Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 women hospitalized in possible "hysteria" outbreak

Delta workers hospitalized after mass hysteria attack

Bag garment workers in Long An treated at Ho Chi Minh City hospital.
    More than 40 female workers were hospitalized in the Mekong Delta?s Long An Province Thursday in what appears to be a strange case of mass hysteria.

Around 100 women began crying copiously, and collapsed with their faces turning red, local reports said.

Two women were sent to the Can Giuoc District hospital and 40 to Nha Be Hospital in the neighboring Ho Chi Minh City after the incident happened at around 10a.m. at the bag-making factory of the South Korean Simone company.

Others recovered on their own. Health authorities have not figured out what caused their condition, but suspected it was a case of hysteria.

?I saw her crying and moving her arms and legs like a psychic. Several minutes later, I began crying and felt tired. I saw myself in the hospital when I woke up,? a worker named Tuyet was quoted by newswire Vnexpress as saying about a colleague.

Many others in the hospital also said they became fearful and began crying after they saw others doing so.

They felt tired, had difficult breathing and collapsed, workers said.

Dr. Phung Thi Xuan at Nha Be Hospital said the workers? condition was not critical.

The first woman having the symptom, who was not identified, said she only remembered feeling something stuck in her chest and had no idea what she did after that.

All the sick workers said they had smelled nothing strange and they?d had their own breakfast, not from a canteen.

Phan Van Nghiem, a doctor from HCMC Health Department, said some workers might have their sugar levels drop as they didn?t have breakfast, and others caught the symptoms because of ?psychological infection?.

Nguyen Huu Tho, director of the Nha Be Hospital, told Tuoi Tre hysteria might be the cause. The paper also reported that some workers said they?d seen ghosts in the toilet and made others terrified.

The managers of Simone, where more than 3,000 workers went on a two-day wildcat strike last month asking for timely payment of their salaries, health and social insurance, and not being forced to work overtime, have not been available for further information or comments.

Reported by Thanh Tung

Re: 40 women hospitalized in possible "hysteria" outbreak

I remember reading about the above.

Date of article: Last Updated: <!--2010-02-06 17:42:48 todaysDate = Date(10, 02, 06, 17, 42, 48); --><script language="JavaScript"> dayarray = new Array("Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday","Saturday"); montharray = new Array("January", "February", "March", "April","May", "June", "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December"); todaysDate = new Date("February 06, 2010 17:42:48"); document.write(dayarray[todaysDate.getDay()] + ", " + montharray[todaysDate.getMonth()] + " " + todaysDate.getDate() + ", "); //if (todaysDate.getYear() < 1000){ //document.write(todaysDate.getYear() + 2000); //} else { document.write(todaysDate.getFullYear()); //} document.write(" 17:42:48 Vietnam (GMT+07)"); </script>Saturday, February 6, 2010 17:42:48 Vietnam (GMT+07)

Comment

Re: 40 women hospitalized in possible &quot;hysteria&quot; outbreak

#1: "others caught the symptoms because of “psychological infection”"

tel me about, hah ...

to not dig in more scientifical health screening, stamp them as mass hysterical paranoids.

The famous words "panic is contageous" ...
      I remember one older scifi book describing citizens going frantic ...

maybe the effects of ionosphere em stimulations ...

Comment

Re: 40 women hospitalized in possible &quot;hysteria&quot; outbreak

Over the past five years, there have been a handful of these that actually resulted in ProMED posts. ProMED has actually taken a bit of flak for the suggestion that in most of these outbreaks, young or adolescent women are the victims. Such outbreaks have resulted in discussions over the root of the word "hysteria". That is why I put that word in quotes in the thread title.

It is conceivable that another such discussion is coming.

Comment

Working...
        X