Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does any know where to get inexpensive powdered butter and sour cream?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does any know where to get inexpensive powdered butter and sour cream?

I was wondering if anyone has good resources for purchasing powdered butter, margarine and sour cream? The places I have found so far out out of the roof expensive.
    Thanks
    TEAR Center

Re: Does any know where to get inexpensive powdered butter and sour cream?

Hi Tear,

For powdered butter I'm using MollyMcButter from Walmart (in baking aisle). Canned butter is going to be stocked within the next month at the Internet grocer and has a shelf life of years.

I have also canned butter at home. It's inexpensive and very good (not hard to do at all.) If you need directions, just let me know.

K.

Comment

Thanks Kr105 for this and the other post about the cavity.

Comment

Tear,

I have canned butter too and it really is easy to do. We've tried some of it and it tends to be saltier than fresh butter so some people have suggested using unsalted butter or a combination when canning it. I had already purchased many pounds of butter that went into the freezer for canning so they were used and our canned butter is just a little salty.

We picked up a few jars of ghee as well. I found an online supplier the other day who accepts paypal and had reasonable shipping charges.

For powdered butter and sour cream, I ordered those online but not much of either. Just wanted a little on hand in case we run out of canned butter and ghee. Someone on another forum listed lots of food substitutions and a recipe for sour cream was among them.

SOUR CREAM
        Add one tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to one cup (8 fluid ounces) of undiluted evaporated milk and allow it to stand for five minutes.

A couple of sources for the powdered versions that don't rob you on shipping charges are beprepared.com and myfoodstorage.com. The myfoodstorage source ships free, but the delivery is slow. You can get a 1# mylar bag of butter powder for only $5.95 there and they also have the #2.5 cans and the #10 cans.

I haven't tried the evaporated milk idea yet, so I can't say how close it is to real sour cream in flavor or texture.
        "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
        "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

If you have a Amish store close by, this is a great place to purchase powdered butter and powdered sour cream. They also have many other dried goods to choose from. Their prices are reasonable also. The closes one to me is about 45 minutes away but has been worth my time.

The tip on canning butter sounds great! I didn't realize you could can butter thanks everyone! I would love to know how!

Comment

if you havent yet purchased the canned butter from internet grocer- be aware it doesnt taste like the butter we are used to from the grocery store.

its richer, and has a funny (to me) taste thats almost "fishy". I'm not quite sure I like it. It might be really good mixed half and half with cheap store butter.

margarine is one of the worst things you can put into your body! like other trans fats, it screws up the cellular walls and affects many receptors and cell processes. even the so-called "transfat free" contain oils that arent good for people!http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html

"stick" with butter- its much healthier and safer!
            Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
            Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
            Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
            Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
            Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
            To weave it into fabric..
            Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
            All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Here's the directions I used for canning butter. Some people have expressed concern that it may not be safe, but the jars seal and remain sealed consistently. If you use all salted butter when making it, it seems to concentrate the saltiness. If you're not fond of salty butter, you might want to substitute unsalted or go half and half when canning it. I used half pint jars and found that roughly four and a half pounds of butter fills 12 of them.

BASIC BUTTER CANNING DIRECTIONS
              reprinted from
              http://www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter.html
              1. Use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.

2. Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.

3. While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.

4. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.

5. Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.

6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar!

Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.
              "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
              "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

We just purchased one case of butter from the internet grocer website. Looking forward to trying some. If, by the way you find it too salty, then feel free to mash the butter flat and rinse it under cold running water. Mash and rinse, repeat, until the salt is gone. Butter does keep far longer however, if it is salted, the more salt the longer it keeps.

You can make your own buttermilk, yogurt, and sour cream. You will need to purchase all of these items in your market now. You need to look for those products that are labeled 'live cultures'. You can also order starters on-line at some cheese supply businesses. Once you get home, then pour the contents into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, remove from trays and drop the cubes into a zip type freezer bag. When you want to serve one of these items you will have to plan a day in advance. Take out one of the cubes and drop it into reconstituted dry milk or evaporated milk thinned with water 50/50. Stir the contents until the cube has thawed and been well mixed with the milk. Cover with a tea towel and set the bowl aside in a warm (not hot) place for 24 hours. The longer you leave the mixture in a warm place the tangier the product will be. Therefore, taste the milk mix and when it has reached the desired strength, put it in the refrigerator or another cool place.

Your starter cubes should be either used or replaced about every three months. You may replace some of the freezer cubes with your own home grown yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk. It would probably be a good idea to split up your starters into a couple of different freezer bags in case one of your starters started to pick up a peculiar taste. That way you would have another starter batch to choose from and you could discard the starter that didn't taste good.
                Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                Thank you,
                Shannon Bennett

Comment

You can get great prices and products from Macey's grocery outlets or Blue Chip foods (http://www.bluechipgroup.net/FAQ.html) in Salt Lake City, Utah. I have the powdered eggs and margarine. I bought the eggs for $10 per can with a 1 to 1 ratio of egg and water. Most are 2 to 1.
                  Last edited by LMonty; September 7, 2006, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you that is great. Have you tasted the product yet? I know that my old university use to use a liquid egg product for the scrambled eggs and it was very good, can hardly believe that I am saying that about mass produced cafeteria food but it was nice and moist and tasty. I would think that the liquid needs to be kept refrigerated.

Did you get the eggs for Blue Chip or Macey's

Thanks again!
                    TM

Originally posted by gjs47
                    You can get great prices and products from Macey's grocery outlets or Blue Chip foods (http://www.bluechipgroup.net/FAQ.html) in Salt Lake City, Utah. I have the powdered eggs and margarine. I bought the eggs for $10 per can with a 1 to 1 ratio of egg and water. Most are 2 to 1.

Comment

I got the eggs from Macey's. Another great resource is Kitchen Kneads.

There is concern about lack of refrigeration and electricity. Vacuum packing may be an option. There is a hand vacuum packer for under $10 that will reseal most any vac sealed glass or plastic container like spaghetti sauce, salad dressing, pickles, etc. It will also work on resealable plastic bags. It's amazing. They say the vac packed butter will last 3 years on the shelf!

Comment

wow this si great information. thank you so much. I'll be looking this up right away. sounds very good! Your information is very helpful. Thanks bunches!
                        TM

Comment

*Nestle Media Crema/Table Cream. Substitute for cream or sour cream. Available at ethnic groceries. I got it at WMart grocery in Texas, mex food aisle. Very good, and many uses. I made a good Fettucini Alfredo with it.

*Walton Farms canned sour cream powder: Good.

*For powdered butter, Molly McButter seems as good as any. I have it frozen. It's even OK on potatoes when mixed with a neutral tasting fat source.

*I have stick butter frozen in vac bags. I also have the jars to can it. I doubt I will actually can it unless TSHTF, but if you have freezer room for butter, go ahead and buy the jars. (I also have jars purchased to be able to can other stuff in my freezer, if it comes to that)

Honeyville dry egg powder is not bad. I'm not much of an egg lover, but I made Migas (eggs, cheese, salsa, tortillas) with them and they were good.

Nestle Nido dry full-fat milk is decent. Like non-fat dry milk, it needs to be cold, well mixed, and allowed to sit several hours before drinking. The usual dry mild tricks apply here, like a drop of vanilla, etc.

Shannon, I never thought of freezing starters. That's a great idea.

Comment

There was an offer of a 20% discount from a FluWikie friend on an earlier post.

Also, someone mentioned earlier about buying microfiber cloths and items. I can't find that post. I have been looking for these products and haven't found any. Does anyone know where microfiber items can be purchased, online or other? Do you know of any fabric stores that carry the actual material?

Thx,

G

Comment

Back in the dark ages (1960s), I used to buy cheap bacon, canned from Poland. It was wonderful, much better than supermarket bacon. Does anyone have sources for canned bacon? imported canned bacon?? cheap imported canned bacon???

Also, canned chicken is Costco is very tasty and easy to use with canned soups to make casseroles.
                              Judith --

What the method does not allow for cannot be proven or disproven using it.

Comment

Working...
                              X