Quick and Simple overview of 19 probable MERS-CoV cases, 3 December 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick and Simple overview of 19 probable MERS-CoV cases, 3 December 2013

This is my own take on the 19 probable MERS-CoV cases from my spread sheet! Since its retrospective I didn't provide details of each case just a quick and simple overview of the 19 Probable MERS-CoV cases
    MER-CoV- Probable Case List

Zarqa, Jordan (p=11)
    1. 30M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 2
    2. 60M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 4
    3. 29M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 5
    4. 33M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 6
    5. 28M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 7
    6. 45M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 8
    7. 46M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 9
    8. 25M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 10
    9. 53M, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 11
    10. 28F, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 12
    11. 60F, Hijawi et al. 2013* EMHJ case 13
    Not included 22M Onset: end of March; Hijawi et al.2013* EMHJ additional case Down Syndrome ARDS Fatal

Novel coronavirus infections in Jordan, April 2012: epidemiological findings from a retrospective investigation B. Hijawi, M. Abdallat A. Sayaydeh, S. Alqasrawi, A. Haddadin, N. Jaarour, S. Alsheikh and T. Alsanouri http://applications.emro.who.int/emh...p1_S12_S18.pdf

------

Saudi Arabia (p=4)

12. 16M, pt 3; previously healthy, Student grandson of 70M and son of 39M office worker (Family A)
    Family Cluster of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Infections

13. 51M, suspect index, Suspect Index of 39M and 40M brothers
    Omrani et al. 2013 A family cluster of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus infections related to a likely unrecognized asymptomatic or mild case. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2013.07.001 August 2013 http://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1...225-7/abstract

14. 56(M) - Assiri et al. 2013 appendix pt A *- previously admitted to hospital A on 5-Apr-13, onset 8-Apr-13, ICU 9-Apr-13, M/V on 11-Apr-13, Fatal on 15-Apr-13; Health care facility of transmission- N/A (Presumed index case; community-*‐acquired)

15. 55(M) - Assiri et al. 2013 appendix pt C*- ESRD outpt dialysis; previously admitted to hospital A on 4-Apr-13 to the 8-Apr-13, and discharged; readmitted with onset on 11-Apr-13, ICU 13-Apr-13, M/V on 14-Apr-13, Fatal 18-Apr-13; Health care facility of transmission- N/A (Presumed community) Most probable exposure: Adjacent room to pt A (56M) on ward 1, 8-Apr-13

Assiri A, McGeer A, Perl TM, et al. Hospital outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. N Engl J Med 2013;369:407-16. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1306742 http://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.105...2_appendix.pdf

-----
    Italy (p=2)

16. 2F (1 1/2 yrs) Puzelli et al. 2013*** Case 2; reclassified as probable; Admitted to Isolation at (hosp C), Mild febrile illness, and pneumonia*** [Meyer Children's Centre, Florence]

17. 42 F Puzelli et al. 2013*** Case 3; reclassified as probable; 1-Jun-13 admitted to the Infectious Diseases Unit of Hospital B in Florence

Puzelli S, Azzi A, Santini MG, Di Martino A, Facchini M, Castrucci MR, Meola M, Arvia R, Corcioli F, Pierucci F, Baretti S, Bartoloni A, Bartolozzi D, de Martino M, Galli L, Pompa MG, Rezza G, Balocchini E, Donatelli I. Investigation of an imported case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection in Florence, Italy, May to June 2013. Euro Surveill. 2013;18(34):pii=20564. Available online: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/View...rticleId=20564

WHO | Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) - update

----

Spain (p=2)

Probable Cluster

18. 61F WHO/ECDC probable 18, Madrid, Comunidad De, Spain (1) (imported via Medina, Mecca,KSA) 1-Nov-13 Admitted to Madrid, Puerta de Hierro University Hospital, Majadahonda

19. Age pending Female; Same tour group and one close contact positive; Shared Hotel room; Both performed the Hajj during their stay in Saudi Arabia (WHO)

"At time of reporting: Since April 2012, 157 laboratory-confirmed and 19 probable cases of human infection with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) have been reported to WHO."

It appears that WHO has these two probable cases from KSA on Graph.... Figure 2 Month of onset of 176 confirmed and probable MERS-CoV cases by country of most likely exposure

----

Please see MERS-CoV Flu Trackers Line List for more suspect cases.

2012/2013 Case List of MoH/WHO Novel Coronavirus nCoV Announced Cases - FluTrackers

Re: Quick and Simple overview of 19 probable MERS-CoV cases, 3 December 2013

Great analysis!

I am going to add to the FT case list page under the suspected category.

As to the 2 "Spain" cases which are probably Saudi cases, we have one on our official case list. This is because the government of Spain officially announced this case. As of yesterday the WHO has not confirmed this case. As to the 2nd case discovered in Spain, today I am going to also add this person to our official list pending WHO confirmation.

While test results can be the definitive measure, many diseases around the world are diagnosed based on clinical symptoms and patient history. I believe this to be the situation with the Saudi cases diagnosed in Spain.

Comment

Hi Sharon.. just suggesting.. to make it easy, the 2nd probable spanish case would be chronologically on FluTrackers list as ~164 and push the 3 confirmed case to Abu Dhabi , United Arab Emirates #165, 166, 167.

Comment

Many people are using our case list numbering system so once we allocate a number for a case we can not change it without causing a lot of confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
          Many people are using our case list numbering system so once we allocate a number for a case we can not change it without causing a lot of confusion.
          for instance:

snip

I use below, the FluTracker's (FT) case numbering scheme because frankly, they produce the only numbering schemes for tracking cases of new or returning infectious disease that are systematic, reliable and worthy of our trust.

It should form the basis for a worldwide numbering system for infectious disease outbreaks because it is also freely and publicly available such that any potential manuscript author can easily check it before submitting a research paper and then we could all know which case is being discussed. And by "we" I mean fellow researchers, not just interested parties.

In a strange coincidence of numerals, the 4th Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) report in a row from the Ministry of H...

Comment

I agree, makes total sense in maitaining allocated case #'s for all parties.

Comment

Working...
            X