Pandemic threat-level market indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pandemic threat-level market indicators

Looks like you're right; maybe it's because GR started the thread.
    I'm away from home for two months on a dial-up but I will certainly be starting a new one in early April ...if it doesn't reappear by then.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post

seems that this is being discontinued.
      Maybe the economics has lost interest in bird flu...

Any other webpage with a birdflu - index ?
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Generally much of the bioflu plays have been playing their traditional roles of high beta stocks in the market fluctuations of the last months.

However the more traditional less speculative stocks seem to my mind to be not doing so bad. Solvay and Baxter seem to be doing well, GILD and MEDI have not been without attractions. While I do not have the analytic skills to do a regression against the pharma or biotech sector their relative strength (subjective) appears a bit odd.

Note the meanwhile the google index of news hits has fallen over the spring from 10K ish to 4K ish but may now be stabilizing. We are leaving the Northern Hemisphere flu season so one would expect a claw back in all bioflu plays ( and it apparent in the purer ones like BCRX) but some of the vax companies still appear a bit strong and it mystifies me.

The media may have lost interest but the countries such as indo, china and Egypt keep bubbling away....

Comment

Where is GR anyway?

Comment

apparantly he is banned/suspended from most forums now.
            Waiting for his reappearance...

Comment

Certainly he'll be back when TSHTF ...won't he ?

Comment

I miss him. Why was/is he suspended/banned from posting?
                Judith --

What the method does not allow for cannot be proven or disproven using it.

Comment

Hey I miss him too. GR is a lively character with some great information. I hope we do see his return to FT.

Comment

That's funny, I always assumed GR was a woman!

Comment

• Re: Pandemic threat-level market indicators

Interesting divergence. Luskin has a recent article (about this chart) at his website. He particularly likes AVII's Tamiflu competitor.
                      Last edited by Binkerbear; April 3, 2007, 09:01 PM. Reason: Add comment.

Comment

Hi,

The index does not appear on trend macrolytics front page any more, do you need to log in to get it now??

The last few days BCRX and SVA were doing quite well. Today SVA and MEDI were up while the market was down. Dont know whether it is stock specific news on top of the general market move.

Was expecting poor performance on all the bioflu plays as Northern Hemisphere flu season comes to end. newsflow on google is still around 2700 level which is low. However the Eygpt and Indo cases may do not seem to want to turn down.

Comment

Hi Doe: I found Luskin's article (and graph) doing a search (on his website)for 'avian flu' but I did not have to log in. I guess he now just does updates periodically. MEDI was up on takeover rumors but I haven't heard news on the others.

Comment

Don Luskin sent me an update:

Comment

That chart looks a whole lot more reasonable than the one I posted; clearly there was some major error afoot when he produced the earlier one that covers essentially the same dates.
                              I was very surprised when no one commented on the one that I posted since it indicated that something major was going on. Your updated chart seems to more accurately portray the real situation now - a low threat level. Thanks for posting that; it clears up a lot of confusion.

Comment

Today just before close: AVII up around 4 %, BCRX up around 8 %, and NVAX up around 10 %. Bears watching tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X