• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mutational analysis of H5N1 and H1N1 for ascertaining test systems"

Current Science, Vol. 92, No. 7, 10 April 2007
    pp. 894-95

Scientific Correspondence:

Mutational analysis of H5N1 and H1H1 for ascertaining test systems

Bird flu (also known as avian influenza, avian flu, influenza virus A, type A flu, or genus A flu) is a type of influenza virus that is hosted by birds, but may infect several species of mammals. H5N1 is a highly pathogenic strain of bird flu. The first known appearance of this type of influenza in humans1 was in Hong Kong during 1997. The name H5N1 refers to the subtypes of surface antigens present on the virus: hemagglutinin type 5 and neuraminidase type 1. Normally, avian flu viruses are transported worldwide in the intestines of wild birds, and are nonlethal. Infected birds pass on H5N1 through their saliva, nasal secretions and faeces. Because migratory birds are among the carriers of the H5N1 virus, it may spread to all parts of the world. There are three types of influenza viruses, namely A, B and C, which are classified on the basis of nucleoproteins. Among these, influenza A virus has a pandemic potential. There are two important surface glycoproteins, hemagglutinin (HA), and neuraminidase (NA), which are embedded in the virus membrane. Hemagglutinin mediates receptor binding and membrane fusion, whereas neuraminidase facilitates cleavage of the viral progeny from infected cells. There are 16 H and 9 N subtypes of the influenza A virus2. Totally 144 HA and NA combinations are possible, out of which 103 have been confirmed. The avian influenza A virus (AIV) that contains the HA subtypes H3, H4, H6 is the most frequently isolated, whereas AIV of subtypes H5 and H7 was less frequently encountered. All other HAs are rather rare. AIV that possesses the NA of subtypes N2, N1, N8 and N3 is frequent and all other NAs are rarely detected3. There are two models of mutations associated with influenza virus, namely antigen shift and antigen drift4.

The H5N1 genome has eight segments (1?8), each segment codes for a protein: polymerase* (PB2), polymerase (PB1), polymerase (none), hemagglutanin (none), nucleocapsid (none), neuraminidase (NA), matrix protein 2(M) and nonstructural protein respectively.

Lysine (K) at position 627 of H1N1 (1918) has mutated to glutamic acid (E) in H5N1 (K627E), which is known to be pandemic for humans. This finding has resulted in a new approach of vaccine treatment for bird flu.

We notice one more mutation at position 628 which changes glutamine(Q) in H1N1 to proline(P) in H5N1 (Q627P), but this mutation has no effect on the protein function.

H1N1 PB2 gene ?A(623)APPK(627)Q-(628)S? changes into ?A(623)APPE(627)-P(628)S?.

There are two domains present in segment of H5N1 genome, whose Prodom Domain ID is PD001667 and PD217887. However, position 627 comes under domain PD001667.

Secondary structure of segment 1 of H5N1 and H1N1 is almost similar according to the SOPMA secondary structure prediction. There are minor changes found in the extended strands and random coils, where the alpha helix is the same in H5N1 and H1N1.

Results have shown that the protein sequence of H5N1 is close to H1N1, but there are minor changes found due to a single mutation. Deletion of one amino acid at 627 is mainly responsible for the mutation. This leads to the new approach of vaccine treatment for bird flu. There are two domains found in segment 1 of H5N1 genome. The result of SOPMA shows that there are 284 alpha helices, 176 extended strands, 66 beta turns and 233 random coils present in the secondary structure.

1. Chan, P. K., Clin. Infect. Dis., 2002, 34, S58?S64.
    2. Wu, Tsung-Zu and Huang, Li-Min, Chang Gung Med. J., 11 November 2005, 28.
    3. Kaleta, E. F., Hergarten, G. and Yilmaz, A., Dtsch. Tierarztl. Wochenschr., 2005, 112, 448?456.
    4. Nicholson, K. G., Wood, J. M. and Zambon, M., Lancet, 2003, 362, 1733?1745.

Received 7 June 2006; revised accepted 23 November 2006

DHARMENDRA KUMAR*
    PUSHPA AGRAWAL
    PRASHANTHA V. SARADESAI
    B. J. ARAVINDA
    SHREYASH N. DESHPANDE

Department of Biotechnology,
    R.V. College of Engineering,
    R.V. Vidhyaniketan Post,
    Mysore Road,
    Bangalore 560 059, India

*For correspondence.
    e-mail: dk_bioinfo _at_ yahoo.com

...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Re: "Mutational analysis of H5N1 and H1H1 for ascertaining test systems"

I got the first paragraph. But the rest is beyond me.

Is this a summary of what's been learnt about the genetics of AI over the last year? Or is the some other significance to this piece?

J.

Comment

I'd like to download+install SOPMA or other
      secondary prediction software

found this:

but couldn't yet install/understand/run any of the programs

bioperl even has a mailing list with an archive:
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
        I'd like to download+install SOPMA or other
        secondary prediction software

found this:

but couldn't yet install/understand/run any of the programs
        It looks to me like you just load your own database for analysis using the software on their server.

NPS@ stands for Network Protein Sequence @nalysis.
        NPS@ is an interactive Web server dedicated to protein sequence analysis and available for the biologist community at URL: http://npsa-pbil.ibcp.fr/.
        NPS@ is the "protein part" of the "P?le Bio-Informatique Lyonnais" (PBIL).

What kind of analysis can you carry out with NPS@ ? What do you need to use NPS@ ?
        • a sequence (HELP).
        • a sequence base in Pearson/FASTA format (HELP).
        • a pattern with PROSITE syntax (HELP).
        protein, nps@, mpsa, npsa, pbil, antheprot, sopm, sopma,mlr,dpm,sequence, secondary structure,prediction,clustalw, blast, fasta, prosite, multalin, multiple alignment, biocomputing, dssp, interpro, bioinformatics, modeling, pattern, homology, similarity, deleage, combet, geourjon, blanchet, bettler, ibcp
        http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

yes, I could do that. But it's slow and I'd like it to run
          through large files for statistics or maybe the outputs
          do already exist for all genbank-sequences ?!?

here is one example:

HA from A/Indonesia/5/2005(H5N1) :

Sequence length : 569

SOPMA :
          Alpha helix (Hh) : 176 is 30.93%
          310 helix (Gg) : 0 is 0.00%
          Pi helix (Ii) : 0 is 0.00%
          Beta bridge (Bb) : 0 is 0.00%
          Extended strand (Ee) : 129 is 22.67%
          Beta turn (Tt) : 42 is 7.38%
          Bend region (Ss) : 0 is 0.00%
          Random coil (Cc) : 222 is 39.02%
          Ambigous states (?) : 0 is 0.00%
          Other states : 0 is 0.00%

now I'm trying to interpret this....

cleavage site is at 340

Comment

Originally posted by cartski View Post

Is this a summary of what's been learnt about the genetics of AI over the last year? Or is the some other significance to this piece?

J.
            Don't ask me -- I haven't got a clue! I was hoping someone else could explain it....
            ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by cartski View Post

J.
              At best it is full of errors because of translation issues.

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
                At best it is full of errors because of translation issues.
                It was written in English originally, I believe -- don't think it's a translation. Perhaps the authors' English is not very good...?

Comment

Is this supposed to be read like an Elliott Wave?

Comment

The Elliott wave principle, or wave principle, is a form of technical analysis that investors use to forecast trends in the financial markets and other collective activities. Ralph Nelson Elliott, a professional accountant, developed the concept in the 1930s, proposing that market prices unfold in specific patterns, which practitioners today call Elliott waves, or simply waves. He published his views of market behavior in the book The Wave Principle (1938), in a series of articles in Financial World magazine in 1939, and most fully in his final major work, Nature?s Laws ? The Secret of the Universe (1946).<SUP class=reference id=_ref-Masterworks_0>[1]</SUP> Elliott said that "because man is subject to rhythmical procedure, calculations having to do with his activities can be projected far into the future with a justification and certainty heretofore unattainable."

Comment

Re: &quot;Mutational analysis of H5N1 and H1H1 for ascertaining test systems&quot;

I am not sure there is anything to be learned from this.

The letter to the journal makes little sense and the analysis of the secondary structure of the resultant protein is of little help unless you can show, and then understand, the biological implications of resultant changes to the tertiary structure. Our understanding of the ramifications of changes to the 3D structure are fairly limited.
                      Mingus has a thread with some info on 3D modelling See http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9645

And there was a good paper showing how mutations that are known to influence a2,3 / a2,6 binding specificity on the HA RBS change the strength of the bonds but I have not been able to find it, if anyone knows where it is please paste the link.
                      Last edited by JJackson; April 23, 2007, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Re: &quot;Mutational analysis of H5N1 and H1H1 for ascertaining test systems&quot;

hmm, these HA-pictures, I don't understand this all.

The HA is the envelope of the virus or not ?
                        So, where are the spikes which you usually see on the virus-pictures ?
                        Why are some viruses of exactly the same type
                        spherical and some filamentous ?
                        The HA must form a cavity, where the 6 internal segments are put, or not ?

Comment

M1 forms the skeleton of the sphere (or filament), this is covered by a layer ?borrowed? from the cell wall of the host that made the viron, the HA & NA proteins are the ?spikes?.

Comment

thanks. From the Mingus pictures I conclude/guess then that the
                            spikes are not really spikes but bumps.
                            How many ? Someone must have counted them. It must
                            all be encoded in the HA-(protein-)sequence, just ~600 amino-acids (?)

Comment

the filamentous viruses, could it be that they are just
                              several merged spherical ones ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	influenzae.gif
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	648410
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	flui.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	648411
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by gsgs; May 13, 2007, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X