Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Health Care Worker - Ms. Pham - Tests Positive for Ebola: Hospital - now virus free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Health Care Worker - Ms. Pham - Tests Positive for Ebola: Hospital - now virus free

Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola: Hospital
    A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where an Ebola patient died last week, has tested positive for the virus after a preliminary test, the hospital said early Sunday in a statement.
    A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola in a preliminary test, officials said.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola: Hospital

Texas Patient Tests Positive for Ebola
    News Release
    Oct. 12, 2014

Texas Patient Tests Positive for Ebola

A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who provided care for the Ebola patient hospitalized there has tested positive for Ebola in a preliminary test at the state public health laboratory in Austin. Confirmatory testing will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The health care worker reported a low grade fever Friday night and was isolated and referred for testing. The preliminary ​test result was received late Saturday.

"We knew a second case could be a reality, and we've been preparing for this possibility," said Dr. David Lakey, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services. "We are broadening our team in Dallas and working with extreme diligence to prevent further spread."

Health officials have interviewed the patient and are identifying any contacts or potential exposures. People who had contact with the health care worker after symptoms emerged will be monitored based on the nature of their interactions and the potential they were exposed to the virus.

Ebola is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids of a sick person or exposure to contaminated objects such as needles. People are not contagious before symptoms such as fever develop.

-30-​

(News Media Contact: Carrie Williams, carrie.williams@dshs.state.tx.us, 512-776-7119)​

Last updated October 12, 2014
    News ReleaseOct. 12, 2014A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who provided care for the Ebola patient hospitalized there has tested positive for Ebola in a preliminary test at the state public health laboratory in Austin. Confirmatory testing will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.The health care worker reported a low grade fever Friday night and was isolated and referred for testing. The preliminary ?test result was received late Saturday.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Graupel has asked a very pertinent question on another thread. Did this result from the first or second time that Mr. Duncan went to hospital?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronan Kelly View Post
        Graupel has asked a very pertinent question on another thread. Did this result from the first or second time that Mr. Duncan went to hospital?
        Yes there are basically two groups. Those who interacted with the index case using PPE and those who did not. If the former it is a much bigger problem because it implies a weakness in the infection control protocols which will need to be found and addressed. This could take time as it may not be possible to know where the weakness is without more data, which may mean more cases. The other bit of information it would be good to have is if the new case came from within the high risk monitored contacts group, again if not this implies a weakness in the contact tracing procedure.

Comment

CNN says on its television outlet that there will be a news conference in one hour in Texas. I think there will be several live feeds. I think CNN will be covering live.

Also, CNN is announcing that the CDC will make a comment later today.

Comment

I fear the information management here is going to be counter productive. Waiting to announce that someone was tested and positive, without saying anything at the point they were symptomatic and in need of a confirmatory test, is not going to inspire public confidence that things are not being covered up. I understand why they did it I am just not sure it was their best course of action. At this stage of the game perception is probably as important as reality and conspiracy theorists don't need a lot to work with.

Comment

It will be informative to see exactly what his/her exposure was. This case had onset the evening of October 10.

If the exposure is on the evening of September 25th into the 26th, when Duncan was misdiagnosed and sent home, the incubation period is 14-15 days. If the exposure is at admission on the 28th, it's 12 days. Either one of those would be longer than average for Ebola (where the average is 7-10 days) but quite possible.

Alternatively, it could be an exposure in the past 7-10 days, after the isolation of the patient, due a PPE breach, a happened in Madrid.

We shall see soon.

Comment

Lisa Schnirring ‏@lisaschnirring 11m 11 minutes ago
                Looks like Dallas ABC affiliate WFAA will be broadcasting 7:30 am (CST) news conference on #Ebola in HCW http://bit.ly/1EKKnAK

Comment

I'm watching the press conference now on CNN.

They have stated that all 48 previous contacts are still asymptomatic. This appears to mean, IMO, that this might have been a breakdown in isolation after September 28.

Comment

Conference now states that this was not one of the previous contacts, and not a previously recognized "high risk" contact.

Person was reportedly wearing PPE at time of contact.

Comment

was an undefined in-hospital contact on 2nd visit - they refuse to say if it is a HCW or a support person - unless I missed that. Much crucial information was hidden behind the HIPAA veil just now.
                      Nika

Comment

My notes. Please read from bottom up:

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 16s 17 seconds ago
                        Lost feed...conference over?

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 3m 3 minutes ago
                        Varga: This patient did not work last 2 days. Has been doing self monitoring via temperature since Duncan contact. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 4m 4 minutes ago
                        Varga: This patients was wearing PPE per CDC directions when in contact with Duncan. Very concerned that this worker was infected. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 6m 6 minutes ago
                        Varga: Health care worker infected in Duncan's 2nd hospital visit. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 7m 7 minutes ago
                        Rawlings: Had an #ebola plan in place in case secondary Duncan contacts became infected.

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 8m 8 minutes ago
                        Rawlings: Isolated patient's car. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 8m 8 minutes ago
                        Rawlings: Pet in patient's apt. Will check and take care of pet. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 9m 9 minutes ago
                        Rawlings: Dallas hazmat team has cleaned up an apartment area + contacted residents w/info + locked patient's apt. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 11m 11 minutes ago
                        Dallas Mayor Rawlings: Reassuring public. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 12m 12 minutes ago
                        Jenkins: 48 in Duncan monitoring pool remain asymptomatic at this time. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 12m 12 minutes ago
                        Jenkins: PCR test of #ebola patient has not been confirmed by CDC but confident it will be.

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 13m 13 minutes ago
                        Jenkins: CDC will be assisting w/ 48 people in Duncan monitoring pool. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 14m 14 minutes ago
                        Varga: #Ebola patient is in stable condition.

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 15m 15 minutes ago
                        Varga: Hospital is on emergency dept diversion at this time. #ebola

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 15m 15 minutes ago
                        Dr. Varga: #Ebola test + last night on health care worker who treated Mr. Duncan. 1 family member also placed in isolation.

FluTrackers.com @FluTrackers ? 19m 19 minutes ago
                        Jenkins: Texas #Ebola Health care worker wants privacy and no name release.

Comment

That's terrible for the case-patient. I can only hope this forces a serious reconsideration about exactly how 'sure' everyone is, especially if this patient wasn't even on the list of possible contacts.... 'tried and true" indeed. If they are on the list , perhaps....

"In this country, we have health care infection control and public health systems that are tried and true and will stop before there's any widespread transmission. The core of that, the way to stop Ebola in its tracks is contact tracing, and follow-up."

- Tom Frieden Oct 4.

Comment

CNN is reporting this patient is a female nurse.

Comment

So just to be clear - this (and I assume other staff) wore droplet precaution level PPE

such as:

There is also ENHANCED droplet precaution PPE and procedures - here is a PDF reviewing this next level of safety:

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/extranet/ipc/f...v1309-5.31.pdf

So it would be nice to know which sort was used in this case
                              Nika

Comment

Working...
                              X