FluTrackers

Tracking Infectious Diseases since 2006

PayPal Verified medpedia.com

FluTrackers.com Inc. is a 501(c)(3) charity

Nederlandse taal Foro de Español de FluTrackers Francophones des FluTrackers Forum Italiano FluTrackers Latest Posts

www www.flutrackers.com

Go Back   FluTrackers > Personal, Family, & Professional Emergency Preparedness > Prep for the House

Old February 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Default Toilet Paper Substitute?

Toilet paper takes up a lot of space when stockpiling. Our household uses alot of the stuff. I am worried we may not be able to stockpile enough. Any ideas for substitutes?
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Toilet Paper Substitute?

Babywipes take up less room, you need less and some are antibacterial.
Old February 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I was just reading in the magazine "Natural Life" that one family uses soap and water which they find cleans their bodies better. Their goal is to save trees, primarily. I assume cost is also a benefit. You could buy the thin and small baby washcloths which would be great for that purpose (or use nice cotton rags, old towels cut up or washcloths). Those washable cloths would take up less room than regular toilet paper.

Having wiped my toilet training children's butts I can tell you that even when the paper is clean the body isn't always clean. That is a little testimonial for you. The kids use wet wipes now to aid the process. The are not perfect as I found I was allergic to them and really had a problem which I will not get into here...

When I was a baby my parents used a wet washcloth with a little soap on it as baby wipes were not invented yet.

Sometimes we don't have to look to far back in time to think of simpler ways of doing things.

Becoming frugal and finding multiple uses for things will be necessary if a pandemic hits.
Old February 24th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Managing Editor - Vice President

For people who are concerned about nappies/diapers taking up to much space.

http://www.natural-wisdom.com/

Last edited by Walter; February 27th, 2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I think for us the baby wipes will do. I guess they will not be out enforcing the no backyard burning rule, so that should work well.
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM

And what do you do when the wipes and toilet paper run out? Stock up on JC Penny catalogues, they're compact and will go a long ways. Also, take a roll of paper towels and remove the cardboard roll. In a large dish pan, soak the paper towels in a solution of water and antibacterial hand soap. After thoroughly soaked, place paper towels and about 2 cups of water/soap solution into a 2 gallon size ziplock bag. Press all the air out and store. Takes up less room and you have wet wipes that are large and will go a long ways.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I was at the house of a Saudi, and surprised to find there was no TP in the bathroom. There was, however, a picture of water positioned near the toilet.
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM

A twin-nozzled electronic bidet unit built into a toilet seat

There are three types of toilets commonly found in Japan. The oldest type is a simple squat toilet, which is still common in public restrooms. After World War II, modern Western-type flush toilets and urinals became common. The current state of the art is bidet toilets, which, as of 2004, are installed in more than half of Japanese households. In Japan, these bidets are commonly called Washlets (ウォシュレット), a brand name of Kitakyushu-based TOTO Ltd., and include many advanced features rarely seen outside of Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_toilet
Many Japanese women are embarrassed at the thought that someone else can hear them while they are doing their business on the toilet (a condition known as paruresis). To cover the sound of bodily functions, many women flushed public toilets continuously while using them, wasting a large amount of water in the process. As education campaigns did not stop this practice, a device was introduced in the 1980s that, after activation, produces the sound of flushing water without the need for actual flushing.

Wooden toilet paper from the Nara period (710 to 784) in Japan. The modern rolls in the background are for size comparison

Records of human usage of toilet paper first appeared in China, during the 14th century.
The first factory-made paper marketed exclusively for toilet use was produced by Joseph Cayetty in the United States in 1857. Cayetty's name was printed on every sheet.
Before this invention, wealthy people used wool, lace or hemp for their ablutions, while less wealthy people used their hand when defecating into rivers, or cleaned themselves with various materials such as rags, wood shavings, leaves, grass, hay, stone, sand, moss, water, snow, maize husks, or seashells, depending upon the country and weather conditions or social customs. In Ancient Rome, a sponge on a stick was commonly used, and, after usage, placed back in a bucket of saltwater.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:13 AM

Easier to stock up on toilet paper, you only need 100-300 rolls depending on plan and family size and if you by a trunk you could dquease them all flat'ish into it.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:56 AM

a small bucket of water with a little bleach... rinse wash rag and back hang on YOUR hook. empty bucket. Next...

to find out how much toilet paper you use.. remove all toilet paper on Saturday Morning before anyone gets up. Use, change if necessary, On Monday morning before anyone wakes up remove toilet paper and replace with what you took off. Count how many rolls you went through or estimate how many rolls it would be if you had more then one bathroom. If you used 1 roll in two days then estimate you use 1/2 a roll a day. If you find you used 3 full rolls then estimate you would use 1.5 rolls a day for how ever many people are in your household.

You can crush toilet paper as it has a hollow roll. I can get 36 rolls of Costco toilet paper in 1 rubber maid tote.

I would only use the bucket and rag if I ran out but... as mentioned.. telephone books, catalogs, newspaper all of these things work just fine... well better then the alternative!
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:01 PM

No thanks and no prison grade TP for me. I'm stocking up on Charmin. Got to use and rotate your preps!

BTW: since water and flushing may be a problem you want a TP that is easy to dissolve.

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...0135-1,00.html

Rotor-Rooter may no be operating when you need them.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Advisory Board, Administrator

A gentle warning to our readers- I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of bleach used for ANYTHING that contacts human tissue, it could cause serious burns and damage if used incorrectly- and thats easy to do.

Vinegar is a very gentle on human tissue, but effective mildly acidic germ killer, used by Home Health Nurses to clean and disinfect many types of home medical equipment. If anyone feels the need for a disinfectant thats used on skin, unless youre using one sepcifically formulated for skin; I'd suggest adding vinegar insteadof bleach. Too much chance of someone making too strong a solution, or of a child or pet getting into it and drinking or other wise being injured by it.

A mild bleach solution is great for washing rags and equipment that will be well rinsed before they are used.

I realize you probably were'nt suggesting bleach be used that way, Brook; please dont be offended by my warning. But after reading the earlier idea about the Roman sponge on the stick, and then the post about bleach, I though that it was possible that some of our readers (especially translating from other languages) might interpret it that same way (that first post kinda puts it into your mind and might lead to the second being interpreted that same) so I just wanted to mention it in case.
Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
To weave it into fabric..
Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Retired

Maybe I am not aware of english nuances in this matter and it is already stated, but when my older sun was born, there were no disposable diapers.

I had a bucket with a top that open with my feet and dropped the rinse diapers in clean water of the toilet and drop it in there, I have put water and bleach in it, not too much. Then once a day I would wash carefully the diaper, dry it, and used it again.

My older never had skin rush problem with it.
Old September 9th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Editor, Senior Moderator

For home owners/renters:
Our preps which require climate control go into the basement. However, TP, paper towels, sanitary products, old towels & sheets are just fine in the attic or garage. Think of it as added insulation
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Editor, Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy Owl
Maybe I am not aware of english nuances in this matter and it is already stated, but when my older sun was born, there were no disposable diapers.

I had a bucket with a top that open with my feet and dropped the rinse diapers in clean water of the toilet and drop it in there, I have put water and bleach in it, not too much. Then once a day I would wash carefully the diaper, dry it, and used it again.

My older never had skin rush problem with it.
I also used cloth diapers for my 2 children. Disposables were for traveling.

I soaked them in water with Borax prior to washing. Washing included an extra rinse.
If possible, I dried them in the sunshine - it's a marvelous antimicrobal & they smell good.

Old September 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM

This is a great thread, I haven't thought of what to do after the toliet paper runs out. I will be stocking up on baby wipes. Thank you all.
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Senior User

Yesterday I went to Gordon Food Supply and bought a package of Triumph Moist Towelettes. 100 in the pack, individually foil wrapped..$1.79.
I plan on using them to wash the face and hands if potable water is not available. I'll put a few in my car too.
They could also be used to keep the bottom clean, I suppose.
They are very moist and have a slight lemon scent.
I never purchased anything like this before, so here is what is says on the packages:
Here is your moist towelette, a strong napkin size towelette moistened with a pleasant lemon scented cleansing lotion. Lanolin free. Cleans and refreshes when soap and water are not available..Dries in seconds leaving skin soft and smooth.
(and it did)
I am pleased with them.

If there is a Gordon's near you, go buy a bag and try them out.
www.gfs.com

I am not affiliated with the company in any way. Its just a hobby of mine to stay clean.
TOILET PAPER FACTS:
http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/...cyclopedia.htm

I don't know if they ship products out: 1-800-968-6474

Should the plumbing not work during a pandemic, and you must make a temporary outhouse, just use the yellow pages instead of your toilet paper.. It works just fine. We used the telephone book pages in our outhouse years ago, whenever we ran out of toilet paper. A 3 seater super-deluxe outhouse.. complete with hornets' nests and flies. I know I won't have any trouble adjusting. I have a lot of past experience

I just found this:
http://www.packinpotty.com/privacytent.html
I suppose there are other brands like it for sale.

This is about the guy that went into the toilet booth in Grand Central Station,
sat down and had a bowel movement before he realized that there was no toilet paper.
Luckily someone entered the adjoining booth so he called over to him and asked if he had any toilet paper over there.
The reply came back, "No, there was no toilet paper".
"Well, is there any newspaper over there?"
"No, no newspaper over here".
"How about a paper bag?"
"No, no paper bag."
Then after a few moments of silence -
"Have you got two fives for a ten?"
(Robert Lyons)
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Sam's club online,(www.samsclub.com) in their hurricane section, has bath cloths and shampoo caps. The shampoo caps require no rinsing, you just put them on, rub the shampoo in, and take them off, I reckon. They're kinda expensive, looks like they were developed for the home health market. The bath cloths give a sponge bath with no rinsing necessary, kills odors too.
Or you can rub a little baby powder into your hair, not much or you'll look like a U.K. Judge, it looks freshly washed afterward. I had a neighbor who did that a lot, and her hair always looked better than mine, and I shampoo every day, while she shampooed every two weeks.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Easier to stock up on toilet paper, you only need 100-300 rolls depending on plan and family size and if you by a trunk you could dquease them all flat'ish into it.
If some one in the home eats something that disagrees with them - Lets face it: a lot of folks may have systems that will take some time adjusting to a change of diet - beans, rice, powdered milk and dehydrated foods, etc. - there may be some diarrhoea. That may cause a family to go through a a lot of tp.

If someone comes down with a stomach bug, food poisoning or even a nasty common cold a lot of tp may be needed. Exspecially if it goes thru the entire house hold.
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM

I bought baby bath clothes for when the TP runs out, but may pick up some clothe diapers as well. They can be cut into four squares, and they will dry quickly on the line. Both my kids wore cloth diapers; disposables were two expensive for a couple of grad students. I shouldn't have gotten rid of the diaper pail! Stocking up on Borax is a good idea, too.
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I am wondering about the use of facial tissue.. It would dispense nicely and cut down on using more than necessary, and stacks well for space considerations. The cheap stuff can be a real bargin..
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Editor, Advisory Board, Senior Moderator

Tissues are a viable alternative but still more expensive than TP. Instead choose baby wipes. Baby wipes are a very good item to have on hand for several reasons.
They will sub nicely for tp if it runs out.
Tender backsides are soothed if diarrhea is a problem. Some products are even medicated.
Will help with cleanliness issues if water runs short. Considering this item may be kept on a shelf, takes up little room, and will help you feel refreshed even if bathing is impossible, it is worth the expense.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
I am wondering about the use of facial tissue.. It would dispense nicely and cut down on using more than necessary, and stacks well for space considerations. The cheap stuff can be a real bargin..
Just don't flush it. It is very effective at clogging toilets!
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM

If this runs on a long time, and we run out of toilet paper, I'm making wipe cloths out of old t-shirts and other soft old clothes that I would normally have thrown out, (but kept in case I needed them.)

Also if paper towels run out, it's back to rags from old clothes that were not soft enough to become wipe cloths.

The plan is to use the wipe cloths in place of tp and then drop the used one in a bucket of water with 10% bleach in it. -- wash each day and hang on clothes line to dry.

BTW - move clothes line off the ground floor to prevent theft of clothes. Back in the 50's it was not unusual to find someone had helped themselves to something on your clothesline that they liked -- luckily only happened 1-2x a year, but still - why tempt fate? Mine is out a bedroom window to the top of the storage shed. It's a pulley system so I can hang clothes on it and pull the line to get free space for the next item to hang.
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr105 View Post
If this runs on a long time, and we run out of toilet paper, I'm making wipe cloths out of old t-shirts and other soft old clothes that I would normally have thrown out, (but kept in case I needed them.)

Also if paper towels run out, it's back to rags from old clothes that were not soft enough to become wipe cloths.

The plan is to use the wipe cloths in place of tp and then drop the used one in a bucket of water with 10% bleach in it. -- wash each day and hang on clothes line to dry.

BTW - move clothes line off the ground floor to prevent theft of clothes. Back in the 50's it was not unusual to find someone had helped themselves to something on your clothesline that they liked -- luckily only happened 1-2x a year, but still - why tempt fate? Mine is out a bedroom window to the top of the storage shed. It's a pulley system so I can hang clothes on it and pull the line to get free space for the next item to hang.
Good tips, thanks!