The "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon-what to do about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon-what to do about it

It's a common problem preppers and survivalists face frequently. Once it becomes known that you are prepared for a problem, be it bird flu, earthquake, hurricane or other disaster- then it is almost guaranteed you'll hear the words "Well then, if it happens, I'm coming to your house!"

What to do about it? The most common reaction is stark surprise! How could this individual take your message of concern, and suddenly think that you would prepare for them, too?? Yet, its heard so frequently that it must be an almost universal reaction. And the common reaction that it creates is concern- its hard enough to prep for yourself and loved ones, but to have the resources to prep for the neighborhood- or to even want to- is pretty rare!

A few other folks -even one- turning up at your door expecting shelter is bound to upset your carefully laid plans. While some persons might be an asset- many who dont have the forethought to prepare in the face of danger will tend to be liabilities. They are not mentally prepared to live in the new reality. Each additional mouth to feed decreases the survival window.

Because of this, many preppars and survivalists tell no one of their preparations. It creates quite a lot of tension and in some, a moral dillemma. How to explain the threat, advise others-especially those you care about- but still keep safe the loved ones in your care?

Out of this dilemma the "Ticket Concept" was born.

Please read the linked article for information on the Ticket Concept.

Then consider how it can apply in your situation. First, you have to mean what you say- that without following your instructions, you will turn them away. Think that through, "game it" in your mind. Until you convince yourslef you mean it- you wont be able to convince others! (Tough for us women, you know!) After you believe you can do it, then go to the Second Step.

Decide what size Ticket will gain the party entry to your home/retreat/community. Make a physical list on a small piece of paper you can carry in your wallet. Hand it to the individual if the situation arises. "Here's the price of admission- your Ticket".

Look them straight in the eye, and say again : "This is what it takes-without it, dont even think of putting my family at risk by showing up at my place."

The Ticket Concept is what you make of it, the rules are yours, customized to your individual situation, and the individuals you apply it to. That's the power. It conveys like nothing else the seriousness of the situation, and has actually been known to convert a few folks into preparationists.

I've used it, with apparent success- it certainly causes the person to back down and think!

I'd love to hear your reports of people's response to the being handed a Ticket List.

Linked by Permission of the Rubicon
    Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
    Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
    Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
    Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
    Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
    To weave it into fabric..
    Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
    All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Re: The "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon-what to do about it

It shocked me when a colleague (who is not a close friend) announced to everyone (during a discussion on avian influenza) that if TSHTF, she was packing up her family and moving to my house! Since I've not made a big deal about prepping, this surprised the heck out of me.

My response was simple: You can ring the bell but don't be surprised if no one answers it.

(I'm actually in the process of moving next month. Same neighborhood but different house. -- not looking forward to packing up the preps for the move.)

I am appalled that people would feel free to come freeload at my house. It's a simple solution -- I'm not giving out my new address.

K.

Comment

I stopped telling people in my neighborhood after one of them said they were just going to come to my house. I told her I was going to have family only and they totaled 13 and included 10 large dogs. I wish I had just told her not a chance, then looked her right in the eye.
      Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
      Thank you,
      Shannon Bennett

Comment

I usually severly understate my preps. Since I live a very simple life, most folks think I don't have more.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

"Do not advertise your preparation". The closest ally I have in this world stated those words a few months past when advice was given to prepare for the possibility of BF Pandemic. Yes, we've only been preparing for a few months now.

When it comes to relatives and friends, or even acquaintances, it is usually a casual type of mention along with, "look at the Katrina people," and how unprepared they were. Then the subject is dropped. Beyond that it must fall into the realm of mega detachment coupled with reasonable compassion.

And, I am new here at FluTrackers, so please bear with me as the ins and outs are absorbed. Never do I want to offend anyone, just in some way be useful and bring calm whenever necessary.

Goju: You are the most interesting person thus far. You meditate? Interesting, as meditation usually produces passive traits.

Comment

Many people I know are not preparing and will use the same type of comment "Well, if it happens I'll just come live with you.". It's as though they can't perceive that anything like this could really happen in their corner of the world. Hence; they chose not to spend any of their funds on preparation and figure someone else will bail them out. I truly believe many of these people feel that the government will step in to help if things get bad. I have never addressed any of these comments and maybe at this point I need to.

Comment

I pracrice sitting and moving meditation... goju = hard / soft

i can be passive and extremely active...
              I want to devote more time to this thread when i have time...
              Later

Comment

The "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon-what to do about it

Comment

I like bagels with my locks.

Comment

That's cute St Michael. I may have to use that suggestion.

Comment

Hello I'm new to the flu tracker and have been prepping since the Y2K episode. I've had the school nurse (I work for an elementary school). I casually mentioned that I needed to buy gloves for the house and she asked why. I told here for my prep items. She laughed.My response to her was DON'T come to my house if you're sick. I have to huge german shepherds and plans for protecting my family. She promptly stopped laughing!

Comment

Sorry. I just realized how bad I did on the last post. Told you I was new to this! I'll do better next time!

Comment

Welcome Mrs. Tina. New to this or not, we want you to feel welcome here at FT.

This thread is very disturbing to all of us. What is the right thing to do? Each of us will come up with a different answer depending on our own level of comfort. It is important for each of us to remember that what is right for one of us may not be for another for a host of reasons. Hopefully though, we can come together with some solid solutions for all of us to actively pursue.
                          Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                          Thank you,
                          Shannon Bennett

Comment

Welcome Ms. Tina. You do not even want to ask what I have done on the forum to posts and threads!!

Comment

Regarding LeaSoul:
                              "Do not advertise your preparation". The closest ally I have in this world stated those words a few months past when advice was given to prepare for the possibility of BF Pandemic. Yes, we've only been preparing for a few months now.

When it comes to relatives and friends, or even acquaintances, it is usually a casual type of mention along with, "look at the Katrina people," and how unprepared they were. Then the subject is dropped. Beyond that it must fall into the realm of mega detachment coupled with reasonable compassion.

My closest ally also advised this, along with detachment and contemplation versus meditation. The bird flu has brought a new dimension to my Path.

Comment

Working...
                              X