Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Reactors Thread

2009-11-28

Vaccine Failure Confirmed in New York Times by UK National Institute for Medical Research

Updates reflected on the characterisation sheets from the Ukraine indicate antigenic testing against one of the samples. Of note was the LvivN6 sample from a fatal case with 225G being reported as exhibiting clear vaccine escape signals with a <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11270902/D225G_Evade.html">low reactor</a> status update on the antigenicity profile. That type of information is important news to the world. We would have expected a news conference or a press release prior to the status update as confirmation of the database detail, but no public health notice of that type has occurred.

Today, Donald McNeil of the New York Times is reporting that Britain's NIMR, National Institute for Medical Research, has corroborated the status update of "low reactor" as follows:

"One isolate from Ukraine with the mutation had changed so that swine flu vaccine probably would not protect against it well, Britain?s national medical laboratory reported Friday."

Dr. Henry Niman of Recombinomics is concerned that <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11280901/WHO_D225G_Vac.html">differing opinions have been offered</a> to the public concerning the importance of the D225G polymorphism. We share that concern about the lack of consistent reporting. Moreover, a clear finding is required on antigenicity of the remaining Ukraine sequences with a focus on the remaining three 225G samples. The sequence of interest, LvivN6, is among the least variant of the 4 fatal cases at the HA and shares HA homology with TernopilN11. At the NA, the LvivN6 single SNP impeaches the Neuraminidase segment as an antigen differentiator for this group of sequences due to homology with the remaining three 225G samples.

We would expect a similar finding of "low reactor" on 4 of these sequences if the least variant at NA and HA, LvivN6, showed reduced reaction. If NIMR has, in fact, officially confirmed this vaccine escape event via the New York Times, their lab books may have notations for 3 other 225G Ukraine sequences in the antisera reactivity panels.

Antigenic diversity, whether due to viral response to human immunity, anti-viral selection pressure or vaccine pressure, is a certainty. Additional reporting of data that may be on hand would easily clear this issue as to the exact nature of the diversity in circulation today within ΣPF11.

Twenty-six sequences are on record from several temporal and geographic points in the pandemic carrying paired HA and NA cross-segment linkages to these Ukraine fatal cases, including the item, LvivN6, reported and validated as a "low reactor" to the current pandemic vaccine. Those sequences are seeded throughout major population areas of the world. Forthright communications on these vaccine escape events is crucial to earning public trust in this ongoing health issue.
    Last edited by AlaskaDenise; November 29, 2009, 09:46 PM. Reason: Florida1: types per NS1 by email, AlaskaDenise: edit commercial links

Re: Vaccine Failure Confirmed in New York Times by UK National Institute for Medical Research

reported by Don McNeil -

"...One isolate from Ukraine with the mutation had changed so that swine flu vaccine probably would not protect against it well, Britain?s national medical laboratory reported Friday..."

Comment

Re: Vaccine Failure Confirmed in New York Times by UK National Institute for Medical Research

I have an email into Don to verify his source at the medical laboratory.

Comment

Experts Say Swine Flu Mutations Do Not Warrant New Alarm

By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.

Published: November 27, 2009

The World Health Organization tried this week to dampen fears about mutations seen in the swine flu virus in several countries, noting that both mutations had been found in very few people.

A change that created Tamiflu resistance has been found in about 75 people around the world, said Dr. Keiji Fukuda, chief flu adviser to the W.H.O.?s director general. Two clusters, in cancer units at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina and a hospital in Wales, were both among patients whose immune systems had been severely suppressed by cancer treatment; some had had their bone marrow, which produces infection-fighting white blood cells, wiped out so that replacement blood stem cells could be injected.

Such patients are more likely to develop resistant viruses when on Tamiflu because they can not clear a virus on their own. But the mutant strain appears not to spread easily in people with normal immunity, like hospital workers.

?We don?t know the full answer, but it is more likely that we are not seeing a major shift,? Dr. Fukuda said.

Widespread Tamiflu resistance is a serious problem in the seasonal H1N1 virus, but it has not crossed over into the swine H1N1.

Dr. Fukuda also said W.H.O. scientists were ?not sure? of the level of threat posed by a separate mutation that helps the virus reach the lungs. It has been found in Norway, Ukraine, Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico and the United States, in both serious and mild cases.

Experts still need to see whether the mutation ? whose shorthand name in virology is D222G or D225G ? is becoming more common, and how often it leads to severe disease, he said.

One isolate from Ukraine with the mutation had changed so that swine flu vaccine probably would not protect against it well, Britain?s national medical laboratory reported Friday.

Flus mutate so fast, Dr. Fukuda cautioned, that announcing each change is ?like reporting changes in the weather.?

More than 100 million swine flu shots have been administered in 40 countries, and the side effects are similar to or lower than those from regular flu shots, he added.

Six cases of anaphylaxis were widely reported in Canada when it was found that all were from one batch of vaccine, which was recalled. Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction, usually to egg protein, that can range from mild hives to fatal airway swelling. All six patients recovered, and Dr. Fukuda pointed out that there were 172,000 doses in the batch, most of which caused no problems, so it was unclear whether the cause was a bad batch or just a coincidence.

?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
        Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Comment

That was his article of yesterday after the WHO conference, but this morning it seems that he got into NHenry's boat I still try to get some confirmation at
          UK

? National Institute for Medical Research

at

Tel: +44 (0)20 8959 3666

But this is saturday

Comment

I have looked true the whole The National Institute for Medical Research of UK and I did not find nothing about this, nothing.

Maybe someone else could double check

Thanks

Comment

We are pursuing the truth of this issue.

Comment

I certainly hope the reporter is mistaken. I don't even want to think about the possibility of a variant circulating so soon to which the vaccine offers limited protection.
                "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

I am sure Don will get back to me. We are a source for him. Scroll down to the "Navigator" section of his New York Times page:

Donald G. McNeil Jr. is a science reporter covering epidemics and diseases of the world&#8217;s poor. He joined The Times in 1976, has reported from 60 countries and is a winner of the John Chancellor Award.

Comment

Originally posted by JimO View Post
                    I certainly hope the reporter is mistaken. I don't even want to think about the possibility of a variant circulating so soon to which the vaccine offers limited protection.
                    My children are vaccinated and I would like to know what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by JimO View Post
                      Especially when you combine the news with the French fatality with both D225G and H274Y. A Tamiiflu resistant strain that at least partially escapes the vaccine and prior exposure immunity would not be good news.

The US CDC has reported two "reduced titers" samples but no further details have been given. Presumably the CDC has the sequences but chooses not to release them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogweed View Post
                        Especially when you combine the news with the French fatality with both D225G and H274Y. A Tamiiflu resistant strain that at least partially escapes the vaccine and prior exposure immunity would not be good news.

The US CDC has reported two "reduced titers" samples but no further details have been given. Presumably the CDC has the sequences but chooses not to release them.

2009-11-27

France Follows Suit on Continent with 225G in Fatalities, Including a 225G Case with TamiFlu Resistance

France announces the presence of 225G associated with fatalities and indicates that one of the 225G strains is also TamiFlu Resistant.

Less than one week after the first official announcement from Norway, western Europe has a growing coverage of confirmed and probable 225G cases. As we mentioned on the 23<sup>rd</sup> of November, many countries will now open their databases concerning this RBD change. Those databases will confirm not that 225G is spreading, but that 225G was already widely dispersed and is spreading faster than we had previously been led to believe.

A glaring signal is apparent concerning the public's right to information that may protect their health. Release of important policy-making and family protection information has been blocked as the taxpayer-funded research centers and public health officials continue to withhold even the sparse data from the limited surveillance that has been conducted.

The leading world health agency reports a rise in TamiFlu Resistant sequences to 75 cases, geographically dispersed, while continuing to read the script of "spontaneous mutation, not transmitting" over the increasing set of clustered cases. All TamiFlu Resistant cases from PF11 have had the same Single Nucleotide Polymorphism coding for 275Y in the Neuraminidase and this French case is expected to follow suit. Not random and not spontaneous. We have tracked the details of the 13 available public anti-viral resistant sequences for variation.

225G is now being reported widely as countries increase transparency concerning the antigenic diversity and transmissibility of strains carrying this important Receptor Binding Domain change that has, on lab examination of the 1918 strains, conferred dual receptor specificity for tissue in the upper respiratory system and the deep lung tissue.

Countries with Probable * or Confirmed 225G

This drug resistant strain with antigenic diversity in France, an international travel hub, is one Hydra head that merits deep scrutiny.

Several questions come to mind concerning the French report considering the paired cross-segment changes on the Norway3364 sample from September, HA syn413K and NA syn407V. At the instant that research centers are identifying cross-segment linkages, we are now presented with a second set of pairs crossing the same two segments, HA 225G and NA 275Y.

Are the French cases contemporary? What are the clinical details? Note also that France published one of the first 225E sequences with Paris2591 from a 23M on 2009-05-01.

225G and 225E strains are co-circulating around the world, in one French case with TamiFlu Resistance, killing hosts quickly by destroying the lungs. Of deepest interest is the exhibition of clear vaccine escape signals if the low reactor status update of one recent Ukraine 225G, LvivN6, is validated. Antigenic diversity, whether due to viral response to human immunity, anti-viral selection pressure or vaccine pressure, is a certainty.

ΣPF11 is now officially Hydra.

Comment

I called. Their administrative offices are closed until Monday.

Comment

There is a problem with the title, it is not a new New York TIme article it is
                            from a blog diffuse by

I suggest to remove the Ny Times in the title because there is obviously a twist in the title and argumentation

Comment

..and remove the rumor of UK Medical since we cannot corroborated.

This is a blog twist

Maybe we should put it in deliberation room.

This is a blog interpretation not corroborated.

Comment

Working...
                              X