X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sri Lanka 2011: Dengue, 173 fatalities

Dengue raises head in Colombo Thursday, 20 January 2011 00:00
    By Yohan Perera

Five dengue cases have been reported from a military establishment in Thimbirigasyaya in Colombo while equal number of cases has been reported from the Colombo University during the past few weeks.

Chief Medical Officer Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) Dr. Pradeep Kariyawasam told Daily Mirror yesterday that Thimbirigasyaya had been an area where the dengue had been high during the past few days.

The Chief Medical Officer said there had been 54 cases of dengue reported this month but it was a 50 percent drop compared to last month.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases

Dengue reaps its grim toll again
    By Carol Aloysius
    The threat of another outbreak of dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever (DF/DHF) which had temporarily subsided has re-surfaced.
    Data from the Government Epidemiology Unit (EPU) up to January 28 has revealed that the cumulative number of DF/DHF cases for January alone was 559 cases, while the cumulative number of deaths from the twin diseases was eight.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Sri Lanka: 2011 Dengue cases

Source: http://www.nation.lk/2011/02/06/news1.htm

Worst dengue epidemic feared
      By Carol Aloysius

As the country continues to be battered by inclement weather, dengue cases and resulting deaths are soaring to epidemic proportions already.
      Health sources are warning that this year?s epidemic may be more severe than the previous epidemic in 2009/10, when the total number of cases stood at 34,105 with 246 deaths by end December 2010.

From 790 cumulative cases recorded up to February 2, 2011, the numbers jumped by 41 in one day to reach 831 on February 3, according to data from the Epidemiology Unit. Equally frightening is the number of deaths which now stands at 11 so far this year from just eight deaths last month. The number of deaths for the entire month of February 2010 was 14...

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases, 11 fatalities

Dengue rises again in Dehiwela ?Mt. Lavinia Saturday, 12 February 2011 03:06
        By Ananda Weerasuriya

More than 100 positive cases of Dengue had been reported between January 1 and February 10 in the Dehiwela ? Mt. Lavinia Municipal area out of which there had been three fatalities, said Municipal Medical Officer of Health ? Dr. Mohamed Hamsa.

The deaths were reported from Bhathiya Mawatha where two boys aged 4 and 7 were reported to have succumbed to the fatal disease, while a security officer attached to a private security firm located at Dehiwela Junction had also died of the disease.

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases, 14 fatalities

Most recent government report, Feb 11, details 1105 cases and 13 deaths.

Cases and fatalities by week;

Comment

Source: http://www.nation.lk/2011/02/13/news2.htm

Dengue rages; leaps by 37 cases within one day
            By Carol Aloysius

The number of dengue cases took an unprecedented jump this week, rising by 37 cases in one day on Friday.

The cumulative number of cases according to Epidemiology Unit data, which was 1,068 on February 10, jumped to 1,105 on February 11. The disease in its most virulent form ? Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF) ? can lead to death and has already killed 13 victims with most of them in the Colombo District.

The sharp rise in the number of cases has been mainly in Colombo, which at the end of January recorded 305 cases with 78 new cases by February 10, bringing the total to 383. Gampaha came second with 109 cumulative cases in January and totalling 134 cases by February 11...

Comment

Most recent government reports, Feb 21, details 1479 cases and 15 deaths.

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases, 15 fatalities

Reports from Feb 25; 1,627 cases and 18 fatalities.

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases, 18 fatalities

Source: http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/s...g-climate-risk

Sri Lanka using fines to beat dengue amid rising climate risk
                  02 Mar 2011 11:42
                  Source: alertnet // Amantha Perera

COLOMBO (AlertNet) - Dengue fever, a potentially fatal disease that has infected more than 70,000 people and killed over 500 in Sri Lanka since January 2009, has shown the first signs of abating in two years as the government steps up a campaign that includes fines against people and businesses that fail to remove mosquito breeding areas.

The fall in cases comes despite extensive flooding this year, which can encourage dengue-carrying mosquitoes to breed in standing water...

Comment

Reports from March 3rd; 1817 cases and 18 fatalities.

Comment

Source: http://www.groundreport.com/World/60...o-City/2935994

60 Dengue Patients Were Reported From Colombo City During March
                      by Emanthi Marambe March 08, 2011

Around 60 Dengue Patients and 02 Dengue Deaths had been reported from the Colombo City during the first 08 days of this Month(March) the Chief Medical Officer in Colombo Dr.Pradeep Kariyawasam has said today...

Comment

Reports from March 9th;

2082 cases and 19 fatalities.

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases, 19 fatalities

Source: http://print.dailymirror.lk/news/pro...ews/37738.html

Dengue invades Kalpitiya again
                          Thursday, 10 March 2011 00:00
                          By Pathma Kumari Kankanamge

Health authorities in the Kalpitiya area are alarmed that dengue fever is spreading. The Medical Officer of Health, Dr M B A Thuwan said 77 positive cases of dengue fever and one death due to dengue were reported for the first three months of the year. He said 45 patients including 12 naval ratings of the Kalpitiya Vijeya Naval Base were reported as dengue victims for January and 29 patients including two more naval ratings in February. He said three patients were reported for the first week of March. The MOH said Mandathudava, Vannimundalama, Anawasala, Pudukudiruppu, Ekkalam, Kandakudiya and Kudawa Grama Niladhari Divisions have been identified as areas affected but added that a crash programme was underway to control the spread of the disease...

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases, 19 fatalities

Reports from March 11th;

2159 cases and 24 fatalities.

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka 2011 Dengue cases, 24 fatalities

Source: http://print.dailymirror.lk/news/news/38248.html

Increase in Dengue deaths, mostly from Colombo
                              Tuesday, 15 March 2011 01:25

By Sajeewa Wijeweera

Statistically 24 deaths caused by Dengue fever had been reported for the past two months this year. Epidemiology Unit of the Ministry of Health said the most number of deaths were from the Colombo District.

They said there were 767 positive cases of Dengue fever and 10 deaths. Four deaths were reported from the Puttalam district and two deaths each from Jaffna and Ratnapura districts. One death each was reported from Gampaha, Kandy, Matara, Batticaloa, Trincomalee and Anuradhapura districts.

In January this year 905 Dengue positive cases were reported island-wide and in February 1031cases. The number of Dengue patients reported from February 25 to March 4 was 223 and the number of deaths five.

However, a senior official of the Epidemiology Unit said he was hopeful that the number of patients would decline in the months to come...

Comment

Working...
                              X