Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second DE H1N1 death- 15 yr. old-Confirmed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Second DE H1N1 death- 15 yr. old-Confirmed

    Source: http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=551831976270

    Second DE H1N1 death?
    By Frank Gerace

    The state Division of Public Health is looking into whether the death of a 15-year-old boy was caused by H-1-N-1 flu.

    DPH says the New Castle County teen had a number of unspecified underlying conditions and went to his doctor Monday.

    Tests for seasonal flu and strep were negative, but a post-mortem test for H-1-N-1 was positive.

    A 35-year-old Kent County woman died from H-1-N-1 flu Thursday morning.

  • #2
    Re: Second DE H1N1 death

    Source: http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...ne-flu-related

    Health agency: Del. teen's death swine-flu-related

    By ESTEBAN PARRA ? The News Journal ? October 23, 2009

    Delaware's Division of Public Health said today it is looking into the death of a 15-year-old boy to see if he died of complications related to swine flu.

    The boy, who had a number of underlying health conditions, went to his doctor on Oct. 19 and was later transported to a Delaware hospital, where initial testing for strep infection was positive and influenza was negative. Post-mortem test results today were positive for H1N1 influenza, and the death will be reported to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as H1N1-related since flu was present.


    ?I want to extend my sympathies to the family and friends of the boy,? said Dr. Karyl Rattay, division director. ?DPH is still exploring the role the H1N1 virus had in this case, since there were multiple other existing medical conditions.?

    News of the boy?s death comes a day after the division announced that a 35-year-old Kent County woman was the first person to die of complications related to swine flu. Division officials said the boy?s cause of death was not identified until today.

    The two deaths occurred as concern increases that most of the swine flu vaccine produced by the nation?s largest supplier of the medicine will not reach the U.S. until the first quarter of 2010, near the end of the flu season.

    Switzerland-based Novartis AG is the biggest U.S. supplier of the new vaccine, and U.S. health officials have reported the country?s overall supply will reach 28 million doses by the end of the month after previously projecting 40 million to 50 million by mid-October. H1N1 is widespread in 41 states, has hospitalized more than 5,000 and has caused the deaths of 292 people since Sept. 1, 90 percent of whom were younger than 65, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Oct. 20.

    Dr. Ciro V. Sumaya, a professor at the Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Rural Public Health and a member of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention?s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, was quoted in HealthDay news service that glitches can -- and apparently did -- occur at several points in the process of developing a vaccine, especially for a virus that was first identified in April.

    (2 of 2)

    In explaining the vaccine delay, Sumaya said that, first, the H1N1 virus did not grow as quickly as expected during a half-century-old -- and often-criticized -- egg-based production technique.

    Second, he said, ?because there was kind of a rush to get things done, there were some packaging areas that they [federal officials] had thought wouldn't take long, yet they did.?

    ?Even in the distribution, to find certain target groups so it reaches them first, we have to have a sense of what is going on across the country, which is a dynamic situation,? he said.

    Then there are the twin demands facing vaccine manufacturers to produce two different vaccines at the same time -- one for swine flu and one for seasonal flu.

    In the first reported death, the woman had a number of underlying health conditions and was hospitalized in Delaware on Oct. 12. She was then transferred to a Maryland hospital, where she died.

    Delaware health officials said her underlying medical issues put her in greater danger than others who contract swine flu.

    Delaware has reported 540 confirmed cases of swine flu since Oct. 4. Of those, 191 were confirmed last week. (These figures are expected to increase as more doctors report results from medical examinations.)

    Of the 540 cases already reported, 15 were severe enough for the person to be hospitalized. Fourteen recovered and have been discharged.


    Contact Esteban Parra at 324-2299 or eparra@delawareonline.com.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Second DE H1N1 death- 15 yr. old-Confirmed

      Source: http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=11376504

      Another H1N1 Death in Delaware

      Posted: Oct 24, 2009 05:38 AM

      Updated: Oct 27, 2009 09:01 AM


      DOVER, Del. (AP)- State officials say the death of a 15-year-old New Castle County boy this week was related to H1N1 flu.

      Officials said Friday that the boy, who had a number of underlying health conditions, went to his doctor on Oct. 19 and was later taken to a hospital, where initial testing was positive for strep infection but negative for influenza.

      But post-mortem test results received Friday were positive for H1N1 flu. The death of a 35-year old Kent County woman on Thursday also was blamed on H1N1 flu.

      Comment

      Working...
      X