in Middlesex County

    By MassDPH
    Fri Oct 02, 2009, 01:11 PM EDT

    Boston, Mass. - The Mass. Department of Public Health (DPH) today announced the death of a 55 year-old female from Middlesex County related to H1N1. The patient had multiple underlying health conditions.

    ?It is with great sadness that we have learned of the first death of a Massachusetts resident within the state related to H1N1 flu this fall. We extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of this individual,? said DPH Commissioner John Auerbach. ?While most cases of H1N1 in Massachusetts and across the nation have been relatively mild, this news demonstrates once again how serious flu can be.?

    Certain groups of people are at higher risk of complications for the H1N1 flu. These groups include: children and young adults up to the age of 24, pregnant women and people with chronic underlying health conditions, such as asthma, diabetes and heart disease. These people should call their doctor immediately to discuss appropriate treatment if they develop a fever with a cough, sore throat or runny nose.

    Precautions to help stop the spread of flu include:

    ? Get vaccinated against both H1N1 and seasonal flu.

    ? Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

    ? Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue, or cough/sneeze into your inner elbow and not into your hands.

    ? If you are sick, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever goes away. This means no fever for at least 24 hours after you have stopped taking any fever-reducing medication.

    Stay informed about the latest developments on the H1N1 flu, by visiting www.mass.gov/flu.



  • #2
    Re: H1N1 death in Middlesex County

    Source: http://www.boston.com/news/health/bl...sex_woman.html

    Middlesex woman is state's 12th swine flu death
    E-mail|Link|Comments (0) Posted by Gideon Gil October 2, 2009 01:27 PM

    By Stephen Smith, Globe Staff

    A 55-year-old Middlesex County woman with underlying health problems died yesterday from swine flu, the 12th person in the state to succumb to the viral illness, state health authorities reported this afternoon.

    The woman's identity was not disclosed because of patient confidentiality laws, but the Department of Public Health said in a statement that she "had multiple underlying health conditions." People with chronic health conditions such as asthma, heart disease, and diabetes are known to be at higher risk of complications and death from the H1N1 virus.

    A small supply of vaccine against swine flu is expected to arrive in Massachusetts no later than Oct. 12, although health authorities earlier this week warned that large vaccination campaigns probably won't start until middle or late November.

    Comment

    Working...
    X