Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adenovirus 14 Reported At Lackland (June 2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adenovirus 14 Reported At Lackland (June 2007)

Rare Strain Of Flu Reported At Lackland

POSTED: 7:16 pm CDT June 11, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- Lackland Air Force Base reported Monday that 100 people have tested positive for a rare strain of "boot camp flu".

Air Force officials alerted the centers for disease control that since March 1, 100 people had been infected with Adenovirus 14.

Doctors said that there are few published reports of the strain.

Over the years, other strains such as Adenovirus 4 and 7 are more commonly reported at military bases, doctors said.

Officials said 29 trainees are currently on bed rest, but there were nearly 60 recovering from the flu two weeks ago.

Brig. Gen. Darrell Jones said he's not concerned, but several precautionary measures are being taken at the base.

"When trainees exhibit any symptoms -- headaches, fever, sore throat, cough -- we put them on bed rest," Jones said. "The average person stays there about 2 1/2 days."

Jones said they're also making sure people wash their hands to avoid passing on the virus.

Jones said the number of people being treated for the virus has decreased.

The page you're trying to access could not be found or is no longer available.

credits Murdoch133
    ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: Rare Strain Of Adenovirus Reported At Lackland

Another headline and story
    "CDC Investigates Boot Camp Flu"
    San Antonio's News, Traffic and Weather Station. Featuring Charlie Parker, Mr. T, Chris Duel, Charity McCurdy, Joe Pags, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Clay Travis, Buck Sexton, Michael Berry and Jesse Kelly. Listen to Spurs basketball and Texas Longhorns football on WOAI. An iHeartRadio station.

The involvement of the CDC in an Air Force base is interesting and I believe must be part of the new rules of cooperation. When I worked n San Antonio as recently as 2002 it would not have occurred to the military authorities to involve civilians (CDC). Recall in 2003 that when the Dept of Defense detected (falsely) anthrax in a letter in the Washington DC area, that DOD did not notify local health officials until days later.

Good now to see different branches of government working together.
    Last edited by Thornton; June 12, 2007, 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

CDC-information on this virus:

?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"

Comment

More than 150 U.S. Air Force recruits have been sickened by a flu sweeping Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. Nine airmen were hospitalized last month and about 150 more took ill at Lackland. Many of those sickened had the rare adenovirus type 14 strain known as "boot camp flu." The viral strain, which is rare outside the close quarters of boot camp, has many of the same symptoms as standard flu. However, it carries a high risk of pneumonia, especially among worn-out recruits. An outbreak of the virus in May sickened about 100 airmen. Airman Paige Renee Villers died of pneumonia Aug. 7.)

Comment

Originally posted by yielddude View Post
          More than 150 U.S. Air Force recruits have been sickened by a flu sweeping Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. Nine airmen were hospitalized last month and about 150 more took ill at Lackland. Many of those sickened had the rare adenovirus type 14 strain known as "boot camp flu." The viral strain, which is rare outside the close quarters of boot camp, has many of the same symptoms as standard flu. However, it carries a high risk of pneumonia, especially among worn-out recruits. An outbreak of the virus in May sickened about 100 airmen. Airman Paige Renee Villers died of pneumonia Aug. 7.)

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert...t=dis&lang=eng
          Link to newssource

'Boot camp flu' strikes Texas air base

September 24, 2007, 09:51 AM

SAN ANTONIO, Sept. 24 (UPI) — More than 150 U.S. Air Force recruits have been sickened by a flu sweeping Lackland Air Force Base in Texas.

Nine airmen were hospitalized last month and about 150 more took ill at Lackland, The San Antonio Express-News reported Sunday.

Many of those sickened had the rare adenovirus type 14 strain known as boot camp flu, the newspaper said.

The viral strain, which is rare outside the close quarters of boot camp, has many of the same symptoms as standard flu. However, it carries a high risk of pneumonia, especially among worn-out recruits.

An outbreak of the virus in May sickened about 100 airmen. Airman Paige Renee Villers died of pneumonia Aug. 7.

Copyright © 2007 by United Press International

Edit, more details:

Comment

Originally posted by yielddude View Post
            ...The viral strain, which is rare outside the close quarters of boot camp, has many of the same symptoms as standard flu. However, it carries a high risk of pneumonia, especially among worn-out recruits...
            Sounds just like what I had when I was in basic training at Lackland - in 1977.

I was extremely sick at Lackland but it was my last couple days and I wanted OFF that base with the rest of my flight. I was running a high fever but sucked on ice cubes to fake out the thermometer. The hospital staff figured out exactly what I did and said I could walk back to my flight since I was feeling "so good." It was a black flag day (too hot to work outside) but I went back and was then sick, sick, sick. The next day, I got on the bus and shipped out to my technical training school where I was promptly hospitalized upon arrival.

Any questions on why this gets spread so easily?

Comment

Re: Adenovirus 14 Reported At Lackland

All adenoviruses are contagious.

Standard sanitary precautions can help.

Hand Washing

Hand Washing Materials

Why should I wash my hands?

Washing your hands is one of the most important things you and your family can do to prevent illness.

Clean hands can help protect you from infectious and food-borne illnesses. If you get sick, it can keep you from passing your illness to others.

Hand washing protects your health by helping to remove dirt and germs that get on your hands during almost any activity.

If you don't wash your hands, the germs on your hands can get into your mouth, nose, eyes, cuts and scrapes, even your food, and make you sick.

But my hands look clean!

Even though your hands may look clean they can still have dirt and germs on them. Germs are too small to see with the human eye. They can only be seen through a microscope.

When should I wash my hands?

Wash your hands BEFORE:
              • Eating
              • Feeding Children, The Ill or Elderly
              • Touching Foods - Especially Foods That Won't Be Cooked
              • Cooking Food
              • Touching or Bandaging a Cut or Scrape
              • Inserting or Removing Contact Lenses
              • Taking Care of a Sick Person
              Wash your hands AFTER:
              • Eating
              • Working
              • Playing
              • Touching Animals
              • Touching Foods - Especially Raw Meat, Poultry, Fish and Eggs
              • Using The Bathroom or Helping Others in the Bathroom
              • Changing Diapers
              • Cleaning Up Animal Feces
              • Coughing, Sneezing or Blowing Your Nose
              • Taking Care of a Sick Person
              • Touching Blood or Other Body Fluids
              • Touching Cuts, Sores or Rashes
              • Cleaning The House
              • Handling Garbage
              What is the right way to wash my hands?

Wash your hands with running water and soap for at least 15 seconds.
              • The water should be running. Moving water helps remove dirt and germs. Standing water allows dirt and germs that were washed off to get back onto your hands.
              • Your hands should be under the stream of water so the front and back, and as far up to your wrists as possible, get wet.
              • The water should be comfortable to the touch. If the water is too hot, you can burn yourself. If it is too cold, the dirt and germs may not get washed off.
              Get soap all over your hands
              • Include the fronts and backs of your hands and as far up your wrists as you can get.
              • You can use any kind of soap.
              Take your hands out from under the water and rub your hands together to make a lather. Do this for at least 15 seconds.
              The lather should cover the front and back of your hands and your wrists.
              • Work hard on the areas between the fingers and under the nails where the dirt hides.
              • You can use a sponge or cloth to help get the dirt off, but do not use the same cloth or sponge to wash more than one person's hands. Wash sponges or cloths regularly.
              Rinse your hands.
              • The water should run back into the sink, not down your arms.
              Dry your hands completely, using a clean towel.
              • Use paper towels or air dryers in places where there are a lot of people.

Also, since the virus can live for approximately 48 hours on surfaces, it is important to wipe down door knobs, toliet knobs, tv remotes, etc. with rubbing alcohol or other sterilizer.

Comment

Re: Adenovirus 14 Reported At Lackland

Link to current CDC info and related papers on Ad 14:

Comment

Re: Adenovirus 14 Reported At Lackland (June 2007)

This thread has attracted a great deal of traffic, which I suspect is due to some rumor that the recruits have a mystery "flu". However, it should be noted that adenovirus is NOT an influenza virus (single stranded RNA virus). It is a double stranded DNA virus that frequently causes colds.

However, in the general population, this cold virus is causing pneumonia and deaths, which is cause for concern (out of 36 patients, 27 were hospitalized, and of these, 20 moved to the ICU, and of these 9 died generating a case fatality rate of 25%).

Comment

This thread has attracted a great deal of traffic because when you google adenovirus 14 you get this thread as the number 1 entry.

Most state health departments in the U.S. have been here today, including the CDC and others. Also, many academic institutions have logged straight onto this thread today.

Comment

Commentary

Comment

Commentary

Adenovirus Serotype 14 Fatal Colds Due to Recombinant?

Recombinomics Commentary
                        November 16, 2007

Adenovirus serotype 14 (Ad14) is a rarely reported but emerging serotype of adenovirus that can cause severe and sometimes fatal respiratory illness in patients of all ages, including healthy young adults.

Ad14 isolates from all four states were identical by sequence data from the full hexon and fiber genes. However, the isolates were distinct from the Ad14 reference strain from 1955, suggesting the emergence and spread of a new Ad14 variant in the United States.

The above comments in this week?s MMWR in the report entitled ?Acute Respiratory Disease Associated with Adenovirus Serotype 14 ? Four States 2006-2007? raise questions about the genetic changes in the Ad14 variant.

Most of the cases described in the report involve recruits at Lackland Air Force base in Texas where 106 recruits tested positive for Ad14 between February and June of this year. 27 were hospitalized and 5 of those patients were moved to the ICU where 1 died. The death of a young (19M) recruit from adenovirus is cause for concern.

A related report, described the appearance of Ad14 at multiple military bases in 2006. 10 of these cases are detailed by the San Diego site at the National Service for Emerging Adenovirus Infections website. The cases (at Fort Benning in Georgia, Great Lakes in Illinois, MCRD in San Diego) are listed at the site and are also referenced in a publication entitled, ?Abrupt emergence of diverse species B1 and B2 adenovirus in US military recruit training centers? which describes the recent appearance of Ad14 at multiple military sites.

In addition, the MMWR report indicates infections at Lackland are continuing among recruits, as well as nurses treating the recruits, and recruits at other bases in Texas.

However, in addition to the spread of Ad14 at military sites, the MMWR describes infections in civilians in Oregon, Washington State, and New York. Most of these cases were in Oregon, where 31 cases were identified. Of these, 22 were hospitalized and 16 were transferred to the ICU where 7 died. At the other two sites, 2 of 5 patients died (one also had HIV and one was a newborn). Thus, 9 of the 36 patients infected with AD14 died, producing a case fatality rate of 25%. In Oregon, the median age of the fatal cases was 63.6 years.

The number of Ad14 cases in the general population is not clear. Although the 15 centers have been testing patients, the number of cases tested has been limited, and the serotypes detected at the centers have regional distributions, indicating the testing is far from comprehensive and pockets of Ad14 infections may be undiagnosed. The announcement in the MMWR should lead to the identification of more suspect cases.

The changes in the Ad14 sequence should be of interest. Adenovirus evolves via homologous recombination, and the report on the military sites noted the high frequency of dual or triple adenovirus infections, which are required for homologous recombination.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Adenovirus 14 Sequences at Genbank

Comment

Working...
                          X