NZ: Expert to speak tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ: Expert to speak tonight.

The Spectre of a Flu Pandemic. Is it Inevitable?

A free lecture by Lance Jennings tonight at the Rolleston Lecture Theatre, Christchurch School of Medicine, Riccarton Avenue.

Wednesday 19 April, 7.30pm. Free entry.

More information is available in The Press, page 4
    Last edited by Sally Furniss; April 18, 2006, 05:49 PM.

Re: NZ: Expert to speak tonight.

Ohh, AnneZ, I would go,

but, but, once FirmlyZZZ learned me, that when you are in NZ, you are in the Future and when you come back in NA, you get back to the past.

Presently I am confused.

May, you then realy us any pertinent and relevant info to us who cant go to the future right now, sticking to the present, wich is your past of course but as stated it would be great if you past along your present from the future to us here in your past, but our past is our present for you.

Or something like that,

Boy am I confuse..

The Southern Wind is melting my Igloo and I feel the heat.
    Last edited by Sally Furniss; June 25, 2006, 06:22 AM.

Comment

I will go to the lecture tonight and i'll will relay the news to you but by the time you get it the news it will be old.

Comment

See, see, you get me more confuse, still I like old news.

I have manage to fix an old radio the other day, I plugged it and I have learned that the Beatles split.

So old news give some updates, somtimes.

Thanks, waiting for those old news of tomorrow.
        Last edited by Sally Furniss; May 16, 2006, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I have no radio or TV; what are the beatles? Is this a new recombination that's occurred? There are now more than one clade? Are they infectious?

Comment

Thanks.I will be interested to see whether or not this event will get wide reportage.The family went to the Domain here in Auck. last weekend and all the resident ducks in the pond have been removed.Hmmmm...I will check out Western Springs shortly.If all the swans and ducks are removed from there as well,it will tell us something.
            Last edited by Sally Furniss; May 16, 2006, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Reporting back, at last.
              I have seen no reports in the papers about the talk.It was part a series put on weekly.
              I'll post information from the talk here, over the next wee while.
              Last edited by Sally Furniss; October 2, 2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Giddy, you are all definitely giddy. Whatever it is I want some. LOL

Now on to more sobering thoughts. What are the prognostications? Every time I think I can take a breather something untoward happens. Between the tainted meat in Romania, and the cluster in Indonesia I could use a giggle. But I don't think I am going to get one. Maybe this expert has a new twist that makes me thing this won't continue to mutate.
                Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                Thank you,
                Shannon Bennett

Comment

One question asked at the talk was

" Why does the NZ pandemic Pamphlet suggest one to two weeks supplies when a wave is likely to last 6-8 weeks"

Jenning pointed out that mnay people couldn't afford to buy that much food in one go. He suggested that people put aside a sack of rice and a bag of beans to be given away if needed

Comment

How big a sack of rice and and bag of beans? 50 pounds? 100 pounds? Preps don't need to cost the earth, moon and sky. They only need to get you through 2/3 months of isolation. A couple of bottles of vitamin pills, 3 cases of tomatoes and ,those bags of beans, rice, corn and lard and you are covered. It isn't pretty, and it isn't "good eats" but it will keep you from exposing yourself to the flu and then infecting your family. Where does it say in the manuel that you have to eat gourmet meals every night? Plant a garden, eat cheap and survive.
                    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                    Thank you,
                    Shannon Bennett

Comment

A bit of background on Dr Lance Jennings available here and a list of papers he has written.

he also worked on the H5N1 Hanoi outbreak and had this to say about it when the outbreak was occuring "the bird flu virus in Vietnam is beginning to adapt to humans" http://www.lenduong.net/article.php3?id_article=14216

Comment

Dr Jennings on host range.

Found in tigers, martens cats and pigs, but no experimental transmission to pigs

Also transmission to seals from ducks.

Comment

Dr Jennings mentioned that there were 2 clades.
                          1 is Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand.
                          1 is Indonesia.

1 clade is resistant to amantadine, Dr Jennings did not say which one.

With regard to general flu 0.4% is resistant to tamiflu in Japan.

Comment

No indication on size of sack, but in NZ a sack is usually 25 kilos.
                            The usual ratio of grains to beans is 4:1

Originally posted by Shannon
                            How big a sack of rice and and bag of beans? 50 pounds? 100 pounds? Preps don't need to cost the earth, moon and sky. They only need to get you through 2/3 months of isolation. A couple of bottles of vitamin pills, 3 cases of tomatoes and ,those bags of beans, rice, corn and lard and you are covered. It isn't pretty, and it isn't "good eats" but it will keep you from exposing yourself to the flu and then infecting your family. Where does it say in the manuel that you have to eat gourmet meals every night? Plant a garden, eat cheap and survive.

Comment

Dr Jennings spoke briefly about the 2002 New Zealand pandemic exercise: Operation Virex. I have expanded it using the link below.

The operation was based on a worst case scenario (1918) of an attack rate of 40% over 8 weeks.

There were five stages to the scenario. Each stage presented challenges to the participants. The scenario was developed around the WHO – Pandemic Alert Levels and the New Zealand Influenza Pandemic Plan.

Stage 1.

Media release 1: WHO reporting new virus, NZ health authorities put on alert.

Media release 2: Background information regarding past pandemics published in newspapers.

Media release 3:
                              The World Health Organization (WHO) today received reports from the Wellsun Health Department and the Wellsun National Influenza Center about an influenza-like illness-affecting people in a large city in the country of Wellsun. Wellsun is the world's most populous country. WHO experts are extremely concerned about these reports as they follow four years of unusually low influenza activity.

The Tokyo Collaborating Centre for Influenza is currently investigating these reports in collaboration with the Wellsun National Influenza Center and WHO – Western Pacific Regional Office.

WHO has also received a report that flocks of chickens in Wellsun have been affected by an undiagnosed illness associated with a high mortality. The circumstances are so similar to the 1997 ‘Chicken Flu’ outbreak in Hong Kong, that the possibility of an A (H5N1) virus or another new influenza virus emerging and causing human disease cannot be discounted. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta has been requested to investigate this situation.

Media release 4:
                              An influenza A virus has been isolated in Hong Kong from a 40 year-old female patient and identified by the Tokyo Collaborating Centre for Influenza as being similar to the avian Influenza A (H5N1) virus. She died following admission to intensive care with severe symptoms of influenza and respiratory failure at the Wellsunese University Hospital in Hong Kong on 31 December 2001. The woman had been ill with influenza-like symptoms for two days before arriving in the country from mainland Wellsun on 26 December 2001. Reports from the Hong Kong Health Department indicate no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission at this stage. Surveillance in Hong Kong has been increased.

Meanwhile the WHO (Geneva) has been informed of this new strain and has activated their Pandemic Taskforce.

Later the same day, the Tokyo Collaborating Center confirmed a second identification of the new virus among samples forwarded by the Wellsun National Influenza Center in Wellsun.

Following international consultation, the WHO Pandemic Taskforce declared a Pandemic Alert: Phase 0 Preparedness level 2 (two or more human infections have occurred with a new virus sub-type).

Countries around the world, including New Zealand, have been asked to assist the WHO authorities by activating their surveillance networks and increasing the level of preparedness to identify human infection by this new strain. New Zealand's Ministry of Health has alerted the National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC), headed by Christchurch virologist Lance Jennings, to the potentially serious events in Wellsun. The NPPC has established liaison with the WHO and the Australian Influenza Pandemic Planning Committee (IPPC) of the Communicable Diseases Network of Australia (CDNA). Day to day collation of information is to be carried out by the National Influenza Center at ESR.

On 4 January 2002 the Hong Kong Health Department released surveillance data that indicates the rapid spread of influenza in two Hong Kong districts. Patients suffering influenza-like symptoms are being admitted to hospitals in increasing numbers; and a number of people with these symptoms have died.

The Tokyo Collaborating Centre has now confirmed ten influenza isolates as the A/Wellsun/1/01 (H5N1) virus. Three Hong Kong isolates were from ICU nursing staff who developed symptoms following the death of the 40-year-old female patient, who had travelled from Wellsun, providing laboratory confirmation that human-to-human transmission of the A/Wellsun virus is occurring. The WHO announces that the Pandemic Alert has been raised to Preparedness Level 3.

The situation continues to worsen, but so far the new virus is contained in Wellsun and Hong Kong. A WHO/CDC team is now assisting Hong Kong with enhanced surveillance and is organising special epidemiological investigations to assess the impact of this virus on the human population. Virus strains have been distributed to the London, Atlanta and Melbourne WHO Influenza Collaborating Centres for research, diagnostic reagent preparation and vaccine candidate strain development.

The WHO has developed a case definition to be used in surveillance for the A/Wellsun virus and has distributed diagnostic criteria to worldwide public health agencies including the New Zealand Ministry of Health.

Following a meeting in Wellington on January 16 the NPPC has stepped up its level of activity as outlined in the New Zealand Influenza Pandemic Action Plan. It has also continued enhanced surveillance around all international ports of entry to New Zealand. A briefing to the Minister of Health, Annette King, is being prepared regarding the possible declaration of an influenza pandemic alert. The Ministry of Health is updating its website (www.moh.govt.nz) with the latest information regarding the A/Wellsun virus.

Newspapers in Hong Kong have been leading with reports of the virus and deaths related to the virus for the last week. They are reporting a 40 percent mortality rate among patients hospitalised with influenza. The interest of the international media is picking up momentum.

Evidence received on the 20 January of further spread to Singapore has caused the WHO to raise the level of preparedness to Phase 1 and declare the onset of a new pandemic. In response the NPPC has been called to the Ministry of Health in Wellington to teleconference with the DHB Emergency Management teams to advise on national control strategies to manage the predicted impact of the A/Wellsun influenza virus.

Stage 2.

Media release 1:

EXERCISE ONLY

Notional Media Release

16 January 2002

MOH and NPPC prepared for international influenza pandemic

New Zealand's top health officials representing District Health Boards, Public Health services, the Ministry of Health and National Pandemic Planning Committee today discussed how New Zealand would respond to the worldwide influenza pandemic.

On 4 January the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a global influenza pandemic alert after confirming human-to-human transmission of the novel A/Wellsun virus.

National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC) chairman Dr Lance Jennings said worldwide surveillance reports have indicated a rapid spread of this new influenza virus through Wellsun, Hong Kong and the greater Asian area.

"The NPPC has carefully monitored the international spread of this virus. National control strategies are already in place to detect its appearance in New Zealand and reduce its impact on New Zealanders and health services.

An enhanced surveillance system is operating to detect influenza activity nationwide. Throat and pernasal swabs are being taken from patients presenting to general practitioners with an influenza-like illness.

“Swabs are then tested by the regional virus laboratories for the presence of the influenza virus. Influenza viruses found are typed and those that cannot be identified or are suspected to be A/Wellsun-like will be referred urgently to the WHO Collaborating Centre in Melbourne.”

Following the distribution of the WHO case definitions, doctors are being asked to watch for unusual respiratory conditions among their patients. As of today, there have been no confirmed cases of influenza in New Zealand.

Dr Jennings said District Health Board emergency teams and the Ministry of Health had steps in place to reduce the impact of the A/Wellsun virus should it reach New Zealand.

“Planning is underway for the mobilisation of national and local services should this be necessary. “

Media release 2:

Hong Kong SAR, 3 January 2002

An influenza A virus has been isolated in Hong Kong from a 40 year-old female patient and identified by the Tokyo Collaborating Centre for Influenza as being similar to the avian Influenza A (H5N1) virus. She died following admission to intensive care with severe symptoms of influenza and respiratory failure at the Wellsunese University Hospital in Hong Kong on 31 December 2001. The woman had been ill with influenza-like symptoms for two days before arriving in the country from mainland Wellsun on 26 December 2001. Reports from the Hong Kong Health Department indicate no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission at this stage. Surveillance in Hong Kong has been increased.

Meanwhile the WHO (Geneva) has been informed of this new strain and has activated their Pandemic Taskforce.

Later the same day, the Tokyo Collaborating Center confirmed a second identification of the new virus among samples forwarded by the Wellsun National Influenza Center in Wellsun.

Following international consultation, the WHO Pandemic Taskforce declared a Pandemic Alert: Phase 0 Preparedness level 2 (two or more human infections have occurred with a new virus sub-type).

Countries around the world, including New Zealand, have been asked to assist the WHO authorities by activating their surveillance networks and increasing the level of preparedness to identify human infection by this new strain. New Zealand's Ministry of Health has alerted the National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC), headed by Christchurch virologist Lance Jennings, to the potentially serious events in Wellsun. The NPPC has established liaison with the WHO and the Australian Influenza Pandemic Planning Committee (IPPC) of the Communicable Diseases Network of Australia (CDNA). Day to day collation of information is to be carried out by the National Influenza Center at ESR.

On 4 January 2002 the Hong Kong Health Department released surveillance data that indicates the rapid spread of influenza in two Hong Kong districts. Patients suffering influenza-like symptoms are being admitted to hospitals in increasing numbers; and a number of people with these symptoms have died.

The Tokyo Collaborating Centre has now confirmed ten influenza isolates as the A/Wellsun/1/01 (H5N1) virus. Three Hong Kong isolates were from ICU nursing staff who developed symptoms following the death of the 40-year-old female patient, who had travelled from Wellsun, providing laboratory confirmation that human-to-human transmission of the A/Wellsun virus is occurring. The WHO announces that the Pandemic Alert has been raised to Preparedness Level 3.

The situation continues to worsen, but so far the new virus is contained in Wellsun and Hong Kong. A WHO/CDC team is now assisting Hong Kong with enhanced surveillance and is organising special epidemiological investigations to assess the impact of this virus on the human population. Virus strains have been distributed to the London, Atlanta and Melbourne WHO Influenza Collaborating Centres for research, diagnostic reagent preparation and vaccine candidate strain development.

The WHO has developed a case definition to be used in surveillance for the A/Wellsun virus and has distributed diagnostic criteria to worldwide public health agencies including the New Zealand Ministry of Health.

Following a meeting in Wellington on January 16 the NPPC has stepped up its level of activity as outlined in the New Zealand Influenza Pandemic Action Plan. It has also continued enhanced surveillance around all international ports of entry to New Zealand. A briefing to the Minister of Health, Annette King, is being prepared regarding the possible declaration of an influenza pandemic alert. The Ministry of Health is updating its website (www.moh.govt.nz) with the latest information regarding the A/Wellsun virus.

Newspapers in Hong Kong have been leading with reports of the virus and deaths related to the virus for the last week. They are reporting a 40 percent mortality rate among patients hospitalised with influenza. The interest of the international media is picking up momentum.

Evidence received on the 20 January of further spread to Singapore has caused the WHO to raise the level of preparedness to Phase 1 and declare the onset of a new pandemic. In response the NPPC has been called to the Ministry of Health in Wellington to teleconference with the DHB Emergency Management teams to advise on national control strategies to manage the predicted impact of the A/Wellsun influenza virus.

Media release 3:

EXERCISE ONLY

Notional Media Release

16 January 2002

MOH and NPPC prepared for international influenza pandemic

New Zealand's top health officials representing District Health Boards, Public Health services, the Ministry of Health and National Pandemic Planning Committee today discussed how New Zealand would respond to the worldwide influenza pandemic.

On 4 January the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a global influenza pandemic alert after confirming human-to-human transmission of the novel A/Wellsun virus.

National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC) chairman Dr Lance Jennings said worldwide surveillance reports have indicated a rapid spread of this new influenza virus through Wellsun, Hong Kong and the greater Asian area.

"The NPPC has carefully monitored the international spread of this virus. National control strategies are already in place to detect its appearance in New Zealand and reduce its impact on New Zealanders and health services.

An enhanced surveillance system is operating to detect influenza activity nationwide. Throat and pernasal swabs are being taken from patients presenting to general practitioners with an influenza-like illness.

“Swabs are then tested by the regional virus laboratories for the presence of the influenza virus. Influenza viruses found are typed and those that cannot be identified or are suspected to be A/Wellsun-like will be referred urgently to the WHO Collaborating Centre in Melbourne.”

Following the distribution of the WHO case definitions, doctors are being asked to watch for unusual respiratory conditions among their patients. As of today, there have been no confirmed cases of influenza in New Zealand.

Dr Jennings said District Health Board emergency teams and the Ministry of Health had steps in place to reduce the impact of the A/Wellsun virus should it reach New Zealand.

“Planning is underway for the mobilisation of national and local services should this be necessary. “

Media release 4: Background

What action will be taken to control spread of the virus if a pandemic alert becomes a full pandemic?

Ongoing surveillance would allow monitoring of the spread of influenza throughout New Zealand. Once a pandemic had been declared the NPPC would review the situation and decide what action would be appropriate. Some of the options would include limiting the movement of people or stopping international flights into New Zealand to delay the arrival of the virus thus allowing more time for public health strategies to be put in place.

How soon would New Zealand have a suitable vaccine?

New Zealand is dependant on overseas suppliers of vaccines.The production of a vaccine could not start until the specific virus had firstly been grown in the laboratory then adapted for use in the manufacturing process. Development of a vaccine is a slow process and could take at least six months.

Can we stockpile the vaccine?

It is unlikely because in a pandemic situation a new virus will require a new vaccine "made to order". Between pandemics influenza viruses are constantly changing therefore vaccine content is reviewed biannually by the WHO to include the most up to date influenza strains.

Are there any other products, which may be of help?

Anti-viral drugs can assist in the prevention and treatment of influenza. For treatment they must be given early to be effective. They can also be used to protect against influenza in the short term although they are not currently licensed for this purpose in New Zealand.

Does influenza affect some people more so than others?

Between 1981 and 1997 Maori hospitalisation rates for pneumonia and influenza increased, particularly during the period 1992-1997. In 1997 Maori were three to four times more likely to be hospitalised for these illness than non-Maori. If a pandemic were to reach New Zealand it is likely the Mäori and Pacific peoples would be severely affected.

Why does the Influenza virus change?

Evolution. The virus changes the protein on its shell (or coat) to avoid detection by our immune system. Antigenic drift (minor mutations in the coat protein) is ongoing. Antigenic shift occurs when a totally new coat protein is picked up by genetic re-assortment of the virus and results in the emergence of a new pandemic virus.

Media release 4:

Sydney, Australia, 31 January 2002

The Australian surveillance network has confirmed outbreaks of influenza in the State of Victoria. A businessman, in his fifties, is believed to have been the index case. He had been in Hong Kong for six months and reported feeling ill three days after arriving in Melbourne on 3 January 2002. His wife, a Melbourne barrister, fell ill soon after.

After two weeks in Australia, spread of influenza to New South Wales has occurred and hospital admissions to in Melbourne and Sydney have increased. The World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre in Melbourne confirmed A/Wellsun as the prevalent influenza virus. Rest homes and aged care residents were hardest hit. Grabbing headlines was Woollagong's Pearl Park Rest Home, which lost twenty-six residents to the virus in one week. A distraught nurse from the rest home travels back to her Auckland home after the tragedy.

The WHO has distributed influenza diagnostic kits for the A/Wellsun virus to assist local testing. At the same time, the WHO Pandemic Taskforce is co-coordinating clinical trials of the candidate vaccine strain. This strain has also been distributed to vaccine manufacturers.

New Zealand's Ministry of Health is receiving frequent updates from the WHO on the status of the international investigations on this new virus, its spread and the development of responses to it. Spread of the virus has now been confirmed outside of Wellsun and Hong Kong, in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Singapore and Fiji. Commonwealth countries are still concerned for a senior member of the Royal Family, who has been admitted to hospital with complications resulting from influenza three days ago. In the interest of public health and influenza control all royal charity arrangements have been postponed.

Media interest is frenetic and taskforces in each country have launched coordinated efforts to ensure the public is being informed of the seriousness of the virus and how to keep safe.

New Zealand’s first cases of influenza-like illness were identified by the country’s enhanced surveillance network on January 30. An Auckland sentinel practitioner collected samples from an Australian nurse who developed an influenza like illness soon after arriving in New Zealand. ESR has confirmed her infection as the A/Wellsun virus.

This is the first confirmed identification of this virus in New Zealand.

In response, the Director-General of Health Dr Karen Poutasi, acting on behalf of Hon Annette King, Minister of Health, gave written authorisation to Medical Officers of Health to exercise special powers for the purpose of lessening the impact of an influenza pandemic.

Within one week, sentinel general practices in Central Auckland have reported 100 cases per 100,000 population, 66 cases in Papatoetoe and 50 cases in Manakau City. No reports have been received from New Zealand’s other sentinel locations.

The New Zealand public is starting to panic and there is a chance Waitangi Day celebrations on February 6 may be cancelled. The Ministry of Health's usual 0800 help line has been overloaded and it is in the process of setting up a call centre to field public inquiries.

Panic buying has occurred in pharmacies as worried New Zealanders stock up on remedies for influenza.

Prime Minister Helen Clarke made a statement to the nation on the four public television channels last night at 6pm disseminating information and an update on efforts by the National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC). AC Nielsen ratings showed 2.76 million tuned in.

The NPPC has received an analysis of recent investigations on the A/Wellsun virus from the WHO to assist in determining New Zealand's course of action to limit the impact and social disruption by this virus. The New Zealand Influenza Immunisation Strategy Group is negotiating for vaccine supplies with international vaccine distributors. This involves the Ministry of Health, NPPC and Pharmac.

Media release 5:

EXERCISE ONLY

Notional Media Release

31 January 2002

Public Health Emergency Response Activated

Director-General of Health Dr Karen Poutasi activated a public health emergency today after New Zealand's first case of influenza due to the A/Wellsun virus was identified yesterday.

Acting on behalf of Hon Annette King, Minister of Health, Dr Poutasi gave written authorisation to Medical Officers of Health to exercise special powers for the purpose of lessening the impact of an influenza pandemic.

“The authorisation will allow Medical Officers of Health the flexibility they need to be able to assess, anticipate and respond to situations as required.”

Dr Poutasi’s announcement comes as the world braces itself against the rapid spread of the new influenza virus. Indications are that this is the first influenza pandemic of the century.

It is the first time Medical Officers of Health have been authorised to use special powers since the enactment of the Health Act 1956.

“Under the Act, Medical Officers of Health ‘special powers’ could include the ability to cancel public meetings, transport services and activities and the ability to isolate towns, people or buildings.

If necessary they could also commandeer buildings, food, drugs and medical supplies for the purposes of managing the impact of the influenza pandemic.

National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC) chair Dr Lance Jennings said the Institute for Environmental and Scientific Research (ESR) had used influenza diagnostic testing kits distributed by the World Health Organization (WHO) to confirm the patient's infection was due to the novel A/Wellsun virus.

"The A/Wellsun influenza virus has reached New Zealand after a nurse working in Australia travelled to Auckland. As a result New Zealand is on a full public health alert."

Dr Jennings said the NPPC's main goal was to limit the spread and impact of this virus and today it issued public health information to all New Zealanders about the A/Wellsun virus and influenza in general.

"The Ministry of Health and the NPPC recommend members of the public restrict their regional and international travel, avoid large crowds and if they contract influenza, stay at home and keep children away from school and early childhood services. If people are at all concerned about their symptoms they should telephone or contact their local health professional in the first instance.”

Earlier this week the WHO Pandemic Task Force coordinated clinical trials for a possible vaccine. Dr Jennings warned a vaccine may not be available in New Zealand for another six months and health officials' focus had to be on reducing disruption to health and social services.

District Health Board emergency management teams are activating hospital response plans for the predicted onslaught of patients with influenza and its complications.

As is currently happening in Australia, hospitals may have to cancel elective surgery and discharge all non-acute patients to make space for patients presenting with influenza.

The Ministry of Health has set up a national phone-in hotline for people wanting information on influenza and a separate 0800 phone line has been established featuring a recorded message advising people what to do.

Similar information can also be found on the Ministry of Health website http://www.moh.govt.nz and fact sheets like the one below will be distributed tomorrow in pharmacies and health care facilities providing information on the new virus, its symptoms, dangers and measures to be taken.

Stage 3.

The exercise was undertaken to test key components of the communications system:

* Preferred communications (email)
                              * Backup communications – fax, telephone and cell phone
                              * Checking transmission and receipt times between links

Stage 4.

EXERCISE ONLY

Media Release 1:

5 February 2002

Influenza in New Zealand on the increase

In the week after New Zealand's first case of A/Wellsun influenza was confirmed there have been hundreds of cases of influenza-like illness reported in Auckland.

General practices taking part in surveillance in the central Auckland region have reported 100 cases per 100,000 population, 66 cases in Papatoetoe and 50 cases in Manukau City.

No reports have been made from New Zealand's other surveillance locations, however, National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC) chair Dr Lance Jennings said the rest of the country could not afford to be complacent.

"The pandemic has been deadly in Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Singapore and Fiji. After apparently entering New Zealand through Auckland International Airport, it is likely this disease will gradually spread south."

In preparation for the spread of the virus the Ministry of Health has recommended public gatherings should be suspended including tomorrow’s Waitangi Day celebrations.

It has also requested District Health Boards regularly report to the Ministry of Health on staffing levels and bed capacity.

A number of hospitals are putting retired doctors on stand-by in anticipation for the public’s increased demand for medical consultation.

District Health Boards are liaising with the primary health care sector for the same reasons.

“We want to ensure New Zealanders have access to a health professional during what is obviously a nervous time for most families.”

Antiviral drugs are the best treatment for influenza infections; however, these drugs are limited in supply.

The Ministry of Health and Pharmac are discussing how best to fund and distribute these anti-viral drugs. Dr Jennings hopes the stockpiles of anti-virals in New Zealand would meet expected public demand before a vaccine against the new virus became available.

Meanwhile, community pharmacists have reported an increased demand for home treatments such as simple linctus and anti-pyretics.

The Ministry of Health has continued to operate a national phone-in hotline for people wanting information and a separate 0800 phone line has been established featuring a recorded message advising people what to do.

Media release 2:

New Zealand 12 February 2002

Two New Zealand events have been threatened by the influenza pandemic. Over 40,000 people are expected to either perform at or visit the Aotearoa Traditional Performing Arts Festival at Orakei Marae in Auckland, from February 21 to 24, and hundreds of thousands of people will converge in Wellington from February 22 for the month-long New Zealand International Festival of the Arts. The sentinel surveillance network is reporting epidemic levels of activity in the Auckland region (>/= 400 cases per 100,000 population) and increased influenza activity throughout the rest of New Zealand.

The world Health Organization (WHO) confirmed on 20 January 2002 the onset of an influenza pandemic worldwide. This is the first pandemic of the century. Last century there were three pandemics, the first and most devastating occurred in 1918-19 followed by the pandemics of 1957-58 and 1968-69. Attack rates have not reached the levels of the previous pandemics as yet, however, the world is poised for catastrophic results by today's standards.

Recommendations have been made by WHO regarding influenza vaccine production, distribution and its use. The first doses of the vaccine have arrived and are being distributed throughout New Zealand, however, stocks are extremely limited. Guidance on treatment for influenza has been made available both internationally and nationally. Questions are already being asked whether there will be enough anti-viral drugs to go around.

The media has reported that New Zealanders are visiting their doctors in droves. Some grow quite aggressive in their demands for vaccine or anti-viral drugs. Some doctors feel threatened, most feel helpless.

The National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC) has continued to oversee implementation of New Zealand’s Action Plan and is currently providing advice on who should be vaccinated.

The NPPC is in constant liaison with the Australian Influenza Pandemic Planning Committee, which recently decided to cancel the Tri-Nations Cricket Series between Australia, the United Kingdom and India to be held in

Australia. The economic impact on Australia has been huge. Over 12 million people worldwide would have tuned in to watch the event, which boasts multi-million dollar sponsorship. Australia is reeling in the downturn.

Today the NPPC and local Medical Officers of Health were called to the Ministry of Health urgently to discuss the possibility of cancelling the Aotea Maori Arts Festival and the New Zealand International Festival of the Arts in Wellington in the interest of public health and influenza control. International media interest has started to focus on New Zealand's situation and is advising travellers not to come here. The tourism sector is starting to feel the pinch. Australia, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom are in the same situation.

Cases of influenza-like illness have been reported in the major New Zealand cities and spread to rural areas is now occurring. Many elderly have died from influenza-related complications. The New Zealand public is learning what a ruthless illness influenza can be and has already mourned the loss of two former All Blacks. Casting a great sadness over the nation today was a report that a prominent New Zealander has been admitted to Middlemore Hospital presenting with severe influenza-like symptoms.

Many hospitals are starting to bulge at the seams with more and more people presenting with influenza-like symptoms. Many younger, normally fit and healthy people are being turned away to recuperate at home. Where possible hospitals are still taking people at greatest risk of developing complications and dying.

Adding to the disruption is the increasing number of health professionals unable to work after succumbing to influenza. By 9 February almost 30 percent of New Zealand’s health care workforce had been forced to stay at home to recuperate. That figure had leapt to 50 percent by today, February 12. Total disruption of all regular hospital surgical and other procedures now exists throughout New Zealand.

The tiny North Island East Coast town of Tolaga Bay has been hard hit by the virus with the loss of many elders following a large gathering for a tangi earlier in the month. One of the mourners was from Australia.

Media release 3:

EXERCISE ONLY

12 February 2002

Vaccine against A/Wellsun virus available

The first doses of a vaccine against the pandemic A/Wellsun influenza strain sweeping through New Zealand are being distributed.

National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC) chair Dr Lance Jennings said stocks of the influenza vaccine being distributed internationally by the World Health Organisation are limited.

"The need to keep health and other essential services running will mean some groups will take priority for receiving the vaccine."

The Ministry of Health and the NPPC have prioritised vaccinations for health care staff who have patient contact, including ambulance staff and staff in aged care residential homes.

The decision on who to vaccinate was made after reviewing epidemiological data available. This data shows whom the A/Wellsun virus is affecting.

People at risk of dying from complications as a result of the influenza virus, for example people with chronic respiratory problems, heart disease, renal failure or diabetes, will also be prioritised.

The vaccine arrived in the country as reported cases of influenza-like illness in New Zealand continues to grow in all the major cities. Spread to rural areas is now occurring.

Around 50 percent of the total health workforce has been forced to stay at home after succumbing to influenza adding to an already disrupted health and hospital system.

The Ministry of Health and the NPPC are today discussing whether to cancel the Aotearoa Traditional Performing Arts Festival and the New Zealand International Festival of the Arts for public health safety. An announcement is expected later today.

STAGE 5

Media release 1:

EXERCISE ONLY

Notional Media Release

14 February 2002

Hospitals overflowing as pandemic hits

Only people presenting with severe complications of influenza being admitted to hospitals as health facilities around the country struggle to cope with the large number of people succumbing to influenza. All other acute admissions are still being admitted, for example for chest pain or road traffic accidents.

The number of cases of influenza-like illness reported by the surveillance network is at its highest since the Ministry of Health declared a public health emergency on 31 January 2002.

For the week ending February 8 New Zealand's Institute for Environmental and Scientific Research reported 700 cases of influenza-like illness per 100,000 population.

National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC) chair Lance Jennings said where appropriate, people with less serious illnesses are being managed at home.

"Younger, normally fit and healthy people are being asked to recuperate at home. Hospitals are operating their triage criteria to prioritise admissions. "

"This means all non-urgent surgical and other procedures have been disrupted as hospital staff concentrate their time and skills on people suffering from influenza."

Mortality among hospitalised patients has reached 30 percent placing considerable pressure on the country's morgue facilities. Temporary morgues in refrigeration trucks are being established.

Adding to the difficulties for the primary and secondary health sector are the low staffing levels as a large number of staff fall ill from the virus.

Insert about staff absenteeism

St Johns Ambulance staff and other health volunteer organisations have been helping District Health Boards with the delivery of hospital, community and public health services.

Media Release 2:

Wellington, 14 February 2002

The World Health Organization (WHO) is continuing to monitor the global spread of this virus, coordinate the distribution of limited vaccine stocks and communicate with public health authorities around the world.

New Zealand has been asked to assist with the mobilisation of resources to the countries in the Western Pacific including Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands.

A further teleconference between the National Pandemic Planning Committee (NPPC), Ministry of Health and DHB management is held to assess the impact of the A/Wellsun virus in each of the DHB regions. Discussion centers on the availability of vaccine and anti-viral drugs as secondary and university students head back to their studies after the summer holidays.

During the teleconference between the NPPC and DHB Emergency Management teams the DHBs are alerted to future events that may feel the impact of the current influenza pandemic.

A government department chief executive and a television broadcaster are the latest high profile victims of this influenza virus and are suffering its debilitating effects. In the week ending February 8, sentinel practitioners are reporting 700 cases of 100,000 population nationally. Mortality among hospitalised patients has reached 30 percent placing considerable pressure on the country’s morgue facilities. Temporary morgues are being established.

Here is a link for Operation Virex
                              Last edited by Sally Furniss; May 17, 2006, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X