Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cambodia - Boy, 8, died from H5N1 bird flu - dead sister is untested possible case - Kratie province

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambodia - Boy, 8, died from H5N1 bird flu - dead sister is untested possible case - Kratie province

PHNOM PENH, Feb. 12 (Xinhua) -- A seven-year-old boy and his three-year-old sister from Cambodia's northeastern Kratie Province died from H5N1 human avian influenza on Friday, bring the death number of the cases to three so far this year, a health official confirmed Wednesday.

"They died on the same day at Kompong Cham Provincial Referral Hospital, the girl died first," Dr. Sok Touch, director of Communicable Disease Control Department at the Ministry of Health, told Xinhua.

The two siblings contracted the virus on Feb. 1 and were taken to the hospital by their parents.

"Chickens were found died in their village and they had touched and eaten poultry before getting sick," he said.

"The boy victim was tested positive for H5N1 virus, but the girl victim died before she could be tested," he said. However, the two victims had shown similar symptoms.

H5N1 influenza is a flu that normally spreads between sick poultry, but it can sometimes spread from poultry to human, according to the World Health Organization.

Bird flu was first identified in Cambodia ten years ago. To date, the country has reported 50 human cases of the virus, killing 35 people.

Re: H5N1 bird flu kills two siblings in northeastern Cambodia

Boy becomes Cambodia's first bird flu death of year

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014
    AFP
    PHNOM PENH - An eight-year-old boy has died from bird flu in Cambodia, the country's first confirmed fatality from the deadly virus this year, a health official said Wednesday.

The boy's two-year-old sister also died on the same day after showing symptoms of H5N1 but officials could not carry out tests before her death to confirm if she had the virus, said Sok Touch of the Ministry of Health.

He said the siblings, who died hours apart at the same hospital on Friday, had come into contact with poultry before they fell sick in their village in eastern Kratie province.
    - See more at: http://yourhealth.asiaone.com/conten....ezqOFruP.dpuf
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: H5N1 bird flu kills two siblings in northeastern Cambodia

2nd New Human Case of Avian Influenza H5N1 in Cambodia in 2014
      12 February 2014

The Ministry of Health (MoH) of the Kingdom of Cambodia wishes to advise members of the public that one new human case of avian influenza has been confirmed for the H5Nl virus. This is the 2nd case this year and the 49th person to become infected with the H5N1 virus in Cambodia. The case is from Kratie province and died on 7th February. Of the 49 confirmed cases, 37 were children under 14, and 27 of the 49 were female. In addition, since the first case happened in Cambodia in 2005 there were only 15 cases survived.

The 2nd case this year, a 8-year-old boy from Kbal Trach village, Sre Cha commune, Snourl district, Kratie province, was tested positive for H5N1 human avian influenza on 8th February 2014 by Institut Pasteur du Cambodge. The boy had onset fever, sore throat and running nose on 31st January 2014, his parents sought treatment at a private clinic in his village. His condition worsened and the boy was admitted to Memot Referral Hospital on 6th February. On 7th February, the boy had symptoms of fever, sore throat, cough, abdominal pain, diarrhea, dyspnea and somnolence, and was transferred to Kampong Cham Hospital at 1: 00 am. Tamiflu was administered on the same day. Despite intensive medical care, the boy died on 7th February (around 6.00 pm). ......Read more

The 2 year old sister also died but could not be tested for confirmation... Probable case?

Comment

Re: Cambodia - Boy, 8, died from H5N1 bird flu - dead sister is untested possible case - Kratie province

Source: http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/fo...ed-risk-52076/

For Poor, Eating Dead Poultry Is a Calculated Risk
        By Sek Odom and Simon Henderson | February 13, 2014

In late January, five of the 10 chickens owned by Leng Lal, a subsistence rice farmer in Kratie province, suddenly died.

Although Mr. Lal, 40, said he knew the dead birds might be dangerous and he should burn and bury the carcasses, he instructed his 8-year-old son to prepare the chickens to be cooked.

A week after the family feasted on the dead poultry, the young boy and his 2-year-old sister started displaying symptoms of H5N1 avian influenza, or bird flu.

Soon afterward, the two children died in the Kompong Cham Provincial Referral hospital.

?I am really, really sad that my children are dead and I really don?t know now what my wife and I will do, but we needed to eat and I thought it would be a shame to waste the chickens?so when they died I decided to cook them for food,? Mr. Lal said Wednesday.

Mr. Lal had heard the warnings about bird flu and knew the procedures he should follow if any of his birds died or became sick, but like many other poor villagers, he decided that a meal for his children outweighed the risk of contracting the disease...

Comment

Working...
        X