• Show
Clear All

• More Flu Deaths in Georgia - State Total 40

Source: http://www.walb.com/story/24417896/m...-south-georgia

More Flu Deaths in South Georgia
    Posted: Jan 10, 2014 1:49 PM EST Updated: Jan 10, 2014 1:49 PM EST
    By Robert Hydrick - bio | email

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

The Georgia Department of Public Health has confirmed two additional flu-related deaths in south Georgia, totaling three for the South Health District. Both of the deceased were young adults. So far in Georgia there have been 19 flu-related deaths this flu season.

The first flu death in south Georgia was reported last week...

Re: More Flu Deaths in South Georgia - State Total 19

Note that the hospitalization rates are higest for young children (<5 years) and older adults (65+) but the most deaths are in adults from 18-64.

From the Week 1 Georgia Influenza Weekly Report:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Week 1 GA Hospitalizations and Deaths.png
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	661269
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Source: http://www.wtvm.com/story/24421745/n...es-in-one-week

Number of flu deaths in Georgia doubles in one week
      Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:40 PM EST Updated: Jan 10, 2014 11:21 PM EST
      By Dante Renzulli - bio | email

VALDOSTA, GA (WTVM) -

The State Department of Health has confirmed two more people in South Georgia have just died- the victims of flu infections that spun out of control. Health officials said neither one was in a traditionally at-risk category of the population. They were both young adults- a group that is abnormally being hit the hardest in this year's numbers...

Comment

Source: http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top...gia-8667.shtml

Monday, January 13 2014, 12:11 PM EST
        Two Flu-related Deaths Confirmed in North Georgia

The Georgia Department of Public Health has confirmed two flu-related deaths in North Georgia (comprised of Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield Counties). There have been 19 flu-related deaths reported statewide in Georgia.

Health department officials said both of the victims were "middle-aged," and had not received a flu vaccine...

Comment

Re: More Flu Deaths in Georgia - State Total 31

A screen shot from the Week 2 Georgia report:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Week 2 GA.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	661293
          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

pH1N1
            Data Sparsity

Georgia

A total of 7 sequences are on file from US Public Health sources to describe the entire state of Georgia for the current season (s2013), the last season (s2012) and the inter-season (i2013). Two US Military branches supplied one sequence each to supplement the US CDC effort of five.
            • HA 20 & NA 14 for Georgia 2013-December
            • HA 21 & NA 17 for Georgia 2013-October
            • HA 21 & NA 15 for Georgia 2013-August
            • HA 29 & NA 14 for Georgia 2013-April
            • HA 21 & no NA for Georgia 2013-March
            • HA 22 & no NA for Georgia 2013-February
            • HA 23 & NA 14 for Georgia 2013-January

Multiple sequences carry predictive genetics at the Hemagglutinin segment that are correlated to Immune Escape variation at HA 225G. Mixed traces indicating potential for co-infection with alternate strains of influenza are found on this small group of sequences. The October sequence demonstrates the transmission potential of an HA change that is found on Emergent H7N9 in China. In August, polymorphisms leading to Asparagine at two HA aminos and revision of Asparagine at a third amino near key Receptor Binding amino acids, merited examination for Glycosylation modification.

Sequences with 34 to 43 combined antigen polymorphisms that define diversity are ample evidence of High Intensity genetics to justify a larger deposit of information to protect the citizens of Georgia.

Statistically, can two seasons of Influenza in Georgia be quantified by a sample population of 7?

Comment

The inter-season Georgia sequence from August bearing three Asparagines shares significant HA and NA segment homology with NewHampshire04_E3_27F_2013_09_17_VxX [EPI485763], a sequence manifesting the Deep Lung involvement marker, HA 225G, in quasi-species.

Comment

The Emergent H7N9-correlated, October sequence from Georgia is on the same HA and NA background as Utah10_C1_14F_2013_10_29_TmX [EPI487732], a sequence manifesting GenoTypic AntiViral Drug Resistance with NA 275Y as a quasi-species.

Comment

News story.
                  <table align="center" border="0px" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0px" style="background-color: #ffe9c4; border-color: darkred; border-radius: 4px; border-style: ridge; border-width: 12px; box-shadow: 0 5px 15px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 2px; width: 80%;">
                  <tbody>
                  <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 140%; font-weight: bold;">Number of Georgia flu deaths higher than last year
                  </td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 90%;">This season, however, the largest percentage of flu-stricken Georgians in hospitals -- about 34.8 percent -- have been patients in the 18-49 age range. In addition, 14 of the 31 reported deaths have been in that same age range.
                  </td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center; font-size: 100%;"><td></td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td>BY PHILLIP RAMATI</td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td><a href="http://www.macon.com/" target="_blank">The Telegraph
                  Middle Georgia's News Source</a>
                  January 22, 2014</td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center;">
                  <td align="center" style="vertical-align: middle; width: 75%;"><div style="background-color: navajowhite; border-bottom-left-radius: 20px; border-bottom-right-radius: 20px; border-top-left-radius: 20px; border-top-right-radius: 20px; border: 2px solid maroon; color: black; line-height: 18px; padding: 10px; text-align: center; width: 70%;">
                  <div style="text-align: left;">
                  <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 100%;">'Georgia has had 31 flu-related deaths from July through this week, and that tally is likely to increase, according to the Georgia Department of Health. By comparison, there were 11 flu-related deaths in the state for 2012-13.'

</span></div>
                  </div>
                  </td></tr>
                  </tbody></table>

Comment

Re: More Flu Deaths in Georgia - State Total 37

37 flu deaths in Georgia, 673 hospitalized in metro Atlanta

There have been 37 confirmed influenza-associated deaths in Georgia, and 673 hospitalizations in metro Atlanta this flu season, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health.

Comment

Georgia health officials monitoring deadlier flu season

ATLANTA ? State Department of Public Health officials say nearly 40 people have died of flu-related complications this season and more than 650 people have been hospitalized.

Georgia Hospital Association spokesman Kevin Bloye told the Augusta Chronicle (http://bit.ly/1iDQzBx ) that his organization is "closely monitoring flu levels across the state."

Bloye says although the state's hospitals are seeing an increase in the number of flu cases, the primary concern is the severity of the cases. Bloye says many patients who have been hospitalized have been much sicker than normal.

Georgia Department of Public Health influenza surveillance coordinator Audrey Martyn says although the state isn't even halfway through flu season, the organization has seen more severe cases than in 2013.

Martyn says the H1n1 strain has made comeback in Georgia and across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by tetano View Post
                        Georgia health officials monitoring deadlier flu season

ATLANTA ? State Department of Public Health officials say nearly 40 people have died of flu-related complications this season and more than 650 people have been hospitalized.

Georgia Hospital Association spokesman Kevin Bloye told the Augusta Chronicle (http://bit.ly/1iDQzBx ) that his organization is "closely monitoring flu levels across the state."

Bloye says although the state's hospitals are seeing an increase in the number of flu cases, the primary concern is the severity of the cases. Bloye says many patients who have been hospitalized have been much sicker than normal.

Georgia Department of Public Health influenza surveillance coordinator Audrey Martyn says although the state isn't even halfway through flu season, the organization has seen more severe cases than in 2013.

Martyn says the H1n1 strain has made comeback in Georgia and across the country.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...gia-Flu-Season
                        Season Over Season
                        Fatality Count Increase
                        Georgia

360%

Midway through this season and the season-over-season fatality count has increased by 360%.

Controlling and preventing this type of fatal spike in predictable disease would greatly benefit Georgia's citizens, although we certainly appreciate the monitoring.

Comment

Re: More Flu Deaths in Georgia - State Total 40

Data Sparsity contributes to the lack of prevention in Georgia at this stage of the burgeoning flashfire.

Dangerous genetics are circulating in the state and only limited surveillance has been demonstrated.

Comment

Working...
                          X