Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Spain confirms 1st ebola case outside of Africa - health care worker who cared for dead ebola patient in Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion: Spain confirms 1st ebola case outside of Africa - health care worker who cared for dead ebola patient in Spain

I hope they will share any information immediately that would support a likely cause - like a documented lapse in PPE or a reported needle stick - anything that will create a justified reason vs. an unknown and panic inducing cause for transmission.

Re: Spain: Spanish Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victim in Madrid Tests Positive For Disease - 2nd confirming test confirms nosocomial transmission

Originally posted by curiosity View Post
    I hope they will share any information immediately that would support a likely cause - like a documented lapse in PPE or a reported needle stick - anything that will create a justified reason vs. an unknown and panic inducing cause for transmission.
    It says she had been reassigned to La Paz, I wonder if they knew there might be an exposure and took her off of patient care. If she had clinical duties, it will be interesting to see how her recent patient contacts are handled.

Comment

Discussion: Spain confirms 1st ebola case outside of Africa - health care worker who cared for dead ebola patient in Spain

The news thread is here.

I have one comment. Groan.

Like curiosity, I hope the details of how the health care worker became infected is released soon.

Comment

Re: Spain: Spanish Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victim in Madrid Tests Positive For Disease - 2nd confirming test confirms nosocomial transmission

Originally posted by Dani View Post
        It says she had been reassigned to La Paz, I wonder if they knew there might be an exposure and took her off of patient care. If she had clinical duties, it will be interesting to see how her recent patient contacts are handled.
        I hope they considered all HCW at minimum to be low risk exposures and kept them from clinical duty until a quarantine period was over.

Please move to discussion thread. Sorry I didn't see it before posting.

Comment

Re: Discussion: Spain confirms 1st ebola case outside of Africa - health care worker who cared for dead ebola patient in Spain

I copied curiosity's and Dani's posts here from the news thread. Great points. The software places posts chronologically when copied to another thread. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by curiosity View Post
            I hope they considered all HCW at minimum to be low risk exposures and kept them from clinical duty until a quarantine period was over.

Please move to discussion thread. Sorry I didn't see it before posting.
            Yes, that would be the logical move. However, there's been so much emphasis on the fact that Ebola is spreading through West Africa due to a shortage of supplies, lack of PPEs, overworked providers and generally poor health care infrastructure. Is there enough respect for Ebola qua deadly viral disease?

Because none of those deficiencies apply here. Perhaps they felt the risk was negligible due to superior modern medical care. I do feel the CDC may be guilty of hubris in this regard, I hope the Spanish equivalent was not.

One thing is for certain, this is going to rattle some nerves.

Comment

Re: Discussion: Spain confirms 1st ebola case outside of Africa - health care worker who cared for dead ebola patient in Spain

Thus brings to question: What are Spain's PPE guidelines for HCW treating an Ebola case AND what is the timeline from first and last contact with patient to symptom onset.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani View Post
                Because none of those deficiencies apply here. Perhaps they felt the risk was negligible due to superior modern medical care. I do feel the CDC may be guilty of hubris in this regard, I hope the Spanish equivalent was not.

One thing is for certain, this is going to rattle some nerves.

I think we are going to learn some hard lessons before this is over.
                "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

The Spanish priest who died, died on the 12th August. Correction: BBC report says this priest died on the 25th September (so has there been more than one? I am puzzled)
                  Last edited by Vibrant62; October 6, 2014, 01:50 PM. Reason: Correction:

Comment

There was another priest, Manuel Garcia Viejo, who was a patient from Sep. 22 through Sep. 25th. in Madrid. So exposure for this nurse was 10 to 14 days ago.

Comment

Yes, there have been two priests from Spain, one in August and one in September. Both died, I think in the same hospital in Madrid (Carlos III?).

Comment

First priest was Father Miguel Pajares.
                        "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

So it appears that they are taking the newly diagnosed nurse to Madrid to be treated, where the two priests were cared for. Unfortunately, although she was on leave for the last few days, she apparently wasn't really being monitored, considering she's had symptoms for nearly a week! It sounds also like she has skin lesions, so that confirms that she's not in the very earliest stages of the illness, also.

Was there no protocols for health care givers, or did she ignore it? I am finding this all somewhat unbelievable.

I am in agreement with MHSC. We are going to learn some hard lessons before this is over.

Comment

I think this has to do with confusing syntax .. no confirm of nurse death

[Am tracking down twitter chatter that this nurse has died - looking to confirm]
                            Nika

Comment

Machine translation

Health infected by Ebola entered twice in the room Viejo Manuel Garcia, one after the death of the religious, explained Antonio Alemany, CEO of Primary Care in the Community of Madrid, who appeared alongside Minister Health.

The nursing assistant took just a day after the death of Garc?a Viejo vacation, and in that situation was until today, added the high health cost. He started presenting symptoms on September 30, and went to the Service of Occupational Risks, which decided their income in yesterday. Today is stable and its only symptom is a high fever.

Comment

Working...
                              X